PDA

View Full Version : Mayonaise

Pages : [1] 2

david.summo
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Hey all has anyone found a good vegan mayonaise? most of what i have tried has seemed somehow too acidic :(

Risker
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I have plamil mayonaisse, tastes perfect to me.

twinkle
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I usually add olive oil to the Plamil mayo - that cuts the acidity. (Sometimes I also crush some garlic into it, if I don't need to be near anyone in the next few hours :) )

puffin
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I add a bit of soya cream to mayo.
You could add chives to zing it up a bit if you dont like plamil on its own.

Pob
Dec 18th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I prefer the garlic Plamil one to the plain one, but they are both good.

I use the plain one for making sauces (diluting with soya milk) instead of that yukky plain yoghurt (eg, tzatziki)

david.summo
Dec 18th, 2006, 05:30 PM
How much soya cream or oil or both do you suggest adding?

twinkle
Dec 18th, 2006, 05:35 PM
It's to your own personal taste really. I probably add about 1/4 to 1/3 of oil to the volume of mayo already in the bowl. If I add too much oil and it gets too bland I put some cider vinegar in to sharpen it up again.

Tigerlily
Dec 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM
If you're ever in North America, try Vegenaise. :) Tastes just like "real" mayonnaise!

Veryblue2
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Have you tried the Mayola Granovita Mayonnaise? I don't find it acidic, just a bit sweet. It's more runny than the Plamil though, more the consistency of salad cream.

Risker
Dec 18th, 2006, 10:48 PM
If you find plamil tastes too acidic is that because you are comparing it to the stuff that hellmans makes which is milder than proper mayonaisse? Or are my tastebuds just shot?

david.summo
Dec 18th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I dunno, i am not sure if i remember what helmans tastes like properly, its more just the way i taste it in that i find it too acidic to have too much of to my liking. I will have to try the mayonaise thing :)

HappyVegan
Dec 18th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I love veganaise as well, tastes just like the real thing to me too.

Paragon
Dec 18th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Another vote for Plamil, though I admit to liking it too much... :p

Mahk
Dec 19th, 2006, 12:22 AM
I love veganaise as well, tastes just like the real thing to me too.

I'm not too keen on this stuff, but I haven't given up. When I first tried Earth Balance Margarine I thought it was awful at first. Now I actually like it.:)

That same company that makes veganaise, Nasoya, also makes a really tasty "Tangy Blue" vegan dressing that I actually use not just for salads but also for mayonnaise situations like bread spread. I also like it as a celery stalk dip.

Tigerlily
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Nasoya doesn't make Vegenaise. I think Nasoyo makes Nayonnaise.

How does Earth Balance taste awful? :confused: It tastes like any old margarine/butter spread.

Mahk
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:50 AM
oops :o You're right. My mistake. I guess I haven't had Vegenaise, yet.

The first time I had Earth Balance I thought it tasted too salty and slightly artificial (using as a bagel/ English muffin spread). The second time I used it more sparingly and thought it was OK, but not identical to real butter. Now, 6 months later of once-a-week or so use, I like that I need less of it (lowers my sodium/fat intake) and think that it tastes just fine.

HappyVegan
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Yeah, I don't like nayonnaise either, it's way too tangy. Try the Grapeseed Veganaise (the one with the purple label), it's awesome! I also love Earth Balance, though I never used real butter before so I can't compare it to that.

Willynilly
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:35 AM
But why is the French national anthem called 'La Mayonnaise?'

Tikkin
Jan 8th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I found Plamil mayo a bit too sharp at first too, but have started to get used to it. I usually grind some garlic and pepper in though - it's great with chips! I'll try adding olive oil like others suggested, maybe it'll make it creamier.

Fyvel
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I really like Vegenaise (but to be honest it's the only vegan mayo I've tried - once I had it, I was hooked). I will eat it on anything, from fries, to veggie chicken nuggets, slathered on a sandwich, etc. I had to cut back because it is so fatty.

I'd also like to add that I never liked real mayo. :p

twinkle
Jan 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Recently I made a potato salad with 2 parts plain soya yoghurt to 1 part plamil mayonnaise, a glug of olive oil, dash of wine vinegar and some finely chopped onion.

It was very good - nice and light.

ETA - there were potatoes in there, too! :)

Mahk
Jan 10th, 2007, 04:38 AM
ETA - there were potatoes in there, too! :)

ETA?........ Estimated Time of Arrival?:confused:

Your potato salad sounds yummy though.:D Also, I finally found Veganaise where I live, I bought the grapeseed style as HappyVegan suggested. [Thanks!] Quite good. I also found a low fat "mayo" called "Spectrum egg less vegan Light Canola Mayo". Not as good, but much better than "Nayonaise" and lower in fat (3.5g/TB vs. 9g/TB). I'm sticking with Veganaise, but thought I'd mention it

Roxy
Jan 10th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Hi Mahk - I use that Spectrum mayo too. I like it for the lower fat content as well :)

Fyvel
Jan 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM
ETA?........ Estimated Time of Arrival?:confused:

ETA = "Edited to add" :)

Mahk
Jan 11th, 2007, 06:59 AM
ETA = "Edited to add" :)
Thanks, Fyvel.