PDA

View Full Version : Is burnt food carcinogenic?

sugarmouse
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Does anyone know. I am not getting much luck on google

emmapresley
Dec 19th, 2006, 05:49 PM
i think it is you know..but, i don't know the science behind it. i shall go away and find out via the wonder of the internet then come back and report!

polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons can be formed in foods when they're smoked or barbequed

Acrylamide is a chemical and a suspected human carcinogen. It's thought to be formed when foods that contain carbohydrate, such as potatoes and cereals, are fried or baked at high temperatures (above 120°C). The chemical can cause cancer in animals, but it hasn't been proven whether it can also cause cancer in humans.

Hmm..

that was a shambolic half hearted attempt at finding out info..but surely googling..or some other search engine will throw up a lot more info??

fiamma
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I used the keywords charred food carcinogenic. There are definitely risks, but these seem to be more linked to charred meat, but there seems to be a lot of uncertainty and the issue may regard all food also. I guess the best advice would be to avoid any kind of charred food wherever possible.

emmapresley
Dec 19th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Raw food is good :)
i tend to chop up more veg than i need and scoff the extra bits whilst im getting ready to cook the rest...no carcinogens in raw cauli :D

Hemlock
Dec 19th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I hope not - if it is I should be dead by now:)

karmadust
Dec 19th, 2006, 08:35 PM
i've always been told that charred stuff can be bad for you, but only in large amounts. so unless you're regularly burning all your food because you like that gritty black stuff, you should be okay.

Tigerlily
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:18 PM
i've always been told that charred stuff can be bad for you, but only in large amounts. so unless you're regularly burning all your food because you like that gritty black stuff, you should be okay.

That's what I heard too.

RedWellies
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Are you a bad cook, Sugarmouse?

I've always hated burnt food, especially burnt toast. Maybe my tastebuds know it's bad for me? (If indeed it is.)

howdawg
Dec 19th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I was just thinking this same thing today.... I love burnt food (crisped anyhow), and it would be nice to have some evidence on whether or not this is bad for you (and if so, how bad it is)...

Veryblue2
Dec 19th, 2006, 10:50 PM
It seems that absolutely everything is bad for you... just by existing you are killing yourself :rolleyes:

Perhaps if burnt food and whatever chemical reaction that produces was so bad for humans we wouldn't all be here right now. Cooking over fire (as was standard before cookers came along) tends to blacken and char food at least a little bit.

Suppose it's a just case of the 'everything in moderation'...

sugarmouse
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:02 AM
lol yes redwellies!
no I hate burnt food! but, I have always wondered this as a lot of people seem to likeit, and tonight i was cooking black eye beans and burnt a few of them, but rescued the rest and didnt want to throw the whole pan away so i just ate them. a few were burnt but not totally..and it made me wonder again:) thankies for the replies:)

Blue5hark
Dec 20th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Check your sources before making assumptions from irrational fears !

This site is particularly accurate but content heavy with scientific terms:
World Health Organisation (http://www.who.int/en/)

Usually books are the most reliable, since they have to through proper reference screening rather than any random website.

Wikipedia is useful, but I would not say authoritative.

Roxy
Dec 20th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Check your sources before making assumptions from irrational fears !

I think sugarmouse was asking for our help with finding sources, so that she could satisfy her curiosity.

sugarmouse
Dec 20th, 2006, 09:12 PM
:) yes it wasnt a fear as such, I do not make a habit of eating burnt food..it is just a thing that was bugging me! thankyou for the replies:)