PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Cheesecake

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

RubyDuby
Jul 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM
and a few more (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16794). theres a link to more in that thread.

hope u can find one that works for you!

vava
Jul 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/vegan-eggnog-cheesecake.html

miamivegan
Jul 12th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Thank you all! I am going to try to of the recipes today as a practice run.

ms.vegan
Nov 30th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Heya! Ms.Vegan loves a cheesecake, but we made one recently for my son's 14th birthday, we followed a vs recipe, to the letter, but it used tofu? Tofu is lush, but the cheesecake was eww, gross! we all thought so, sorry tofu, sorry vegan society, but that recipe jus didn't wash with us! So, any ideas? How can we make a scrummy vegan cheesecake without using tofu? everything seems to point in tofu's direction...all the veggie recipes use phillie cheese, can you use cheeseley or some other vegan spready type cheese instead? If not, anyone got any yummy ideas? am open to experimenting, but don't send me any pics in your replies, cause Ii can't see them lol! Thanks fellow vegans, look forward to hearing back. Much love, Jennie. xx

fondducoeur
Nov 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I make this pretty often: http://www.invinciblemuffin.org/vegan_cheesecake.html.

Its delicious. And it is Tofutti cream cheese based (which is made from tofu, but taste wonderful). I try to avoid desserts made with tofu as I can't usually get them to taste right.

Anyway, this cheesecake is great with fruit topping, or else I often make a mocha one by subbing in strong coffee that has been chilled for the water (plus a little extra) , and adding melted chocolate chips.

I hope this helps!

ms.vegan
Nov 30th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Thankyou so much! I have wondered if that Tofutti cheese was made from tofu, but you'd never guess would you? the texture is so...urm...different? tofu hasta be the most versatile thing I've ever eaten or cooked with, amazing inbvention! Thanks again, have copied/pasted that link, and will give it a try in the week! Jen. Ps, what does your signature mean, if you don't mind me asking? xx

AliBlack
Nov 30th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Have you tried Cherry's chocolate cheesecake? It's divine:D
http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/getrecipe.php?section=desserts&recipe=chocolate_cheesecake

Use Tofutti cream cheese instead of Swedish Soft (cos I can't get it).

I have raspberry cheesecake and also a lemon one, both made with tofu but they don't taste of tofu! If anyone wants the recipes.

Rakey
Nov 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM
tofutti cream cheese is the way to go with this one.
Or use silken style tofu, which does work well, as it's softer and sweeter than normal tofu. (I used silken tofu to make choc brownies the other day, and my mates thought i'd bought them at Tesco)

Cherry
Nov 30th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Use Tofutti cream cheese instead of Swedish Soft (cos I can't get it). :) Yeh...sorry about that. When I invented the recipe I could ONLY get swedish soft, but I use the tofutti one now. I must change that at some point.

Marrers
Dec 1st, 2008, 12:44 PM
I'd say silken style tofu is a must for a cheesecake. It is long life stuff in a tetra pack, supermarkets often sell it in the chinese food area with the soy sauces, coconut milks etc. It comes in different textures such as soft or firm but people who cook a bit more can adivse better as to which one to use.

Don't try it with normal fresh tofu (or smoked tofu as we did once by accident - not a nice dessert at all!)

fondducoeur
Dec 1st, 2008, 06:55 PM
Thankyou so much! I have wondered if that Tofutti cheese was made from tofu, but you'd never guess would you? the texture is so...urm...different? tofu hasta be the most versatile thing I've ever eaten or cooked with, amazing inbvention! Thanks again, have copied/pasted that link, and will give it a try in the week! Jen. Ps, what does your signature mean, if you don't mind me asking? xx

No problem! I hope it works out.
As for my signature, I am engaged and my fiance's last name is Beane:)

clementine
Jan 21st, 2009, 03:24 AM
The best vegan cheese cake I have ever had was from Sweets From the Earth. Its a toronto based company : http://sweetsfromtheearth.com/products.htm

jimmeh
Mar 15th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Ok I need help with making tofu cheesecake. Most of the recipes I've seen require that you bake the cheesecake before serving. I tried this and the silken tofu ended up all "set", like a scrambled egg consistency. I noticed that most of the recipes I've seen are American - are cheesecakes in the US usually baked? I want something creamy like we get in the UK. Is it safe to not bake silken tofu? Has anyone had good (or bad) experiences with non-baked cheesecake?

cat21
Mar 15th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Ok I need help with making tofu cheesecake. Most of the recipes I've seen require that you bake the cheesecake before serving. I tried this and the silken tofu ended up all "set", like a scrambled egg consistency. I noticed that most of the recipes I've seen are American - are cheesecakes in the US usually baked? I want something creamy like we get in the UK. Is it safe to not bake silken tofu? Has anyone had good (or bad) experiences with non-baked cheesecake?

I recently made this from the Eighth Day cafe in Manchester. It turned out really good and really lemony, yummm! I know you have to cook part of it, but you dont need to stick it in the oven, just chill it. :)

Ingredients - Serves 1 to 12
Base
12oz (350g) digestive biscuits
6 oz (175g) melted margarine

Filling
1 packet plain tofu
juice and rind of 2 lemons
2 oz (50g) cornflour
3 table spoons golden syrup
pint (450ml) water

Method

To make the base, crumble the biscuits into a bowl, melt the margarine and add to the biscuit crumbs. Mix and press into a well-greased, 8 inch diameter flan tin. Try not to get a thick welt where the sides meet the base. Set on one side to cool.

Put the water, golden syrup and cornflour in a pan. Heat gradually to boiling point, stirring well to avoid lumps. When boiling, reduce the heat and allow to thicken.
Once the mixture has thickened, add the tofu and lemon and blend until creamy. Pour into the base and chill.

This cheesecake is good as it is, but for a really special treat, top with black currants, raspberries or similar fresh fruit.

jimmeh
Mar 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Brilliant. Thanks cat21. Sounds like the cheesecake we get in Mono in Glasgow. I'll spend the rest of the weekend experimenting.

ZoeP
Jul 2nd, 2011, 11:11 PM
After months of fantasising about cheesecake, I found the parselysoup cheesecake recipe and have ordered some tofutti online. So I'm just waiting for it to arrive, and then I'm going to make me some delicious chocolate cheescake and take it to my studygroup! i am ridiculously excited about this!
Bit nervous though, about the idea of giving a load of omnivores a vegan cheesecake, I want it to be a success! :undecided: Any tips?

twinkle
Jul 2nd, 2011, 11:57 PM
I know this is a bit sad but I'd say don't tell them it's vegan until after they've tried it. People are weird about "vegan" food, but will happily stuff their faces with food where they don't have the first idea of the ingredients, in my experience.

Gwydion
Jul 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM
The above ^
I want it to be a success!It should be if sticking to the recipe. Our Cherry-pops is smart one :)

Risker
Jul 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
I found the parselysoup cheesecake recipe and have ordered some tofutti online.

If you can get it, then I'd use pure cheese spread rather than tofutti, it's useless as a cheese spread but perfect for cheesecake.

twinkle
Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:08 PM
I haven't seen the Pure cheese spread for many a moon!

Risker
Jul 3rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
I haven't seen the Pure cheese spread for many a moon!

Same. Actually, now I think about it I seem to recall someone saying it had been discontinued for reformulating or something.

ZoeP
Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:08 PM
I know this is a bit sad but I'd say don't tell them it's vegan until after they've tried it. People are weird about "vegan" food, but will happily stuff their faces with food where they don't have the first idea of the ingredients, in my experience.

Yeah, I've experienced that already. strangely enough, even with things that aren't specifically vegan, bnut just happen to be so. The sainsburys lighter choice salad cream happens to be vegan, and despite being the same as i have always used in my potato salad in my pre vegan days, she still thought it wasn't as nice! ridiculous!
I'm a bit skeptical about the tofu in a cheesecake myself tbh :s

Cathriiine
Jul 19th, 2011, 06:35 PM
I made this on Saturday, and my family said it tasted almost exactly like New York cheesecake (only with lemon), and I agree - it's just delicious! And you can just drop the lemon and add vanilla instead, or chocolate, berries or whatever you like. I think I'll make it a raspberry swirl next time. :cool:

I tried to put pictures in this thread, but I couldn't, for some reason. But there are pictures of the cake (both finished and the whole baking process) in my blog, here (http://veganeren.blogspot.com/2011/07/lemon-new-york-cheesecake.html).

Crust:
1/2 package biscuits of your choice, I use Digestive
About 50 grams vegan margarine, softened or melted
2 tablespoons brown sugar

I usually crush the biscuits in my food processor and add the margarine and sugar while pulsing, you may have to add some more margarine.
Put the crust-mixture in a round cake pan, bottom covered with wax paper. Press it a little up the sides. Put the cake pan in the fridge while you prepare the filling:

2 boxes (one box is 8 ounces) of Tofutti cream cheese, original
1 package (about 350 gram?) silken tofu, press out the water
1 cup (2,5 dl) sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
The shredded peel of 2 lemons

Set the oven to 180 C/350 F.

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend it until it's very smooth. Taste the filling, and add more sugar if it's not sweet enough. I think it's perfect!
Pour it over the crust, put it in the oven and let it bake for 40-45 minutes.

Take it out of the oven and let it cool for about half an hour before you put it in the fridge and let it sit there for at least 4-5 hours before serving. When the cake is finished cooling in the fridge, it's very easy to remove it from the cake pan and put it on a nice cake platter with the help of a spatula.
It's a good idea to make this cake the day before you plan to serve it, so it can sit in the fridge overnight. :)