PDA

View Full Version : Things vegans don't worry about (list)...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Mahk
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:13 AM
In advocating my veganism to others, rather than painting a picture of how hard it is, I thought a good way to "help" people make the move would be to list all the things that us vegans no longer have to personally worry about (except for our omni friends, that is). Things like diseases and ailments that a vegan pretty much can't get, since they are exclusively from the consumption of animal foods. Things like heart disease are not listed because "lower likelihood" is not the same as "almost impossible to contract". I'm starting the list, but I'm hoping everyone will contribute to the list :)

Being vegan, I no longer have to worry about...

bird flu, mad cow disease, synthetic hormones such as recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH), antibiotics in beef, lactose intolerance, milk allergies, sodium nitrate, the majority of food borne diseases such as trichinosis and salmonella, animal fat, or cholesterol.

Roxy
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:15 AM
I would say food-poisoning from cross contamination (eg, using the same chopping board to cut up chicken flesh, and then vegetables when cooking a stir-fry).

Bic
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I can't think of any diseases, but I've found telling people that I can eat cookie dough without baking it brings a certain envious look to their face. (You already listed salmonella, though.)

Seaside
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:49 AM
Well, I don't have to worry about being stuck in the rain without an umbrella, since none of my clothes get ruined by water like some animal fibers and suedes can. :p

Roxy
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:50 AM
But won't you melt? ;) :D :p

Seaside
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Are you implying that I am the Wicked Witch of the West??? :D ;)
Can you guess which earworm I have just hexed you with? :D

Roxy
Dec 29th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Yes :D

Well I was going to say "Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead" but I'm hearing "It's a Small World After All" ;) :D

Seaside
Dec 29th, 2006, 05:02 AM
but I'm hearing "It's a Small World After All" ;) :D
Ah, I wouldn't hex my worst enemy with that one.

I also don't worry as much about how long my food might be sitting at room temperature, or how long my leftovers will last. I know the stuff will eventually go bad, but I'm probably not risking serious illness or death by consuming expired soymilk.

Roxy
Dec 29th, 2006, 05:04 AM
I don't have to worry about my leather shoes stretching out of shape.

Bic
Dec 29th, 2006, 05:12 AM
I don't have to deal with getting gifts of incrediably itchy wool sweaters/socks because people know better.
My soy sour cream takes much longer to expire than the milk-based stuff.

satirecafe
Dec 29th, 2006, 05:22 AM
that's a good one- extended expiration dates. also you won't have bad karma, or you won't go to hell if you're into western religions :)

Tigerlily
Dec 29th, 2006, 06:13 AM
When you get a bronchial infection, you're less likely to have phlegm, (phlegm makes the infection even worse). I had a bronchial infection last year or the year before, and the doctor was amazed that I had no phlegm.

mcfluffin
Dec 29th, 2006, 12:12 PM
People don't come round and eat all your food...i.e. vegan mayonaisse and yoghurts!

sugarmouse
Dec 29th, 2006, 01:30 PM
my lodgers do not steal my food outof the fridge.
people no longer think i have an eating disorder.
you find out how ignorant people are when you are a vegan.
you can take the **** out of people askin daft questions. this year, somebody asked me if I was allowed vegetable oil. I asked her where she thought vegetable oil came from , and then said 'well its understandable, I mean baby oil does not come from babies does it?'lol

howdawg
Dec 29th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Don't have to worry about having contributed to murder!!

Yoggy
Dec 29th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Don't have to worry as much about heart disease and high cholesterol and blood pressure.

Seaside
Dec 29th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I don't have to worry about finding fingers in my fast food chili! ;) Or what else might be ground up with the beef. :eek:

sandra
Dec 29th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Personally speaking, I don't have to worry about my stomach troubles! I had an ulcer which almost perforated while I was a veggie, but since I've been vegan (a year in January) I've felt absolutely wonderful. No indigestion, no waking in the middle of the night in pain, no nausea, no not wanting to eat, infact I've never felt better. I didn't become vegan for health reasons they were just an added bonus. Now, I not only feel better physically but mentally too! :)

Plus, what a great thread "Mahk"! :)

Mahk
Dec 29th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Plus, what a great thread "Mahk"! :)

Thanks Sandra. Also, good to hear your health is better now.

Thanks to everyone for contributing! Let's keep it rolling...

pat sommer
Dec 29th, 2006, 11:06 PM
when pregnant didn't have to consult the 'no-no list'. Vegan foods were all safe (as if we needed to be told)

Roxy
Dec 30th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Don't have to worry about stinking up the bathroom from a big meat and dairy poo!

Seaside
Dec 30th, 2006, 04:05 AM
I don't have to worry about getting parasitic worms like the kinds people get from eating raw fish.

Yoggy
Dec 31st, 2006, 03:46 PM
LOL Roxy, nice one!

I don't have to worry about headaches all the time. After being vegan for 6 months, one day I realised I hadn't had a headache in months!

Haniska
Dec 31st, 2006, 05:40 PM
my lodgers do not steal my food outof the fridge.
people no longer think i have an eating disorder.
you find out how ignorant people are when you are a vegan.
you can take the **** out of people askin daft questions. this year, somebody asked me if I was allowed vegetable oil. I asked her where she thought vegetable oil came from , and then said 'well its understandable, I mean baby oil does not come from babies does it?'lol

Last night my fiances Aunt asked me what salad dressing I liked, and then asked if I could eat them since they had oil in them. I was a little pissy because I have pms and it irrates me that people associate veganism with fatfree (I'm also thinner than most people). She actually thought that the oil was made from butter.
But I did get a recipe from her recipe book on the table for "Poor man's crabcakes" made from zuchinni. And I did get a laugh when I told her that I would substitute the mayonaise with Veganaise.

mcfluffin
Jan 1st, 2007, 12:06 PM
Oh...forgot to say 'gives you an excuse to take whatever food you like into the cinema.' My reply would be 'I'm vegan, do you have any alternative foods without animal products?' I don't think they'd know that popcorn is probably Ok...but pretty much everything else isn't...