PDA

View Full Version : Soy Protein Shakes

Kitiara
Jan 17th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I've been considering taking Soy Protein Shakes to aid minor weight loss whilst I continue with my gym routine. I've read pro's and con's of intense soy intake but don't know alot about its benefits/side effects in terms of minor weight loss and it's benefits to the body.

Does anyone have any experience or advice about this?

Thankyou :)

cookey
Jan 17th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Do you mean you've been losing weight and you want to stop it?
I would suggest taking on extra calories through yummy food rather than protein shakes. There is much controversy about whether you actually need very much protein or not. I know some people who think you do. From what I've read, I think that's a myth and you don't need very much protein. I 've weight trained for about 16 years and never taken a protein shake!
If you have a look over on vegan fitness website,you will find loads of discussion about it.

hollybee
Jan 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Too much protein is incredibly bad for your kidneys. I agree with cookey. Protein shakes aren't necessary.

Bic
Jan 18th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Why is protein so bad? I thought it was good for your muscles?

And to avoid losing weight I thinking that consuming more healthy foods with high calories like some nuts, rice, certain vegetables (brussel sprouts are a bit high, I think? May be thinking of cooked, though), etc. would be good.

Tigerlily
Jan 18th, 2007, 03:13 AM
I think Kitiara is trying to lose weight...not gain it.

Kitiara
Jan 18th, 2007, 04:35 AM
Correct! Well, what I have read about soy protein shakes + regular exercise is that it can repair small muscle rips caused by activity as well as being low in calories/fat but high in various nutrients such as protein (obviously), zinc, calcium and iron.

Im still uncertain anymore imput?

cookey
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:29 AM
If you are trying to lose weight then I know there are many threads already on this. You need to make sure you have lots of carbohydrate to give yourself enough energy to exercise.
The recomendations for protein that I follow are 0.8grams per kilogram of bodyweight. Most people already consume more than this.
What builds muscle is exercise, not protein, although it helps with repair and you do need it. My understanding is that our bodies can only use a certain amount anyway and that more protein does not equal more muscle.
If you Pm me, I can give you advice on what type of exercise program you should be following to lose weight, I'm a qualified fitness instructor.

Bic
Jan 18th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I think Kitiara is trying to lose weight...not gain it.
Oops. I suppose I read "aid" as "avoid". :o
In that case ignore my rice advice.

Dart
Jan 18th, 2007, 12:40 PM
You have to remember that soy is just a bean. A bean with alot more amino acid/protein in it than others, but still a bean. It will not be like whey or egg protein powder shakes that are animal based. Soy will still have carbs in it for energy to help in the metabolism of the body.
Now soy also has some estrogen activity involved. Now, with all the studies done for the estrogen activity, the amount they (probably lab rats - can't wait till they are able to do tests on cultured cells instead) had to consume was enormous. If you have two or three shakes for weeks and weeks, then you might have some estrogen activity. But taking a shake for lunch/meal replacement would not hurt you. Just like having tofu or a soy yogurt for lunch. I would reccommend something green to go with it. Protein is a good body building block to supply the muscles with, but you need all those enzymes that need co-factors to be the workers to help build the muscle. Trace elements, vitamins, minerals, etc., need to be with the protein. A little spirulina or sprouts should do the trick.
And if soy is not agreeing with your body/stomache, then there is rice, pea, hemp, and vegetable (everything) protein powders to make into shakes!;)

hollybee
Jan 20th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Protein is a big molecule. Excess amounts can cause kidney damage because the blood vessels in the kidneys are very, very small.

Dart
Jan 22nd, 2007, 03:01 AM
Protein is a big molecule, but hopefully your digestive system can break it down into the amino acids that comprises it. And you should only take in the amount of protein that your digestive system can handle at that time. On a vegan diet, I can not see how you would get so much protein. Even my protein shakes servings (comprise of brown rice protein, pea protein, spirulina, and freeze-dried sprouts) have only 17 grams of protein in them, as compared to the massive 75 grams of some animal-based protein powders or 50 grams from whey. That is about as much as a good hefty peanut butter and jelly sandwich on a sprouted wheat bread. I am cutting/dieting now and do not want all the fat and carbs that go along with the protein (the shakes still have carbs in it, 10 grams, but not as much compared to the PB and J sandwich).
I eat so much tofu, soy yogurt, and soy cheese, that I based my protein shakes on soy-less ones because I don't want to overdo it with soy. Moderation in everything.

xJimx
Jan 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
It's perfectly possible to get a vegan protein shake with 50g+ protein, should you want one. Pea protein is very concentrated (& also a complete protein) but pretty cheap so a good option in my opinion. 17g per shake seems very low to me.

Protein requirements vary enormously depending on size & lifestyle, so it's impossible to say that "x amount of protein per day is too much" e.g. as someone who weighs 100kg and lifts weights regularly my protein intake is very high compared to the average person, vegan or otherwise.

You can get plenty of non-soy vegan-friendly protein products from http://www.myprotein.co.uk.

treehugga
May 5th, 2007, 03:24 AM
I think it's the stuff they use to extract the soy protein isloate that's the problem - it causes all sorts of health issues. There's lots on the web if you care to goggle re this.
I just make smoothis with ground nuts and seeds and also protein balls with the same ingredients-similar to truffles and consume several of these per day.
My husband does heaps of weights etc and gym work and has no problem with maintaining a substantial muscle mass, even though he's genetically small in build, despite not consuming alot of protein powders etc.
There's a vegan body building site online that could be helpful.
I think a lot of the powder stuff is marketing hype.