PDA

View Full Version : Shnitzels

sugarmouse
Dec 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM
What are these?!?!
Ok so I have organised the xmas meal for me and work colleagues, the vote went to go to a local pub, I am happy to keep everyone happy so we are, I rang them, they told me they make vegans shnitzels (sic) does anyone know what these are?its either that or I take my own. Lol. the pub said they will be fine with this.
can anyone enlighten me waht are shnitzels(sic)

twinkle
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
They're normally made from veal, but Fry's make vegan versions. The Fry's ones are like a lump of fake meat covered in breadcrumbs.

Mr Flibble
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
It's the German word for cutlet. Using foreign words to describe english things makes them sounds more sophisticated you see :rolleyes:

harpy
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:29 PM
There are other makes of vegan schnitzel apart from Fry's - Taifun do one although I haven't seen them around for a while come to think of it.

The Fry's ones are OK as long as you like fake meat. The Taifun ones were slightly more to my taste as they were made of pulverised vegetables.

I think anything qualifies as a schnitzel as long as it's flattish and fried in breadcrumbs. :D

Cherry
Dec 19th, 2006, 02:47 PM
flattish and fried in breadcrumbs. :D

Yeh, I'd say that's about it :D

I know cutlet and shnitzel literally mean the same thing ('small sliced thing'), but I think the English cutlets are often without the breadcrumbs and that's a bit more abnormal for a schnitzel.

Thinking back to Uni days, my college used to do lovely veggie schnitzels. They were sort of Thai flavour (!!), tho not sure if they were vegan or not. I like the fry's ones but they're SO salty!!!