PDA

View Full Version : Morrisons

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Hemlock
May 15th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Wow, our local Morrisons have improved lately. I haven't been in there for ages because I tend to use local shops like the farm shop and the small Co-op.
I went in there and there was loads of vegan food, I bought way too much stuff.
I know it's not very healthy but for the occasional treat I used to love supernoodles and now Morrisons own brand (not all, check the labels) are doing vegan instant noodles.
Their own brand fozen mince substitute is vegan, they had loads of the Cauldron vegan products (and all the non vegan ones so again check labels), they are doing True-From products which our local Morrisons never used to stock, fake meat vegan sandwich fillers (vegi-deli).
I got a whole months shopping without having to go anywhere else, oh apart from veg which I prefer to get fresh every couple of days from the farm shop or my garden.
I was quite impressed.

Maisiepaisie
May 15th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I know it's not very healthy but for the occasional treat I used to love supernoodles and now Morrisons own brand (not all, check the labels) are doing vegan instant noodles.
My son loves noodles. Do those Morrisons ones contain any GM ingredients? I stopped buying Sainsburys noodles because of this so it would be great to find some GM free noodles.

veganbikerboy
May 15th, 2006, 01:24 PM
i have used morrisons for the first time recently, and was also impressed.

I have been trying to find out a bit about them as company eg animal testing policy, financial investments etc..without much joy.

does anybody know anything about them?

Pob
May 15th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere just the other day that Morrisons had no policy in place. Most supermarkets are dodgy in that respect. I think only the Co-op is BUAV approved.

Hemlock
May 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM
My son loves noodles. Do those Morrisons ones contain any GM ingredients? I stopped buying Sainsburys noodles because of this so it would be great to find some GM free noodles.

*Runs downstairs to get packet......runs back up three flights*:) The ingredients on Chow Mein flavour instant noodles are:
Noodles, wheat flour, vegetable oil, salt, yeast extract, sugar, flavourings, malt extract, E150, ground spices, E635, paprika extract, spice extract.

No mention of anything GM anywhere on the packet. I only looked at the chow mein flavour, I didn't bother looking at the beef, chicken flavours. The E numbers are probably not very good for you, but hey, it's not as if we'll be eating them everyday. Do they have to declare whether the product is GM then? Because there is no mention of it.

Pob
May 15th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I think they only declare if it definitely isn't.

I hadn't realised the Sainsbury ones were GM - I had some last night :(

Mr Flibble
May 15th, 2006, 02:16 PM
*Runs downstairs to get packet......runs back up three flights*:) The ingredients on Chow Mein flavour instant noodles are:
Noodles, wheat flour, vegetable oil, salt, yeast extract, sugar, flavourings, malt extract, E150, ground spices, E635, paprika extract, spice extract.

are they labelled as vegan? If not, how do you know the contents and origins of the flavourings?

Maisiepaisie
May 15th, 2006, 02:28 PM
I think they only declare if it definitely isn't.

I hadn't realised the Sainsbury ones were GM - I had some last night :(I can't remember now if it was GM or E numbers I was concerned about. I seem to remember seeing modified maize somewhere but now I think about it that was in the 8p packets. The ones at 23p I think only have E numbers...still bad tho :(

Hemlock
May 15th, 2006, 02:29 PM
are they labelled as vegan? If not, how do you know the contents and origins of the flavourings?

They are labelled as vegetarian and I can't find any ingredients on there that may suggest milk or eggs.

Pob
May 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I can't remember now if it was GM or E numbers I was concerned about. I seem to remember seeing modified maize somewhere but now I think about it that was in the 8p packets. The ones at 23p I think only have E numbers...still bad tho :(I throw away the flavour packet anyhow - too much salt. I just eat the noodles.

Flavourings can often contain milk or milk products, Hemlock :(

Maisiepaisie
May 15th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I throw away the flavour packet anyhow - too much salt. I just eat the noodles.Good idea. Do you use anything else to flavour instead?

Hemlock
May 15th, 2006, 02:50 PM
I throw away the flavour packet anyhow - too much salt. I just eat the noodles.

Flavourings can often contain milk or milk products, Hemlock :(

But Morrison's have a policy on labelling - their labels always say: "Contains" and states if it has milk or eggs in, this product just states,"Contains gluten". They always say if it has been on a production line near eggs, nuts etc too.
I'd be pissed off if I found out milk/eggs weren't labelled on one of their products.
I may have to e-mail them because I love instant noodles :(

Pob
May 15th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Good idea. Do you use anything else to flavour instead?If I have them with a stir fry, then I just add sauce or soy sauce to the stir fry. I don't generally eat them on their own - if I did I would probably add mushrooms and a bit of soy sauce.

Mr Flibble
May 15th, 2006, 05:24 PM
But Morrison's have a policy on labelling - their labels always say: "Contains" and states if it has milk or eggs in, this product just states,"Contains gluten". They always say if it has been on a production line near eggs, nuts etc too.

True, but there's nothing about other vegetarian but non vegan ingredients thou, such as bee and insect products (honey, wax, shellac etc). Also milk proteins etc could have been used in the production of the flavourings and then removed. Thus the product no longer contains it but it isn't vegan.

twinkle
May 15th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Sainsbury's have a no GMO policy on all their own brand products, and state that it on every packet.

"Modified" in this sense does not mean "genetically modified", it means it went through some other kind of processing to suit the needs of the product it's being used in.

Maisiepaisie
May 15th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Thats good to know Twinkle. I wonder if that also applies to other products containing 'modified' ingredients such as baked beans.

sosmixchild
May 15th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Ohh weird, I was going to start a thread on Morrisons too. As I went in there last Saturday, and they had a buy one get one free on cauldron tofu, I got LOADS. They have a very good range of peas and lentils too. Hurrah. I even found a vegan ready meal in there once, a (very very) spicy bean dish, nice though. Oh and they sell Swedish Glace vanilla icecream, I love it how thats not just confined to the health food shops.

Pob
May 15th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Thats good to know Twinkle. I wonder if that also applies to other products containing 'modified' ingredients such as baked beans.Yeah - that would be modified starch - that's covered by what Twinkle said.

Maisiepaisie
May 15th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Oh good. Now I know its not GM I can start buying 12p beans instead of 69p ones :D

aubergine
May 15th, 2006, 11:25 PM
You should try the Sainsbury's Organic ones. Pricy, but great for a special occasion :)

Hemlock
May 16th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Ohh weird, I was going to start a thread on Morrisons too. As I went in there last Saturday, and they had a buy one get one free on cauldron tofu, I got LOADS. They have a very good range of peas and lentils too. Hurrah. I even found a vegan ready meal in there once, a (very very) spicy bean dish, nice though. Oh and they sell Swedish Glace vanilla icecream, I love it how thats not just confined to the health food shops.

Yes they have 2 ready made vegan organic meals, the chilli one but for some reason that one's a lot spicier than it used to be and the other one is a lentil thing that's really nice. Both labelled vegan.

Pob
May 16th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Oh good. Now I know its not GM I can start buying 12p beans instead of 69p ones :DCheaper beans have more salt in them, though. Heinz have the least salt in, also the Heinz reduced salt and sugar beans have no sweetner added (they are a bit bland, but adding spices cures that).

I used to eat a tin of cheap beans on 4 slices toast - that would be about 5g salt from the beans, another 2 from the toast, some from the margarine.... over 7g of salt from just one meal :(

sugarmouse
May 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM
i used to like their potmeals (junk food lol) i think theyre called snack meals...lil 20g instnat meal thingies..when i was a student and a veggie.does anyone know are these vegan?

Hemlock
May 17th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Morrisons and health food shops do Freefrom pot meals which are much better, there is a lentil and rice one and a potato and something one (sorry can't remember what is in it - but it's nice), both of which are vegan.

sosmixchild
May 17th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Talking of pot meals does anyone know of any vegan cup a soups?
Might not be the healthiest of meals, but needs must sometimes at work, I've found some nice miso soup instant sachets, but do you know of any others? Thanks you :rolleyes: