PDA

View Full Version : Tofu in Tescos??

red7
Jan 19th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Hi guys,

Just a quick question about Tofu. I generally shop at Tescos and decided to try Tofu. I got some of the stuff by Cauldron (the one packed in water) and I must say I really didn't like it :( . I think it was mainly the texture I didn't like but the taste wasn't particularly nice either. But I still want to eat Tofu!! I heard today that extra firm Tofu is considerably different to soft Tofu, both in texture AND flavour. Has anyone got any opinions on this? And also, where can I get hold of this stuff in the UK? Can't find it in Tescos but then maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanking you muchly,

Red :p

fiamma
Jan 19th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Hi Red,
how did you eat your tofu? It is very bland and I'd recommend doing something to spice it up - marinating or deep frying are two good ways of doing this. There's a whole sub-forum dedicated to tofu - have a look here (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75).

Different types of tofu are used for different recipes - the firmer kinds for marinating and deep frying, while the softer ("silken") varieties can be used for anything from French toast to scrambles to puddings.

If you look in any health food store they should have it. Or ask in the supermarket, I don't know how many UK supermarkets stock it but the UK members will be able to help you out on that one.

Bic
Jan 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Haha, oh dear. It seems you made the mistake I did when I first became vegan.
Lesson #1: Tofu is not, under any circumstances, to be eaten plain/raw.
At least for me any my tastebuds, anyways. :D

I'd suggest getting pre-packaged "baked tofu" if you're not up to cooking with it yet, but there's no time like the present - so I'd suggest getting your favourite veggies, a little bit of soy sauce (or whatever, really), crumbling some tofu in a pan and stir-frying to your heart's content. Trust me - it tastes lovely.

aubergine
Jan 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I found I took a while to adjust to the taste of Tofu. Now I like it very much. Any way is fine.

red7
Jan 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I used it to make a chinese cabbage and tofu soup - really tasty but I had to pick out all the bits of Tofu. (Kind of defeats the object of cabbage and Tofu soup!). Then I used it to make an onion 'quiche' and that was just horrible :eek:

I've got some pre-marinaded bits I'm going to try but just thought if I could find some firmer stuff to try there's sooooo many more things to make! Just can't seem to get my hands on any though :( Will definately check out that forum, too, cheers!

tommytrauma
Jan 21st, 2007, 03:47 PM
eww i hate the packaged na soya like that. try mori nu silken tofu it is so smooth and creamy, it freezes well too. i can eat it plain and raw, sometimes with a little mustard or hot sauce mhmmm. im not sure if they have that brand in the uk though.

harpy
Jan 21st, 2007, 05:06 PM
You may well like the Cauldron pre-marinated bits better, red7. The plain stuff is more palatable if you squeeze out as much of the water as possible and marinate it yourself.

I think the best place to look for different kinds of tofu is probably an oriental supermarket if you have access to one. Fresh & Wild have a few kinds too.

triona.d.
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:02 PM
urgh urgh urgh - cauldron tofu - urgh! PLEASE don't give up on tofu though - it's SO great. my favourite type is by a company called taifin. they do all sorts of varieties - my favourite is smoked tofu with almonds and seseme seeds....mmmmmmmmmm........sooooo good. especially in a sandwhich with vegan mayo and alfalfa sprouts. look out for it in health food stores, i've never seen it in supermarkets. look out for the firmer kind - in my opinion it's much nicer. also, redwoods do a good tofu sosage which is really firm with a wonderful texture and taste - you can get them in holland and barrats. happy tofuing! tri

mooli magic
Feb 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I find Cauldron tofu quite salty and the pre marinated stuff just tastes unhealthy! (to me anyway!) The 'Original' type is OK though and because its so firm it's great for cubing and putting into stirfries, curries etc and doesn't break up either.

To be honest I'm not a particularly experienced tofu person and I'm sometimes at a bit of a loss as with what to do with firm silken tofu...whatever you do to it is seems to stay like some kind of tasteless, colourless custard that you can cut up, but doesn't retain its shape. I just tend to use it blended up as an egg replacer, but there must be other things to do with it, surely?

flying plum
Mar 9th, 2007, 04:52 PM
i hate the cauldron tofu. it's vile, imo....

i sometimes buy mine from china town, but it's all chinese so i've no idea what it's called. however, i did just find some yesterday in the 'ethnic' section of sainsbury's, though i forget what it's called. i'll look when i get home :)

amanda

Marrers
Mar 9th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I love Marigold's 'braised' tofu - it comes in tins (short wide sized) and has a really nice flavour and texture, quite stringy and chewy. I add it to stews or eat it cold with a salad etc.

You can also get tins of Mock Duck which are similar but not as nice.

Cherry
Mar 9th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I prefer mock duck to marigold braised tofu :p

Cauldron tofu is my least fave, and I agree, needs something doing to it! I either deep fry it and dip it in chilli sauce, or marinate it in soya sauce, crushed garlic and chopped ginger and shallow fry.

My FAVOURITE is the taifun basil flavour one. I can eat the taifun ones cold :D

Gorilla
Mar 9th, 2007, 09:57 PM
i tried the Taifun basil tofu for the first time the other day, i fried it and ate it with pasta. it was pretty good :)

bryony
Jun 7th, 2007, 03:23 PM
haha my brother (11) eats toffu sandwhiches with slices of RAW cauldron toffu, spelt bread and tomato ketchup. hehe

absentmindedfan
Jun 7th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Silken tofu is best used in baking and desserts. Just look for recipes online.
I made a fab cheesecake with silken tofu, it was lovely

puffin
Jun 7th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I agree AMF. I do a silken tofu cheesecake and it is really tasty.
Tastes like angel delight before it is cooked.

Darky_
May 6th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Red7, I know exactly what you feel!! I still haven't found any other Tofu in one of my closest healh food stores and the only tofu I can find in tescos is an over priced Couldren Organic Tofu cube! haha! Is that the one you get?

It is ridicolous and not just the lack of cheap and decent tofu and a good amount, even VEGAN food is a pain to find or it's way over priced. I mean I make food a lot too, but I also like to have food thats done with no mess in the oven/grill in 15 or 20 minutes. I am not that into cooking every night. I have make nearly everything from scratch. . . .So where is TOFU!!!? hehehehee!!!
It costs way over a quid for one small cube of couldrens!! (I think every smiley would go nicely in here - it's amusing but its not so i will use this one!) :rollseyes_ani:
haha

Mr Flibble
May 6th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Is 50p per portion of organic tofu expensive?

bryzee86
May 6th, 2008, 11:07 AM
It is when it tastes like Cauldron does.

Mr Flibble
May 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM
tastes like unmarinated tofu to me ;)

There's certainly nicer out there (not in supermarkets of course), but it isn't bad for the price if you do something good with it.

bryzee86
May 6th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Totally. Not that my local Tesco even stocks it any more...