PDA

View Full Version : Do you rely on processed foods or ready meals as part of your vegan diet?

Pages : [1] 2

fiamma
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I was just curious as to how many people rely on processed foods or ready meals as part of their vegan diet. I don't consider tofu a processed food, but things like tofu hot dogs and burgers yes. Perhaps some people may have different opinions as to what constitutes processed foods... anyway I'd be interested to hear your views. Thanks :)

Look4Hope
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I eat the Amy's brand and Gardenburger brand frozen dinners. Also the Gardenburger and Boca Burger veggie burgers. I am new to veganism and need the extra help. I wasn't even veggie for long so treating veggies as the main part of a meal is something I need to work at. However, I don't eat the frozen dinners every night and I supplement them with some vegetable I cook or salads I prepare.

applepie
Dec 16th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Tofu is the only processed food I eat occasionally. Otherwise, my credo is "the less processed the better for you". Most of the processed stuff available also puts me off because it's made to resemble meat. I also enjoy cooking and trying out new things, so usually I do my own cooking. If I'm pressed for time, I will have leftovers frozen for this purpose, or it's just sandwiches or muesli.
I can understand though that processed foods can be of great help especially if you're new to veganism.
Edit: As people seem to take soya milk and yogurt as processed foods - which I wasn't thinking of as such - I have to add them to my list of processed foods I consume.

Tigerlily
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I guess I would consider processed foods to be fake meats, already made meals you heat up, pre-made desserts, soy yogurt and soy milk, etc. I guess anything that has already been pre-made. I personally don't think all processed foods are bad. Yes some are high in sodium and preservatives but things like soy milk is a processed food but it isn't high in the 'bad things'.

So yes, I guess my diet would be "high" in processed foods but I don't think it's wrong or bad. I'm not an elite vegan Nazi who makes everything from scratch and I don't want to be. :)

sugarmouse
Dec 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I try to eat mostly fresh foods and feel guilty when I eat things liek bread, meat substitutes,cheese substitutes and pasta..I try to minimise them...but I do not cut them out completely. Bread and pasta (especially pasta) make me ill anyways so I steer clear!

Mermaid07
Dec 16th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I love tofu and veggie burger and eat them at least twice a week! I also buy tofu occasionally and some dark chocolate! Soy flax seed chips are good too. Sometimes I also buy vegan muffins.

auntierozzi
Dec 17th, 2006, 07:37 AM
I like to cook fresh stuff best. Occasionally I get Quinoa or other grain 'burger' type things and also regularly buy organic soya yoghurt and milk.

fiamma
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Ok, I've managed to add a poll, which I couldn't before, so I'd be curious to see your votes :) For the sake of clarity for the poll, by processed foods I intend things like pies, sausages, ready meals and manufactured desserts. I wouldn't include tofu, nut milks or yogurt.

Pob
Dec 17th, 2006, 10:40 AM
We do buy and use them, but we don't rely on them.

harpy
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Yes, I wasn't sure how to respond to the poll, because like Pob we buy them and have them now and then but they are not a major part of our diet.

I rarely buy anything that I would describe as a ready meal but I'll incorporate things like veggie sausages and fake cheese (and tofu) into an otherwise home-made meal. We do have bread most days, and pasta fairly often too.

veggiegirl3
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I've been eating a lot of meat substitutions lately. They're high in protien and I've been craving it. Plus, they were quick and easy during finals!

I don't tend to eat very much processed/fefined carbs though. I like whole grains better and feel good about eating them. BUT... I do tend to like soy ice cream and eat it regularly. :)

SeaSiren
Dec 17th, 2006, 01:56 PM
No, not anymore. I eat a whole foods diet.

Roxy
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:22 AM
I voted yes. We buy and use fake meat products reguarly and Amy's frozen meals and soups and chilli come in very handy sometimes. I also like the Starlite Cuisine vegan tacquitos, but I only buy them when they're on sale. :D

Risker
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:24 AM
I rarely use them, they're just for lazy days when I can't be bothered to think of something to cook.

aubergine
Dec 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Only when we're in a pinch.

twinkle
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:41 PM
We do buy and use them, but we don't rely on them.

Same here. I could quite happily cook everything from scratch but sometimes it's easier not to. It really depends what I feel like eating, how much time I have, etc., etc.

emmapresley
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:42 PM
i cook pretty much everything from scratch..now and before..not always appreciated tho..but..it does completely bring down the quantity of rubbish the bin men need to take away cos the peelings of veg go into the c.bin, and there just isn't much packaging kicking about.

without sounding TOO much like my mother..
"preparation and organisational skills are THE keys to success!"

^^ this has to be said in an overenthusiastic yet slightly nagging tone of voice :rolleyes:

pavotrouge
Dec 24th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I also prefer making things from scratch.

Processed foods I do use regularly are milks apart from almond milk (but I want to make my own rice milk sometime soon!), sometimes (maybe once a week) tofu, tempeh, saitan and soy yoghurt and very very rarely, as a kind of treat, processed fake meats or soy cheese.

I've become to used to making things myself that most bought stuff tastes rather bland to me, anyway.

Making things from scratch is so much better for you, the environment and can also be fun.

veganbikerboy
Dec 24th, 2006, 11:38 PM
I would say I rely on them, i don't like it, but it is just the way my life seems to be at the moment.

I don't often have the time or motivation to cook for one, I have a terrible habit of eating on the run, I am really poor at planning my meals.

It is a shame because I love cooking and love fresh, organic veg. I'm hoping i will have more of my own produce from my garden this year and hopefully with the prospect of 'free' healthy food i will be better fed:D

satirecafe
Dec 26th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Currently I don't, but I will very soon once I begin college:eek:

Bic
Dec 27th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I used to eat prepared foods quite a bit, but in the past 2 weeks have been completely without. I'm cooking all my meals now and I must say I perfer it this way. Taking time to prepare a meal gives me a better idea of what I'm eating and how much.
I could eat the prepared foods quite quickly and without much attention payed to calories and serving size - but constantly measuring things out for recipes has stopped that problem.

pat sommer
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:14 PM
For myself, not often. For omni dinner guests anything I can fool them with!

Yogini
Dec 28th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I eat them occasionally. I hardly rely on them. I do rely on brown rice, fruit, filtered water, and certain veggies such as carrots.

rantipole
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I eat cereal just about everyday. Also, I love veggie meat products. There are also these premade Indian dinners that I love. I usually add fresh stuff to them (rice, greens, etc.) to make them more nutritious.

I don't have a problem with processed foods, so long as you are careful what is in them.

Cheers,
rant

grillie
Dec 30th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Yes. Vegan icecream, hotdogs, sausages, Zoglos schnitzels and nuggets, burgers, canned soups, Tofutti soycheese, frozen chinese dumplings and spring rolls, samozas, pasties........ anything I can get my hands on, really.

One day I will bite the bullet and become a raw-fooder, but not just now.