PDA

View Full Version : Greenpeace at war

Kevster
Oct 13th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Thought this was interesting, not entirely sure about how Greenpeace behaved at its 'height' (from what Paul Watson has said) but generally agree with what is said about where Greenpiss is currently at.

'Greenpeace at war

Once a byword for the power of the people, the definitive pressure group is now just another bloated corporation, argues John Castel. The former 'Rainbow Warrior' captain reveals what went wrong
Published: 12 October 2005

Where did it all go wrong with Greenpeace? For, make no mistake, the effectiveness of what was once the world's leading environmental organisation - with the power to bend governments and force corporations to bend to its will - has been in freefall over many years, in direct relation to an inner moral decline.

Today, while Greenpeace is an environmental organisation, it is not an ecological one. While it started out as an expression of people power, it has eschewed internal democracy with fervour. (This is the little seed of decay that has eaten out the heart of the organisation.) As the world's ecological situation gets increasingly desperate and in need of the hope, possibilities and radical suggestions Greenpeace might once have given, the group is now utterly moribund.'

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/environment/article318919.ece

adam antichrist
Oct 13th, 2005, 01:17 PM
democracy... when will people learn?
:D

DianeVegan
Oct 14th, 2005, 01:13 AM
What a sad article! As a member of Greenpeace, I must admit that I sometimes feel that there have been subtle changes over the years. The good news is that other organizations have sprung up to take on environmental concerns. :)

eve
Oct 14th, 2005, 08:25 AM
I'm glad to have stopped supporting Greenpeace quite a while ago.

Roxy
Oct 14th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Being a new Greenpeace member (since April this year), I found it a rather sad article too :(

Oh well - I am still going out with my local Greenpeace volunteer group this Saturday :) We are setting up in front of a local grocery store to promote the Kleercut Campaign (against Kimberly-Clarke the makers of Kleenex products).

I am an admirer of Paul Watson, and I know he thinks Greenpeace are the "Avon ladies of the environmental movement" but they don't care for his "thuggish" tactics much either. :o

Kevster
Oct 14th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I am an admirer of Paul Watson, and I know he thinks Greenpeace are the "Avon ladies of the environmental movement" but they don't care for his "thuggish" tactics much either. :o [/COLOR]

That's as opposed to the actions of whalers and particularly sealers..... ;)

Roxy
Oct 14th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Yeah lol.

Well - one thing that does concern me about Watson is that he preaches respect for all living beings - although I have read that he is not a vegan :confused: That is hypocritical to me.

In saying that though - the man has done A LOT for the animals over the years.