PDA

View Full Version : Pretzels

vegpunk
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Hi, I'm new here and was wondering what "U DAIRY" means. It's on a package of pretzels that doesn't appear to have dairy in it. The ingredients are: unbleached wheat flour, water, salt, malt, dextrose, canola oil, yeast, and soda. The allergy information says it's produced in a facility that handles peanut butter. Does anyone know anything about this?

harpy
Dec 18th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Not much, but I think it's to do with certification of foods as kosher - according to Jewish dietary rules you aren't supposed to mix certain foods (mainly dairy with meat I think) and if it's labelled dairy it's OK to eat with dairy but not with meat. Or something like that... please don't take my word for it though!

If no-one here knows the answer, you might be able to find out more by googling on "dairy kosher" - I found this for starters.
http://ask.yahoo.com/20011109.html

vegpunk
Dec 18th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Thanks, I wasn't sure if I could eat them, so I just left them alone. This helped, thanks a lot.

harpy
Dec 18th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Hi vegpunk. You're welcome, but we still don't really know whether they're vegan, do we? :D From the ingredients list, like you I can't see why they wouldn't be.

vegpunk
Dec 21st, 2006, 02:35 AM
Thanks, from that link it sounds safe, so I don't think I'll worry about it.:D

howdawg
Dec 21st, 2006, 04:33 PM
Harpy was absolutely correct. The U Dairy has to do with the Jewish dietary laws of Kashrut. The pretzels are generally considered vegan and have no dairy in them, but are manufactured in a facility that handles dairy.

vegpunk
Dec 22nd, 2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks, howdawg, that helped a lot.