PDA

View Full Version : Anyone growing their own veg this year?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

cedarblue
Apr 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM
couple of sweetcorn popping up, some yellow courgettes and some basil seeds too.

sowed some brussell sprouts and am soaking my sweet pea seeds overnight ready to sow tomorrow along with some other flower seeds.

what a glorious, sunny day today!

sc2987
May 2nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Anyone in Bristol who wants to grow their own but has nowhere to do it, take a look here: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26461

RubyDuby
May 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
everything has sprouted now! Now just need some luck...

we have radishes, beets, carrots, red onions, white potatoes, sweet corn, basil and cilantro.

Hemlock
May 20th, 2010, 11:39 AM
The herbs and veg are doing well. We've decided not to get our front driveway paved after all - paving is boring. We're going to dig it all up and have a smart veg plot with loads of herbs and veg and flowers around the edges of the raised boxes. Our neighbours are all easy going so I don't think they will mind.

Dawny
May 23rd, 2010, 05:55 PM
It's my 2nd year for my veggie patch & love growing my own, doesnt taste like the plastic stuff you get in the supermarket!! Got the usual, lettuce, spring & red onions, beets, carrots, peas, french beans, radish & first time grow parsnips ( yum!) & trying 1st time med herbs, also growing purple broccolli & sprouts! Oh plus rooster potatoes! :tongue_ani:

Risker
May 23rd, 2010, 06:09 PM
^ You're not supposed to eat plastic fruit & veg, it's for display only :p

I'm not growing loads this year as we're due to be moving soon but should have a tonne of garlic (I've planted a wall of it around my lettuce do deter critters), red & green salad bowl lettuce, rocket, cosmic purple carrots, potatoes (forget which variety) aji yellow chilli peppers, purple russian tomatoes, sungold tomatoes, mammoth pumpkins, giant sunflower, coriander and should also have some strawberries, wild strawberries, grapes, goosberries, rhubarb, chives, mint, blackcurrants and redcurrants that are perennial.

Dawny
May 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
No Risker that I know you dont eat the plastic it comes in Lol!! :surprised_ani: It just tastes like the plastic it's in! :) . You said you're growing garlic, is that pretty easy to grow or is it a pain in the rear!? :D

Risker
May 23rd, 2010, 06:30 PM
Garlics really easy, just use cloves from a supermarket bulb and plant them straight outside.

Dawny
May 23rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
Nice 1 risker, it's more so for the grumpy one to use, though I dont mind a little bit once in a blue moon! Plus I'm trying to grow all my own as my workplace shut down ( a pub) so as you can guess money is tight! I know....not on my own in this :(

harpy
May 23rd, 2010, 10:57 PM
So far all we've actually eaten from the garden is a minuscule radish and a number of baby salad leaves. However I really like baby leaves so I'm happy.

Rather than a vegetable patch I seem to have a load of veg and herbs that are interplanted with decorative plants. Does anyone else do it that way and is there some drawback I haven't yet thought of? We do have some containers dedicated to veg type stuff as well.

Dawny
May 23rd, 2010, 11:05 PM
I have not heard of any draw backs of growing foods in with other plants & bushes or tubs. At the moment I am also growing med herbs in my window boxes so I can pick & grow/go! Have parsnips in my plot & also in a tub to see how both go... & at the moment the tubed ones are fairing much better! :tongue_ani:

wildcatstrike
Jun 11th, 2010, 05:01 PM
HellooOo.. i've just caught the growing bug after buying some "grow your own herbs" type pots and i reeeeally want to start growing loads more things! But i don't know anything really about growing veg or herbs. So far my basil and coriander pots are flourishing and i've got chives seedlings poking through this week! Hooray! I'm trying to germinate tomato seeds in some little kids pots from Asda but nothing's happening after a week - boo!

Cos i know nothing about growing, my plan is to basically just ignore the time of year your meant to grow things and just plant whatever i like and see what happens!!!!! Can you just grow most things in containers/pots or compost bags? We've got a big garden but we're movin soon and most of it's grass anyway - just a few soil borders that are already full of flowers/bushes.

I get a bit scared away if i read "grow outdoors" on something - i'm like "so does that mean it won't work indoors?!? WHYYY? arrrgghh i'm scared!" :)

Any advice or tips on easy growing for beginners welcome! :)

cobweb
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:28 PM
^ just experiment as i have found that it so much depends on your exact location, growing medium, regular watering - and luck - so just try til it falls in to place!. Well that's my advice, anyway! :D.

I am growing radish, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes and spinach in pots/tubs/shopping bags this summer, plus pansies, sunflowers and sweet peas. The soil is rubbish in our garden so everything is going in containers. I'd forgotten how rewarding it is to see the little shoots coming up! :heart:.

harpy
Jun 17th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Yes, I would have thought most things ought to do OK in containers - only thing is my pots need a lot of watering in hot weather. Re inside versus outside, plants probably don't know the difference, but some things will want more sun than others so different windowsills will probably suit different plants better.

Oveeja
Dec 31st, 2010, 03:56 AM
I have already planted a chestnut and a hazelnut seed, I will be expecting nuts some years from now :D
I am also planing on planting tomatoes, garlic, raspberries, avocados, cherimoya, black persimmon (this tree's bark is where the original chewing gum comes from and it also gives these delicious fruits) and some kind of super acid little prunes that I love.

harpy
Mar 23rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Who's planning to grow what this year? I am going to do outdoor cucumbers again as they were quite a success last year, similarly for the cut-and-come-again salad leaves.

Already have some radishes coming up after I dumped some sprouting seeds outside because they had moths in them :p Apart from that, haven't really thought.

Anyone know about outdoor bush tomatoes? Last year I grew Gardener's Delight but staking them in my reusable growback was a bit of a pain so I thought I might try bush this time.

Oveeja, your list looks great but I'm not sure how well avocados etc would do in London :)

Risker
Mar 23rd, 2011, 06:25 PM
I posted this in another thread because I couldn't find this one but now harpy's bumped it, here's some info I got from the company that makes Baby Bio.

Thank you for your email. The only plant foods we produce are Baby Bio range of houseplant food and Phostrogen all purpose soluble plant food and Phostrogen Super Concentrate (suitable for all garden use, including edible crops). These feeds do not contain any animal components and have not been tested on animals.

These plant foods are widely available from Garden Centres, Homebase and B&Q stores.
http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/products/

harpy
Mar 23rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Thank you Risker - might need to add something like that to my tomato compost this year; I found the tomato compost I bought last year wasn't vegan so have got the vegan version of Fertile Fibre for this year.

VeganVeggiePatch
Apr 18th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I grow a garden every year. We have 18 raised beds. I actually recently started a Youtube channel to document my garden this year. I had a great salad last night that I made with my own lettuce and onions. Here's a link to the page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/VeganVeggiePatch?feature=mhum

Risker
Apr 28th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Just received this email;

I can confirm that our Growmore contains only mineral nutrient derived from synthetic sources. There is no animal based organic nutrient in this product.

http://www.vitax.co.uk/

They're selling this in poundland at the moment.

cobweb
Apr 29th, 2011, 08:38 AM
that's good, thanks Risker

Risker
May 3rd, 2011, 10:56 AM
From Doff

our Tomato Feed does not contain any animal or milk derivatives.http://www.doffgarden.co.uk/product/tomato-feed

Also available in poundland

EDIT: got them to be a bit more specific...

There is not manure.
The product just contains the usual ground mineral rock nutrients, magnesium and added seaweed.

jake
May 8th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Garlic, herbs, spices, sweetcorn and 40+ chili plants including 10 black Nagas, one of the hottest chilis in the world!

DavidT
May 9th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Onions, garlic, half a dozen varieties of spuds, sweetcorn, peas, globe artichokes, mange tout, peppers, spinach, chillis, carrots, courgettes, tomatoes, marrows, asparagus, cabbage, pak choi, broad beans, about a dozen different lettuces, loads of herbs, pears, half a dozen apple varieties, strawberries, gooseberries, jostaberries, blackcurrants, damsons plus quite few things I can't bring to mind.

We're hoping to get two or three grape vines going soon too.

Without a willing and happy helper, I doubt if I'd grow anything. The value of a like-minded partner is large projects like a vegetable garden is incalculable.

Edit: just remembered radishes so I had to go harvest some. Talk about hot! Brilliant.

GabriAngelle
May 9th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Tomatoes in a cup is all that I can grow in my dorm. Ha. I would grow my own food if I could.