PDA

View Full Version : Best ever hummus / houmous

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

celtic rose
Jan 5th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Has anyone got a quick and easy recipe for houmous/hummus please?
I fancy having a go at making my own rather than using shop made.

Artichoke47
Jan 5th, 2005, 12:56 PM
I like to use one can of chickpeas or 1 3/4 c. chickpeas in their juice; one roasted red pepper, chopped; 1/2 tsp. cumin; 1/2 tsp. onion powder; 1/2 tsp. garlic powder; 1/2 tsp. salt; and 1 tsp. parsley. It's easy because the ingredients are canned or already-prepared/measured or jarred (the roasted red peppers) and the spices are dried, so you don't have to worry about chopping. :)

celtic rose
Jan 5th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Thank you both.
Is tahini available through the supermarket or is it health food shops only?

harpy
Jan 5th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Some supermarkets (e.g. Waitrose) certainly sell tahini - in fact some of them may have two kinds, light and dark. The dark kind has the husks left in I think and has a stronger, slightly bitter flavour.

Edited to add - I make mine in a similar way to IlFromaggio but I only use a tablespoon or two of tahini and hadn't thought of including soy cream.

feline01
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:04 PM
My vegan cowrker gave me this recipe. It is fantastic :D .

2 12-oz cans of chickpeas
1 16 oz jar of tahini
juice of 4 lemons
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
6 medium cloves of garlic, finely chopped
water as needed
salt and pepper to taste

Mash the above together with a potato masher, fork or your hands (eww) until everything is smushed together. It should not be pastey but chunky.

Add these vegetables:
4 grated carrots
bunch of finely chopped parsley
1 large chopped red pepper or chopped tomato

Optional veggies:
bunch of grated turnips
finely chopped celery
chopped, seeded cucumber

Mix everything together, makes a huge bowl, enough for many days or share with friends :) . I eat this wrapped in lettuce leaves. Yum.

Kiva Dancer
Feb 26th, 2005, 05:56 PM
How yummy. Thanks for posting.

Green_Faery
Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:51 PM
since this is a hummus thread, I might as well post my mommy's recipe!

2 cans chick peas (one drained, one not)
3 (or more, depends on how much you like garlic) cloves of garlic
1 lemon's worth of juice
rice syrup (probably.... hmmm.. a few table spoons... can't be more than 1/4 cup. she used to use honey but changed it so I can eat it :) )
tahini (never really measures but I'd guess about 1/3 a cup)
some salt
some olive oil

take the lemon and garlic, blend in blender, add chick peas, blend until smooth, add tahini, rice syrup, olive oil (as much as you want, don't need a lot) salt (don't need much) blend some more pour in a big bowl, drizzle some olive oil on top, eat with pita, veggies, on sandwiches, whatever.

Peas'nHominy
May 5th, 2005, 03:55 AM
I normally prefer lime over lemon, but I was out of both the other day and was just really wanting some hummus. So, I used ... an orange! But the funny thing is, I liked it. I didn't notice too much of a difference. Weird. :)

Kiva Dancer
May 5th, 2005, 03:59 PM
I would have never thought to put orange in my hummus. It sounds a really good substitution for lemon. I must try that next time I make hummus.

littleTigercub
May 5th, 2005, 08:38 PM
My hummous is standard as posted above but with half a red chili and abundant black pepper. I like it spicey!

littleTigercub

Tigerlily
May 6th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Fava beans are a good alternative to chickpeas. But instead of blending in a blender or food processor, just mash the fave beans with a fork. You don't want it mushy, you want some bits of fava in it. This is delicious as a spread.

Cherry
May 11th, 2005, 12:18 AM
I had hummus for dinner tonight on a baked potato - yum.

I've run out of tahini but it still tasted fine.

http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/SaucesSalads/hummus.htm

I like it with chilli and sundried tomatoes in it.

moonshadow
Jun 3rd, 2006, 10:12 AM
we cooked a lot of garbanzo beans the other week. we made half into hummus and froze the other half.

a few days ago we put the frozen beans in the fridge. then forgot that we'd done so.

so, i decided that to be safe, we should reboil the beans.

when we made hummus from the rehydrated, frozen, thawed, recooked beans, it was really smooth!

i'm sure it was far far less nutritious than it would have been if we hadn't felt the need to reboil the beans, but it was nice.

triona.d.
Dec 31st, 2006, 04:50 PM
i swear this is the tastiest hummus ever! my friend who co-runs a vegan cafe here gave me this recipe and it's definitely the best hummus i've ever eaten!
Approx:
*2 tins of chickpeas
*2/3 garlic cloves
*juice of 2 lemons
*2 tbsp tahini
*6tbsp olive oil
*salt and pepper
*pinch of paprika
*as much liquid (water, or the left over cooking liguid) as you require for desired consistency

Just bung it all in the food processor and whizz!:)

howdawg
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:38 PM
That's pretty much how I make mine, but I much prefer to use dried chickpeas.. They're soo much cheaper and they taste better.. They do require a bit more work however... Try adding a roasted red pepper or two to the mix also! (I do use more garlic as well, but I LOVE GARLIC!)

MarkAnthony
Jan 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
I'll give this a go soon. I want to start making my own hummus so I can avoid the salt content of the pre-made ones. I just need something to run out so I have a spare jar. :)

Jamie
Jan 3rd, 2007, 01:53 PM
Mine never lasts long enough to put in a jar! lol :)

I followed a recipe in Meals Without Squeals last time, but it has pretty much the same ingredients, although I only used one tin of chickpeas (there was enough for 2 of us to make a meal of it with toast), and I cheat and use lemon juice in a bottle (unwaxed only comes in a bag of 6 here!). I stole an idea for serving it from a hotel that I stayed in that offered it for breakfast (!) : put it in a small bowl, and drizzle some olive oil on top. They served it with warm pitta breads, although we've had it nice with toast fingers, too!

Howdawg, when we move I'll buy some dried chickpeas and try it out! The only problem is that you have to know you'll want it the day before so you can soak them lol :rolleyes:

howdawg
Jan 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Howdawg, when we move I'll buy some dried chickpeas and try it out! The only problem is that you have to know you'll want it the day before so you can soak them lol :rolleyes:

You mean there's a time you don't want hummus? :) Typically, when I hummus, I do it in very large batches and eat it over the course of a week or so (and lots of times give some away). You can make smaller batches as well, but I never bother..

rantipole
Jan 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
How much is a tin? Also, what type of tahini do you use? When I go to the store, I always see a few different kinds.

Thanks!

Cheers,
rant

Jamie
Jan 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
oh yes, I like to have it special occasions, I call them 'fresh home-made hummus eating quarter-hours' ;)

Jamie
Jan 3rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
They only do one size of tin that I've seen - it's the normal standard size... sorry I can't help much lol! :)

I think the tahini I have is either light or regular. But I don't know. I think you could just use less if you had a dark one.

howdawg
Jan 3rd, 2007, 03:27 PM
How much is a tin? Also, what type of tahini do you use? When I go to the store, I always see a few different kinds.

I'm assuming the tin spoken of is about 12-15oz. As for tahini, your best bet is to buy it from a Middle Eastern store. Generally the cheaper imported stuff with cheaper packaging is better... But I would definitely ask someone there what they use!

Tigerlily
Jan 3rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
I'm pretty sure the dark tahini has a very strong taste. It might be good in other recipes but for hummus, you need something light tasting. Howdawg is right, I get my tahini from the Middle Eastern store and it's loads cheaper than the stuff sold in the supermarket.

rantipole
Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM
I have nothing like a Middle Eastern store near me. However, my health food store has organic imported tahini for sale. I'll check out the different varieties and get the lightest one. I think there is a roasted and a raw. Any thoughts on which one I should use?

Cans in the US are in different sizes, so I'm just wondering how many oz or what have you. I'll assume an average size of 12-15 oz.

Thanks!

Cheers,
rant

triona.d.
Jan 4th, 2007, 05:52 PM
yeah, just two 'average' sized tins - about 400grams each. and i use light tahini. good luck! tri