PDA

View Full Version : Asda

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

bradders
Nov 17th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I'm fully aware of their practices (economics student here). The profits are largely repatriated to the UK after the merry-go-round of £10 paper-clips is said and done, I would rather see UK money stay here where possible than go into the hands of a ridiculously wealthy family in the US. People like me cannot afford to buy organic independent soya milk etc. and certainly not Whole Foods. My food budget is very tight indeed, the cheapest options generally win and within that I make a small concession for ethical operation, eg if Waitrose cost me a few p more each week they would still beat tesco and sainsbury's. Asda will always lose because they are never any cheaper for me and even if they were it would not make up for their company. Tesco do allow all their staff union rights unlike walmart and certain benefits that other retailers including walmart don't afford them. Sainsbury's are better still on that one. There is then overall product quality, Asda and Morrisons again fall bottom of the pile, then it's Tesco, Sainsbury's and Waitrose. The only reason I don't get more of my stuff from Waitrose is that by getting off the DLR at Canary Wharf on my way home means that I can hardly get on one again with the shopping so I go on to Sainsbury's instead and if I am to go to a supermarket on a day off Tesco and sainsbury's are about a 20 min walk but Waitrose means i have to get two tubes and spend between 2.00 and 2.80 return depending on the day, they don't have super discount bran flakes or fruit and fibre (next equivalent cereal is a pound more a box!) or the 7p noodles that Sainsbury's have. I go to a broad mix of places in the end including local grocers, the co-op normal supermarkets and waitrose. But unless it is something that I can only get in ASDA I never go there.

Pob
Nov 17th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I'm really annoyed with Asda right now. They've got rid of the chicken style fillets from the frozen aisle and replaced them with some similar ones from Grassington. The Grassington ones are 50p dearer and they're smaller and not as nice :mad:Gardein made the ASDA ones, too. But yeah, they were bigger and had no sauce on so were much more flexible.

On the other plus side we found a big selection of Redwoods stuff in the Chatham ASDA. We bought bacon, pepperami, breaded chicken, pate, fish fingers. Also picked up 5 boxes of the large frozen spring rolls.

Gorilla
Nov 18th, 2008, 12:10 PM
^ whereabouts do they stock these things in your local Asda, Pob? i find i never know if a supermarket starts selling these things because they shove them in with the non-vegan equivalents where i never even think to browse.

Pearl
Nov 18th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Its a real pain that those chicken fillets have gone! They were really nice. The ones with sauce on are crap. I loved the chicken type fillets in pitta bread with onions and lettuce!:mad:

sandra
Nov 18th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Me and my family loved them too Pearl..........I really miss them. I used them in curried rice and vegetable rice dishes etc, they were very versatile. I haven't tried the new ones yet but I don't like the idea of sauce on them! :(

Pob
Nov 18th, 2008, 06:36 PM
^ whereabouts do they stock these things in your local Asda, Pob? i find i never know if a supermarket starts selling these things because they shove them in with the non-vegan equivalents where i never even think to browse.Not exactly our local ASDA, unfortunately. That used to sell redwoods fish fingers and chicken style pieces, but then they THREW THEM AWAY!!!! to make room.

The Redwoods stuff should be with the chilled Quorn products.

The spring rolls are with lots of other buy 5 for £4 products in the freezer, in small red boxes. Not in the meat-free section.

laura.adjoa
Nov 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I found a new vegan product in Asda yesterday. A pack of 2 Meat free chicken style fillets. They're in the vegetarian freezer section. Haven't tried them yet but will let you know shortly what I think.

I tried these a few months ago. They were surprisingly nice, i brought them and they lay in the freezer for ages coz i was reluctant to try them. I think i just cooked them in microwave from frozen, so really easy.
xxx

jimmeh
Feb 27th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I emailed Asda because I read somewhere that their value unsweetened soya milk wasn't vegan (contained D3). It's only 60p a litre and it tastes ok to me. I emailed them to check because it doesn't say on the back whether it contains D2 or D3 and I got this reply -

Thanks for your email to our service team.

The ASDA Unsweetened Soya milk contain Vitamin D2 which is suitable for vegans and vegetarians.

Troutina
Feb 27th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Apparantly Asda now stock a lot of the Redwoods Deli range!
Chicken pieces, pepperoni- brilliant!

bignige
Feb 27th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Apparantly Asda now stock a lot of the Redwoods Deli range!
Chicken pieces, pepperoni- brilliant!

They do all organic versions of stuff not available anywhere else. They have some pork sausages that taste like their cheatin' bacon, which are very nice. Stingy at 4 in a pack, but nice!

Pob
Mar 14th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Found a new own-brand range of dry mixes in Asda. 2 types of sausage, a chargrilled burger mix, a nut roast mix, a chicken style roast mix.
All 78p. They're in brown sachets.

We bought one of each.

So far we have had the burger mix, which was really good. Supposed to make 8 burgers, but I made 4 quarter pounder sized burgers out of it. It seemed unlikely it would hold together, so I baked them rather than fried or grilled as recommended on the packet. They actually firmed up really well.

They have a chargrilled flavour and tasted really great in a bun with all the trimmings. :thumbsup:

With this and the Redwoods chilled stuff I'm actually willing to forgive Asda for the lack of freezer goodness. Shame we have to venture to the Chavham branch to get all the good stuffs.

jimmeh
Mar 14th, 2009, 09:13 PM
With this and the Redwoods chilled stuff I'm actually willing to forgive Asda for the lack of freezer goodness. Shame we have to venture to the Chavham branch to get all the good stuffs.

I think they are reluctant to stock things like Linda McCartney frozen stuff because they have their own frozen vegetarian range. But it's a shame very few of their own range are vegan

I'll have to check the dried mixes out. Thanks !

Rakey
Mar 17th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Pob, they do them in Chavham (Haha!) ?
Shame I don't live nearer, however, they do most redwoods stuff in the H&B over in T Wells.
Nice to see other Kent ppl on here, i've yet to find a decent vegan restuarant in the county tho.

Gorilla
Mar 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Found a new own-brand range of dry mixes in Asda. 2 types of sausage, a chargrilled burger mix, a nut roast mix, a chicken style roast mix.
All 78p. They're in brown sachets.

they sound good but i don't live near an Asda any more and they don't seem to have them on the online delivery service. they don't have any Redwood stuff in the online store either.

leedsveg
Mar 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Very large Asda store in Pudsey, a suburb of Leeds but the veggie choice is poor (apart from the ubiquitous Quorn) and the vegan choice is negligible. A shame really as Asda started in Leeds, but then this is the uncivilised North..

:mad:

Pob
Mar 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Yeah, Quorn is a bit all-conquering in the supermarkets in general. :mad:

You find some vegan stuff one week, and then when that's all sold they don't restock. And the Quorn stuff expands into the space.

I can't see the dry packet mix stuff doing well unless they promote it and place it somewhere more visible.

Pob
Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:05 PM
Tried the pork style sausages. Not bad, but could do with more spice. Made 8 decent sized sausages.

Nut roast mix is tasty but doesn't go far at all. 2 medium sized servings. I don't think it works out any cheaper than the Granose stuff. In fact, looking at the ingredients I would say it is made by Granose. Handy size if only for one or two people though :)

sandra
Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Pob what section of Asda are these products?
I was in Asda yesterday and couldn't find them anywhere. The one I was in didn't have much of a veggie section though! :(

Pob
Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
I'm not sure. If your Asda sells Beanfeast packets they should be near there. They might not have rolled them out to many stores yet.

There was also a vegetarian chilli con carne packet mix, and a soya mince mix, in older style of packaging with them. I think there were couscous packet mixes as well.

I found a new falafel mix, as well.

sandra
Mar 23rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks Pob, I'll check to see if I can see any Beanfeast stuff next time I'm there and have a look around that area! :)

Pob
Mar 25th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I'm trying to get confirmation that the mixes are definitely vegan.

I had a reply containing a vegetarian list which doesn't list vegan products and also doesn't list these products at all (which are labelled vegetarian on the packets). So that's helpful then. :rolleyes:

Pob
Mar 29th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Found all the new stuff in my local branch (which is a really rubbish branch). It's on the same section of shelf as the mashed potato and ready made polenta.

bignige
Apr 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM
Coventry Asda (The big one) has bags of Grassingtons Chicken Nuggets which are vegan. They've also reintroduced their own brand frozen chicken fillets - now with added milk/egg!

Buddha Belly
Apr 1st, 2009, 02:00 PM
Tried the pork style sausages. Not bad, but could do with more spice. Made 8 decent sized sausages.

Nut roast mix is tasty but doesn't go far at all. 2 medium sized servings. I don't think it works out any cheaper than the Granose stuff. In fact, looking at the ingredients I would say it is made by Granose. Handy size if only for one or two people though :)

Tried the sausage one, it was quite nice really.

Pob
Apr 1st, 2009, 09:40 PM
Coventry Asda (The big one) has bags of Grassingtons Chicken Nuggets which are vegan. They've also reintroduced their own brand frozen chicken fillets - now with added milk/egg!I presume they must be a new make as the old ones were the same recipe as the Grassington's Gardein range.

I have a cupboard full of all the different packet mixes, but the lure of the burgers is too strong, and the other sorts get neglected.