PDA

View Full Version : Lentil and Pepper soup

sugarmouse
Jan 6th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I never measure anything so I apologise, but I think it is more fun to put in what you feel is the right amount of things! I have guessed here, but I love this recipe, it warms you up and is very satisfying.

One tin of whole or chopped tomatoes (you can also use fresh, but I like this soup because it makes use of staples I can buy and save for later!)
2 whole peppers, red or yellow.
cupful of dried red lentils (or more if you like!)
red onion, as much as you like according to taste (although I suppose white would work!)
vegetable stock, made up to around onepint or more, depending on how thick or watery you want your soup!
pinch of mild curry powder

roast peppers in oven either whole or sliced, with a dab of oil or spread.
meanwhile, put lentils in a pan to cook according to instructions.
slice onion and sweat in oil until going clear.
heat up vegetable stock, add tomatoes onion and peppers. blend with a hand blender or put in a food processor ( iuse a hand one so I can check the consistency, I like it not too thin)
add lentils, put in pan on a low heat, add a pinch of mild curry powder to taste.

Steph
Jan 7th, 2007, 03:40 AM
this sounds so good, thanks for this, I have all of the ingredients here, I'm going to make this tomorrow!

Tigerlily
Jan 7th, 2007, 05:13 AM
I'm going to make this! I have all the ingredients except for the broth, but I'll use the lentil water and cook everything together. :)

sugarmouse
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:09 PM
I hope it turns out well for you guys!! I usually roast peppers when I get them, as they last longer then anywyas, then I add them to wahtever! but I love this soup. The curry is optional,I just think it goes really well and makes it a really warming dish.I am sorry I dont measure anything! I have thought about starting a recipe page (like Cherrys fab one:D ) but then think I cant, because I never measure things!!I know you dont mind that Tigerlily:)

emmapresley
Jan 8th, 2007, 11:30 PM
i made a lentil and red pepper soup tonight..different recipe, though it turned out really gorgeous

one red onion
3 medium carrots
one red pepper
olive oil..a glopsworth
generous pouring of red lentils
water
marigold bouillon..a smattering
one teaspoon baharat (this stuff is ace) or so

chop the veg and fry it up in the olive oil..add baharat..lentils..marigold powder..cook a bit more..add hot water out of the kettle..bring to the boil then simmer for 25 mins or so
blitz with hand blender

vary the amounts of ingredients to get a slightly different taste???