PDA

View Full Version : Asda

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

CallThem
Jan 15th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I was looking on the Asda website at the suitable for vegan's list and this was listed:

Salad Cream

Asda SALAD CREAM 445G (SQUEEZY)Does anybody know if this is true? Or just a typo?

I'm going to e-mail them also.

Monday
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM
I don't see why not - a few salad creams are vegan but i would check the ingredients first just in case.

Monday x

Risker
Jan 17th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Yes it is, I'm just about to eat some.

I'll list the ingredients shortly.

cookey
Jan 17th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Oh, when I looked it seemed that al their salad cream had egg in! Maybe they didn't have the right one in our local shop.

Risker
Jan 17th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Ok this is the reduced fat (70% less fat) 445g Squeezy bottle

Water, Malt Vinegar (from barley), Sugar, Modified Maize Starch, Sunflower oil (5%), Mustard Powder, Salt, Stabilisers (Xantham Gum, Guar Gum), Emulsifier (polyoxyethylene sorbitan monostearate), Lemon juice from Concentrate, Spice Extracts (Salt, Cinnamon Oleoresin, Coriander Oleoresin, Dextrose, Sunflower oil) Sweetner (saccharin), Colour (Riboflavin).

Contains Barley and Mustard, may contain traces of nuts and/or seeds.

Marked suitable for vegetarians.

The smaller glass bottle reduced fat one is also vegan (Or at least was when I bought mine)

CallThem
Jan 18th, 2007, 12:48 AM
This is good to hear. I bought some today!

Pob
Jun 15th, 2007, 01:16 PM
ASDA seem to have a load of new organic stuff that's very reasonably priced.

Organic Spicy Lentil and Bean Soup is lovely.
I've bought their organic baked beans, but not tried them yet.

Both of those are lower in salt than any organic versions I've seen before, so well done to ASDA for that!

Packets of dry Quinoa and Buckwheat seemed very cheap, too.

In other news, the pancakes (for making mock duck pancakes) are now ASDA branded and say not suitable for freezing. I've frozen some to see whether they work or not. The old make that seemed identical were freezable which was handy so I could stock up on them.

Risker
Jun 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM
What the hell? I've just ordered online at asda for the first time in a long time and now realise that they've got rid of the link to their 'healthy living' page which has the 'free from' lists on it. I found a link to it from elsewhere though and loaded up only to find that the suitable for vegans list says on it 'This list should be next updated January 2007'. that was 5 months ago!!

I tried using it anyway and half the items on the list are no longer stocked. I can only assume that they've given up on it.

AND they've got a dodgy obsession with milk, with tv adverts and on their main website page too.

shez
Aug 10th, 2007, 09:28 PM
i think sainsburys does a vegan salad crea, too. i was amased when i saw it. it was one of things you just resign yourself to havin' to give up when you go from veggie to vegan

horselesspaul
Aug 10th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Water, Malt Vinegar (from barley), Sugar, Modified Maize Starch, Sunflower oil (5%), Mustard Powder, Salt, Stabilisers (Xantham Gum, Guar Gum), Emulsifier (polyoxyethylene sorbitan monostearate), Lemon juice from Concentrate, Spice Extracts (Salt, Cinnamon Oleoresin, Coriander Oleoresin, Dextrose, Sunflower oil) Sweetner (saccharin), Colour (Riboflavin).

Contains Barley and Mustard, may contain traces of nuts and/or seeds.
E435. Not usually vegan iirc. Never liked salad cream, personally, more of a Plamil 'white stuff' guy.

Ribbon
Aug 16th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Just a quick heads up i was in ASDA yesterday and grabbed a bottle of tomato ketchup.wasn't til i got it home i read "improved recipe" which actually means they put LACTOSE in it (like tesco have in theirs).it seems so utterly pointless to me.

And also does anyone know about the veganess of ASDA's own brand soya milk.the non organic one used to say suitable for vegans but they've changed all the recipes and packaging and now it doesn't.so i'm kinda suspicious cos of all the vitamins and stuff.seems i'll have to write to them..or just not buy their soya milk *sigh*

Monday
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:44 PM
The Asda unsweetened soya milk with nothing added is vegan but the unsweetened with calcium and vitamins isn't as it has D3 in it.

I stand in the store and ring on my mobile!

Monday xx

cedarblue
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:10 PM
in my local the other day, in the 'free'from' section, i noticed a dairy-free chocolate spread and a sunflower seed butter.

Joeybee
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Oh My God!!!!! I haven't had salad cream for yeeeeears, I just figured it all had stuff in we couldn't have. Oooooh yay, a trip to ASDA is on the cards!

Maisiepaisie
Feb 3rd, 2008, 01:26 PM
I found a new vegan product in Asda yesterday. A pack of 2 Meat free chicken style fillets. They're in the vegetarian freezer section. Haven't tried them yet but will let you know shortly what I think.

Jiffy
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
They have a half-price offer on at the moment on Original Source shaving gel. Only applies to the lime one though. I also picked up some of the chicken style fillets so I'll report back on those as well.

bryzee86
Feb 4th, 2008, 09:18 AM
they are very good, maisie and jiffy. enjoy!

Maisiepaisie
Feb 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM
they are very good, maisie and jiffy. enjoy!
Yes they are, and really filling too!

Maisiepaisie
Mar 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
I found some yummy vegan goodies in the kosher section recently - Rakusens chocolate digestives, some chocolate wafers that I can't remember the proper name of, and best of all, some praline filled chocolate called Rosemarie which is only 1.20 for a block of 12 squares.

bryzee86
Mar 2nd, 2008, 08:51 PM
I've had the rakusen digestives (yum!) and Osem wafers (I think they're the ones you mean) from tesco's, but I've never had a rosemarie! Must keep my eyes peeled.

Oh crap I just realised one of Jo's mates is called rosemarie...

Maisiepaisie
Mar 2nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Osem Wafers, yeah thats the one. I noticed they have they have them in Tesco too as well as the digestives, but sadly not the Rosemarie chocolate.

bryzee86
Mar 2nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
i'll have a look for rosemarie when i'm next in asda

RossClement
Mar 20th, 2008, 05:41 PM
E435. Not usually vegan iirc. Never liked salad cream, personally, more of a Plamil 'white stuff' guy.

I must agrree. I've bought vegan salad cream a few times, and just don't like it. But the plamil vegan mayo .... yummy!

RossClement
Mar 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM
I've had the rakusen digestives (yum!) and Osem wafers (I think they're the ones you mean) from tesco's, but I've never had a rosemarie! Must keep my eyes peeled.

I prefer to make my own chocolate digestives by dipping plain digestives (I used those from the co-op) into melted chocolate. Then you can do a batch of chocolate gingernuts while you're at it.

cedarblue
May 8th, 2008, 08:57 PM
i noticed today that my asda have started stocking the aconbury range of sprouts! mung beans, alfalfa, a mixed blend and red radish. let's hope people buy them so they'll continue to stock but i'm not holding my breath.