PDA

View Full Version : Help - tofu recipe needed!

Hemlock
Dec 22nd, 2006, 02:44 PM
I am not the worlds greatest chef but can usually manage to make something fairly decent as long as I leave the cooking sherry alone:)
I just don't know what to make for Yule and my son's coming over - he's a fantastic vegan cook and I don't want to feel embarrassed by my own burnt offerings (he's bringing the pudding).
I bought some really special tofu from Infinity foods today and want to make the main course out of it but haven't got a clue what to make - HELP!

harpy
Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:46 PM
What sort of tofu is it, Hemlock? Is it the firm kind or the silken kind? If firm, is it already flavoured with something?

Hemlock
Dec 22nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
It's very firm strongly flavoured smoked tofu! And i have a basil flavoured one too.

Glossgirl
Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
I got an recipe for smoked tofu and bean burgers, but I guess thats not a main course for a fancy meal. If you want the recipe just, shout it out.

harpy
Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:47 PM
I sometimes use smoked tofu where omnivores might use frankfurter-type sausages, so for example we might have it in chunks with sauerkraut or braised red cabbage. It's also nice in a stir-fry, or you could bake the tofu in a slab and put stir-fried vegetables on top (I've had something like this in a Japanese restaurant and they called it a "tofu steak" :p - it looks quite pretty if you have multi-coloured veg).

The basil tofu is nice too but I find the flavour quite assertive so I usually have it on its own, e.g. as a sandwich filling.

There are some actual recipes here, not all of them vegan though:

http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/tofu/index.html

I remember thinking this one looked nice last year

http://www.vegsoc.org/christmas/2005/medallions.html

but it seems a bit labour-intensive and possibly error-prone.

Hemlock
Dec 22nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
Thanks guys:) the medallions sound great but ramkins....what? I don't have ramkins arrrggghhh (sound of high pitched screaming) I'll have to go out and try and find some tomoz. Wish me luck (salutes from prow of sinking ship):)

harpy
Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:00 PM
Ramekins are small round oven-proof dishes - I would think if you haven't got anything like that you might be able to improvise, e.g. with foil. Mind you don't take my advice because I am the queen of botched recipes :eek:

Hemlock
Dec 23rd, 2006, 08:25 AM
Hahaha, I actually dreamt that I deep fried the ramkins last night and served up an awful burnt crispy christmas lunch to lots of influential people:) I think the holiday season is getting to me!
I'm off to buy ramkins and do a couple of hours meditation and relaxation - I'll let you know how the recipe went.
If it all goes horribly wrong I can rely on my husbands speciality..... sprout curry:)

harpy
Dec 23rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Good luck Hemlock! A few incantations might help? ;)

Edited to add that I have just had another look at the recipe and it looks v nice indeed and not too challenging (even for moi) so please do report back. Hope it all goes well and that you're feeling more relaxed after your outing.

harpy
Dec 27th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Come on Hemlock, spill the beans! How were your medallions? I've been on tenterhooks all over Christmas ;)

Also, any chance of a recipe/method for the sprout curry?We seem to have rather a lot of sprouts around at the moment...

Hemlock
Dec 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Sprout curry: Use any curry recipe....put sprouts in it:) Preferably vindaloo:)

I didn't end up making the medallions nice as they were because i couldn't find any ramkins anywhere on earth!!! In the end I made exotic mushroom crumble which was really nice.

harpy
Dec 28th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks - sounds like my kind of recipe, though maybe I won't go for the vindaloo version.

Think I'm going to have to try making those ruddy medallions myself, just to find out what they're like. There are ramekins in the family.