PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Cheesecake

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Cherry
Dec 14th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Yeh, but mine has vegan cream cheese in it too. (Follow green link below...think it's in the desserts section)

danaeonyx
Dec 24th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Hiya guys!

I was thinking of making a cheesecake tomorrow with some vegan cheesecake mix I bought. I was wondering if anyone knows how I can make the jelly like topping the usual ones have?

If not, I'm thinking of just sprinkling cinnamon and brown sugar on the top and maybe slicing up strawberries

fiamma
Dec 24th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Do you mean a glaze? I should have a recipe for an orange one.

danaeonyx
Dec 24th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Yes! That's the word :)

fiamma
Dec 24th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Okay :) I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

cookey
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM
I thought you just put jam or fruit on top?

Risker
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Asda do sachets of Orange jelly glaze

GoneVegan
Oct 7th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Hi,

I've asked this question before. I want to have this incredible sounding cheesecake. TO make it, I need "Egg Replacer". I've asked here previously. A couple of people have been helpful directing me to stores in the UK. However, I'm in Los Angeles.

I've looked in Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Trader Joe's, and Ralph's (a regular supermarket). I've been looking for it next to the Egg Beaters and in the Vegan food section.

I REALLY want this cheesecake:
http://www.invinciblemuffin.org/vegan_cheesecake.html

Can someone help?

thanks

Roxy
Oct 7th, 2007, 06:23 AM
I have found it at my local small health food store (the one that sells vitamins and stuff). I've also seen it in the larger regular grocery stores. But I'm in Canada so it might be a little different in Cali.

cookey
Oct 7th, 2007, 10:47 AM
There are lots of recipes for vegan cheesecake which do not have egg replacer in, how about you try one that is more tofu based? I've made one before that has a topping made of silken tofu, dates, lemon juice, apple juice and tahini then baked.
I've never used egg replacer myself. Sometimes when a recipe calls for it, I use soya flour instead.

Cherry
Oct 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I'd just miss the egg replacer out if I were you. Sounds like a strange addition anyway as chilled cheesecakes don't have egg in them in the first place, and it should be firm enough with all that cream cheese in it.

angelamc
Oct 8th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Henry's marketplace carries egg replacer. There is one in Chino Hills and one in Rancho Cucamonga, which is a bit off a drive from LA, but my parents live in Chino so I usually go there every 2 weeks or so. Henry's is owned by Wild Oats so I'm suprised that one store has it but the other doesn't. The cookbook "Vegan With a Vengance" has suggestions on how to replace eggs in a recipe. I own the book and would have posted some of the suggestions for you, but a friend is borrowing it right now.

spockafina
Oct 10th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I find it in the baking section - it's dry, in a box - Ener-G Egg Replacerhttp://www.ener-g.com/graphics/store/realproduct/rl_1414.jpg

Noogle
Oct 10th, 2007, 10:31 PM
It looks lovely - does anyone know of the UK equivalent to the measurements?

Kyla
Oct 10th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Here is the website you can order it from, along with many other vegan products.
http://www.ener-g.com/Articles/ArticlePage.aspx?pageId=397

tipsy
Oct 10th, 2007, 10:41 PM
i cannot imagine for one second that whole foods doesnt have that ener-g egg replacer.

or any other health food store.

try asking an employee. its not that obscure of an item that they'd look at you funny...:p

cookey
Oct 11th, 2007, 08:21 AM
It looks lovely - does anyone know of the UK equivalent to the measurements?
"Cup" measures are available, I got mine in Wilkinsons. I now use them all the time for internet recipes. Or just use a cup(not mug) and estimate.

dreamqueen
Oct 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Why bother buying egg replacer when you can just make it yourself?

Mix 2 tbsp flaxmeal with 3 tbsp of water and let them sit long enough to congeal. This equals one egg.

RubyDuby
Oct 11th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I always blend the flaxmeal and water til it thickens, but it is pretty neato how the textures turns all slimey like a raw egg :)

plus its way healthier.

but... not sure if it would be suitable texture for cheesecake.
There is EnerG replacer at the Whole Foods Market here... did u ask the customer service ppl? they will order some if they dont have it in.

foxytina_69
Oct 12th, 2007, 12:35 AM
thats the kind of egg replacer i use in everything.

dreamqueen
Oct 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM
but... not sure if it would be suitable texture for cheesecake.

I don't know, but I use flax eggs in absolutely all my baking and it always turns out nicely.

Oct 14th, 2007, 03:58 AM
I was going crazy for awhile trying to find energ egg replacer until I realized it was dry and in a box. The whole time, I had been looking in the cold section where the soy yogurts and stuff are.

auntierozzi
Oct 14th, 2007, 10:53 AM
If you look at the ingredients of egg replacer it seems to be mainly potato flour and salt. Potato flour can definitely thicken up soups etc and might be worth experimenting with since it's sold in the supermarket next to all the other flours etc..

miamivegan
Jul 8th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Hi, I am from Miami but married to someone from Hull. We are having a wedding celebration there. I want to make a vegan cheesecake. I have never attempted one here but I know all the recipes I have use some ingredients that can be hard to find in Hull (and vice versa). I found one UK recipe that had creamed block coconut which I can't get here. Can some of you recommend your favorite recipe. Thank you!

RubyDuby
Jul 9th, 2008, 07:14 PM
here's one (http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getrecipe.php?section=desserts&recipe=chocolate_cheesecake). :)