PDA

View Full Version : Vegans and calcium

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

happy
Mar 13th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone,I'd forgotten and didn't know of some:).Whalespace,are you still saying that apples are a goods source? I do like Cox's apples:)

whalespace
Mar 13th, 2010, 07:45 PM
No. I'm still saying that I wouldn't consider eating apples if I was deficient in calcium, because I am aware that there is only so much food I can eat in a day, and I would consider apples a waste of space and appetite.

Apples are great for other things.

kokopelli
Mar 16th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Sesame seeds have a lot of calcium, so whole (dark) tahini is a very good source. I used to add a little calcium carbonate (ground chalk, available from chemists) to the flour when I made bread, but stopped because there seems to be enough in soya milk, etc. anyway.

I agree with what others have said about vitamin D. In Manchester it may be difficult to get enough from sunlight on your skin and you should make sure you have a good dietary source or you won't be able to absorb the calcium, however much you eat.

thegoob
Mar 18th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Molasses is definitely very rich in calcium. It's the very dark molasses called "black strap" here in the states that has the most calcium, ~170 mg per tablespoon. I'm not sure what they call it in the UK, I think it's "black treacle" but who knows. Just look at the label and see what it says about calcium in black treacle. Or maybe you can find some that says "black strap."

But, I agree with the vitamin D supplement also. Really, it isn't so hard to get enough calcium with all the fortified foods available. So, when someone is eating lots of vegetables and calcium rich foods and still has low calcium, it seems like it would be an absorption issue.

Daffodil
Mar 18th, 2010, 01:41 PM
poppy seeds and Kale are another good source

Cryingfreeman
May 25th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I am a strict Vegan and had many such questions which used to cause some anxiety as to whether my diet was giving me everything I needed.

I was told about a Vegan suppliment called Moringa Leaf powder I initially had problems getting hold of it but found this Non-profit organisation selling it online

www.moringamutual.org

It has helped me a great deal tons of calcium, iron, protien and vitamins

CurrantCottage
May 25th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Apologies if this is a silly question, but if I'm going to drink a glass of soya milk, or calcium enriched orange juice do I need to eat food with it to aid the absorption of the calcium??? Also, does adding soya milk to your tea contribute calcium to your diet or does the fact its been in hot tea negate it? Like I said - apologies if this is a really dumb question but its something I've been pondering!

harpy
May 26th, 2010, 09:34 AM
The Wikipedia entry says (twice) that it's better to take calcium supplements with food, but I'm not sure if it gives a reference for that point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium

I saw a few other pages about it when I searched on "calcium absorption food". If you type "calcium absorption tea" you'll see a few suggestions that the oxalates in the tea may interfere with absorption, not sure if the heat is important though.

Perhaps you'll get a reply from someone who actually knows the answer now :)

CurrantCottage
May 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM
The Wikipedia entry says (twice) that it's better to take calcium supplements with food, but I'm not sure if it gives a reference for that point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium

I saw a few other pages about it when I searched on "calcium absorption food". If you type "calcium absorption tea" you'll see a few suggestions that the oxalates in the tea may interfere with absorption, not sure if the heat is important though.

Perhaps you'll get a reply from someone who actually knows the answer now :)

Thanks for this Harpy ! I go through periods of not worrying at all about what I eat then periods of getting stressed as to whether I'm getting enough of everything !!! Off to have a look at the link - thanks again!
CurrantCottage

harpy
May 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I know, you can get worried if you start thinking about it can't you? I think the chances are we're doing fine as long as we eat a good variety of foods.

Personally I eat a lot of healthy stuff and a lot of cr@p as well so I reckon I must be getting a balanced diet ;)

CurrantCottage
May 26th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I know, you can get worried if you start thinking about it can't you? I think the chances are we're doing fine as long as we eat a good variety of foods.

Personally I eat a lot of healthy stuff and a lot of cr@p as well so I reckon I must be getting a balanced diet ;)

I like that :) I too enjoy a balance of healthy and junk !!!! And I keep reminding myself that even on a more junky day it has to be better than some omni's I know who seem to exist on chips, burgers ...and not a lot else!

powerlifer
May 30th, 2010, 04:29 PM
chia seeds are a very good vegan source of calcium aswell as omega-3 and more.

we will be stocking the organic chia seeds later in the week at the store in my sig.

CurrantCottage
May 30th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I will confess that I've never heard of chia seed before - but if they've got calcium in and omega 3 that sounds brilliant! Off to look at your store!

powerlifer
Jun 2nd, 2010, 08:36 PM
I will confess that I've never heard of chia seed before - but if they've got calcium in and omega 3 that sounds brilliant! Off to look at your store!

the organic chia seeds will be about another week or so in arriving but they will be best prices and cert organic where most others arent.

chia has 2700mg of omega 3 per 15g serving which is brilliant, its packed with complete protein, 5 times more calcium than milk, about 27g of fibre per 100g. Good food to supplement with if raw, vegan etc.

ill post up when there instock again.

CurrantCottage
Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
the organic chia seeds will be about another week or so in arriving but they will be best prices and cert organic where most others arent.

chia has 2700mg of omega 3 per 15g serving which is brilliant, its packed with complete protein, 5 times more calcium than milk, about 27g of fibre per 100g. Good food to supplement with if raw, vegan etc.

ill post up when there instock again.

OK so I'm being really dense and cannot find the link to your store - sorry!!! Can't you post the link or pm it to me if posting it isn't allowed. Many thanks! CurrantCottage