PDA

View Full Version : drinking in the pub

triona.d.
Dec 31st, 2006, 05:00 PM
hi, i'm not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post this on but i'm really struggling when i'm out with friends of an evening. i seem to ALWAYS order water and look so pathetic but i don't drink alcohol (for vegan reasons as well as other reasons) and i'm not too sure about the vegan-ness of cordial (lime, blackcurrant etc) and i don't like pub orange juice! grrr...what can i do? has anyone discovered an answer? or know that cordial is definately vegan? or do i just have to stop being such an orange juice snob and just have the yucky stuff?! any input would be greatly appreciated, many thanks, tri

howdawg
Dec 31st, 2006, 10:37 PM
What's wrong with ordering water? I do it all the time, and I just make sure I leave a tip for the bartender... I do drink beer or alcohol occasionally, but lots of times it's just water.. No one seems to mind? :)

twinkle
Dec 31st, 2006, 11:52 PM
Go to pubs with better soft drinks ;)

I usually have beer at the pub, but then I go to an "old man's" pub with a good selection of drinks. First time I went in they had a poster advertising Moinette in a prominent position, including the info that it was vegan :o

If I'm not drinking alcohol I often just ask for a pint of soda water. No bartender has ever raised an eyebrow as it's usually part of a round being paid for, and it looks less austere because of the bubbles :), people probably think it's lemonade.

Oh, and I think the answer to your cordial dilemma is to find out the make and look it up, or write to the manufacturer ;) They often are vegan but I would not like to give a definite yay or nay without knowing what brand your pub is using.

triona.d.
Jan 1st, 2007, 09:43 AM
thanks guys. there's nothing 'wrong' with ordering water - i just get some funny looks sometimes! i think the idea of soda water's a good one - looks like more than just water! many thanks, tri :)

RedWellies
Jan 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM
I always have water (and alcohol). I think if you always have it, people get used to the fact that that's what you want to drink:)

apyatez
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:12 PM
according the animal free shopping hand book, J2O soft drinks are vegan...
check yourself though just to make sure....
i wish stella was vegan.. :-(