PDA

View Full Version : marrow lemon curd!

tails4wagging
Oct 9th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Sounds weird I know, but its great. Found the recipe in an old book.

One large marrow,
3 large lemons,
2 lb sugar.

Cut up marrow into small chunks, steam until its mushy. Put into saucepan with the sugar and juice of the lemons. Heat up slowly till sugar has melted, then bring to the boil and stirring constantly until it thickens like jam. Put into warm jars and when cool store in fridge.

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 9th, 2004, 06:45 AM
"Marrow" ???

tails4wagging
Oct 9th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Yes, the big green thing you get from greengrocers, perhaps you call it something else over the pond?. You usually have it as a veg, but it is a bit bland.

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 9th, 2004, 06:53 AM
I am intrigued...We don't have a "Green Grocers" here in the US or anything I have ever seen in any of all of the standard, mom & pop and ethnic markets I have been to called "Marrow"... OH! It is a squash! Okay. It is often confused with Zucchini (Summer Squash)...

foxytina_69
Oct 9th, 2004, 06:55 AM
its squash, but the dark skin and bland tails is talking about must be zucchini.

tails4wagging
Oct 9th, 2004, 06:57 AM
I think it belongs to the squash family, it is a very large courgette. I think if a courgette is grown very large you could call it a marrow. In other words you could use it as such. Ask supermarkets over they, they might be able to help.

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 9th, 2004, 07:00 AM
I have seen it. We don't call it "Marrow" here. It is a "Squash" .

I just got an idea for a thread... :p

Kiva Dancer
Oct 15th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Zucchini lemon curd? Am I reading this correctly? (courgette = zucchini)

Sounds very interesting. I may have to try this recipe.

Thank you for posting this, tails4wagging.

JC
Dec 2nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Well this is the nearest thread to what i was looking for, i think.

Does anyone have a recipe for normal lemon curd? (the marrow's not doing it for me i'm afraid)
I just saw an omni recipe online - i complete forgot about lemon curd, yet i used to love it so much! Why does it have eggs in?? Why!!!!!!

Poison Ivy
Dec 2nd, 2009, 09:21 PM
This is a recipe by Bryanna Clark Grogan, I've made it before and it is lovely...very, very tangy!:)

1 c. lemon juice
1/2 c. water
1 and 1/2 c. granulated vegan white sugar (organic, if possible)
4 T. cornstarch (you can get organic cornstarch now)
1/8 tsp. salt
grated zest of 2 organic lemons
6 T. full fat soymilk, nut milk, or organic nondairy creamer
2 T. Earth Balance

In a blender, whiz together the juice, water, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Pour into a heavy saucepan with the zest. Whisk over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a full boil. Boil 1 minute, not stirring. ( OR microwave in a Pyrex bowl 2 minutes, whisk, then 2 minutes more.) It should be thickened and turning clear. Remove from heat. Add soymilk or alternate and Earth Balance. Blend well with the whisk. Cool the curd, then refrigerate in a covered container. It thickens as it cools.

JC
Dec 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks Poison Ivy, i can't wait to try this when i go home! Just to be clear (not sure about the american measurements) - T is a tablespoon, right? I have a 'cup' set at home, so that part is fine. Did you find it went off quickly or did it last a while?

Poison Ivy
Dec 3rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
I took T to mean tablespoon and it came out fine. Not sure how long it would last as I made it as a filling for a cake so used it straight away, sorry.:)

everdream
Dec 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
When I first read the thread title I was thinking 'ew', cos I was thinking of bone marrow xD Took me a while to realise it probably meant squash marrow :P

shellymi2nv
Dec 4th, 2009, 06:57 AM
^ Me too. I'm thinking it must be about store bought bottled lemon curd that had some hidden ingredient..

We need a UK -> US ingredient conversion chart or something :)

Pob
Dec 4th, 2009, 08:59 AM
These are marrows:
http://www.backyardgardener.com/tmimages08/280/8/810.jpg

So did anyone think the lemon curd with marrow in was good???

littlemiss
Dec 30th, 2009, 01:38 PM
JC, I made the Bryanna Clark Grogan lemon curd last year and still have a little bit left, I have to ration myself! I found that it kind of seperates in the jar after a while so I mix it up with a knife each time I use it. Made about 2 jars. Its lovely!!