View Full Version : POM to stop testing beverages on animals

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pansypuss
Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:32 AM
Has anyone read this?:mad:
http://www.caringconsumer.com/products_juice.asp

harpy
Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
Yes, I have just written to complain. I sometimes bought that POM Wonderful stuff, overpriced as it is, but no more, until they change their tune. :mad:

pixeequeen
Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:54 AM
That's interesting: Sunny delight are listed as a good company. I thought I'd heard they were animal testers so never have bought the stuff. Did I make this up then?

Orange juice makes me want to yak anyway, but on the offchance I get a craving for fruity sugar juice or sugary fruit juice ;)

Maisiepaisie
Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:06 PM
Sunny Delight is made by Procter & Gamble so I don't get why its listed either :confused:

aubergine
Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:12 PM
Sunny Delight should be avoided if you like your health too. probably the only soft drink that has more sugar than coke.

Gorilla
Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:20 PM
i read about this in PETA's Animal Times magazine. i also thought it was strange that they were listing Sunny D as a fruit juice made by a non-animal testing company, as i always thought it was made by P&G. :confused: i was totally disgusted by the whole thing and even though a couple of the companies say they don't test any more, i don't think i could forgive them for inflicting such pointless suffering on these animals and i still won't buy their products. :mad:

Imapeach
Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:40 PM
That is shocking!

I heard once that Australian made apple juice was not vegan because Green Tree Frogs would fall into the barrels as the apples were being picked and then get mushed up with the fruit! But I searched and searched for info on this and found nada. In the end I figured out that it was somebody trying to sell a certain brand of apple juice who'd made this story up and this was their way of marketing it to gullible people :rolleyes: But for a short time there I was off apple juice!

Roxy
Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:03 PM
Thank you Pansypuss, for posting this info. I had no idea that this type of thing happened :eek:

I have sent an email to POM and forwarded the action alert to friends and family, in the hope that they will boycott POM and send an email also.

IndigoSea
Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:14 PM
URCH!!
I used to LOVE PomWonderful! D:

Never ever buying any of their products EVER again!

Pansypuss
Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:08 PM
Hope we make a difference. I wrote to them and said I was going to broadcast what they were doing to a wide audience. Will it be enough to get it stopped? What else can be done? Unfortunately it seems to me that when it comes to trying to make things better we take 3 steps back for every two steps forward.

Roxy
Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
I guess we can try and look on the bright side. Other companies such as Welch's and Ocean Spray, no longer conduct animal testing - so given enough pressure, hopefully Pom will change their ways too. It's all about the mighty dollar - and if enough people stop buying their products AND let them know why they don't buy them anymore........well you never know.

Sheila
Aug 24th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I'm still waiting on my response from POM?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/andystalma/pom-cheat-death.jpg

Daffy
Aug 24th, 2006, 06:00 AM
How repulsive.

There is no legitimate reason fruit juice needs to be tested on animals.

I don't buy it anyway, and I'm certainly not about to start.

Angel
Aug 24th, 2006, 05:44 PM
It crazy how there are companies that will test anything and everything on animals. :(
What the heck is wrong with people?!
Animal testing should be banned everywhere.

IndigoSea
Aug 29th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Loving that graphic! Did you make it?

Sheila
Aug 29th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Loving that graphic! Did you make it?

No. I got that from one of my friends.

harpy
Aug 29th, 2006, 01:32 PM
I haven't heard back from them either, Sheila, but I wouldn't necessarily expect to :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I think it's a good idea when writing these letters to mention that you are, or used to be, a loyal customer but that you're not going to buy their products any more until they change their policy - perfectly true in my case. If you weren't a customer anyway they're less likely to take notice, is my theory.

lozza
Sep 1st, 2006, 07:42 AM
its strange that peta listed sunny delite as one of the good guys, since its owned by procter & gamble.

but i've noticed peta tends to get it wrong sometimes. they listed nivea as an ethical non-testing company *rolls eyes*

how many people went out & bought sunny d after reading their website, i wonder.

edit:
i've just had a thought. perhaps p+g dont test that particular product on animals? highly unlikely, i know but possible.

Sheila
Sep 2nd, 2006, 02:29 PM
I haven't heard back from them either, Sheila, but I wouldn't necessarily expect to :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I think it's a good idea when writing these letters to mention that you are, or used to be, a loyal customer but that you're not going to buy their products any more until they change their policy - perfectly true in my case. If you weren't a customer anyway they're less likely to take notice, is my theory.

I hate not getting a reply from a company so I sent them another request stating that I could not resume purchasing their product until I knew for sure that they didn't test. I'll just keep re-forwarding the same email until someone answers me.

keykeypie
Sep 2nd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Oh....if you're emailing them, why not send a link to this discussion on these boards????

Sheila
Sep 7th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. Kindly refer to the letter below which was sent to PETA regarding POM Wonderful and animal testing:

Dear Mr. Benjamin:
Thank you for sharing your concerns about our medical research program in your letter dated June 1, 2006. We have read and appreciate your opinion and would like to take this opportunity to share our company’s position on this important topic.
PETA is asking POM Wonderful to join the ranks of companies like Sunny Delight, SunSweet, Welch’s, Old Orchard, and Campbell’s in signing PETA’s statement renouncing animal research. However, there is an important difference between our products and theirs: POM Wonderful pomegranate juice offers uniquely potent, scientifically-proven health benefits that are worthy of continued medical research.
POM Wonderful is proud to offer the highest quality natural products that enable people to live healthy lives. And we are committed to supporting rigorous scientific research aimed at discovering the truth about how pomegranates affect human health.
It now appears that pomegranate juice may play an important role in significantly improving prostate health. According to the Prostate Cancer Foundation, prostate cancer affects 1 in 6 males in the US, and a man dies from prostate cancer every 19 minutes. At the May, 2005 annual meeting of the American Urological Association, researchers from UCLA presented stunning results from an ongoing study that follows 48 men with advanced prostate who drink pomegranate juice daily. The researchers found that it took significantly longer for PSA (the biological marker for prostate cancer) levels to double, indicating that cancer growth had slowed. Further phases of this study have shown even more promising results.
This is one example of how pomegranate products may offer significant health benefits. We will not turn our backs on the opportunity to help improve people’s lives, and therefore we believe it is essential to support sound scientific research aimed at learning how pomegranates benefit human health.
Our research program provides funding to the world’s leading academic and medical institutions whose researchers follow a comprehensive, scientific investigation process.
This process starts with basic test-tube research and then progresses to controlled studies in both animals and humans. Only by completing this comprehensive range of research activities can scientists confirm that a product is both safe and truly effective at promoting good health.
As a matter of principle, we avoid funding animal testing wherever possible. However, there are situations in which animal studies can help scientists better understand the powerful health benefits of pomegranates. In the case of prostate cancer, for example, researchers need to learn why pomegranate juice works more powerfully in some men versus others, and animal testing can provide unique clues to the mechanisms of action.
Where it is scientifically justified to proceed with animal studies, we only provide funding to institutions accredited by the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of the Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC) or by an equivalent body. Researchers must treat the animals humanely, and they must strictly comply with local, state and federal regulations and guidelines related to animal studies. Additionally, we have never funded research studies that use dogs, cats, or primates. Furthermore, POM Wonderful is not pursuing any new health studies that involve feeding animals pomegranate juice.
In recognition of the importance of humane animal treatment, we have decided to initiate an audit of all funded research institutions to ensure that they are in full compliance with AAALAC and regulatory requirements.
Pomegranate juice may offer health benefits in areas that where only animal studies can provide researchers the information they need. For example, as published in Pediatric Research (June, 2005), researchers concluded that consuming pomegranate juice during pregnancy may protect newborns from brain damage caused by lack of blood and oxygen during premature and other irregular births. These findings were made possible by mice studies that could not be conducted on human infants.
Our organization is made up of passionate people who care deeply about improving the world around us. We care about human health and wellness, the environment, and animal welfare. In fact many of us are devoted pet owners, and many of our pets are themselves rescue animals. Although we aim to avoid animal studies whenever possible, we do choose to fund such research when we believe that it will help to improve the human health condition. We are not ashamed of this fact.
We hope that you can respect our company’s position on this issue, just as we respect yours. Further, we ask that should you wish to share our views with your members, you reproduce the entirety of this letter so that your members can benefit from the full context of our statement.
With best regards,
POM Wonderful

Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 10:09 AM
To: POM - Customer Service
Subject: Customer Inquiry

I am still waiting on a response from someone about whether you test on animals or not. I have loved your juice but cannot purchase it not knowing if you are testing on animals or not. The following graphic is what is being circulated on the Internet. Would you please confirm this?

Thank you,

Sheila Jenkins

Charlotte, NC

Sheila
Sep 7th, 2006, 01:45 PM
My Response:

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for responding.

As you have made your decision so have I. I will never purchase your products again. I will also be posting this email in it's entirety on my web sites so that every other caring consumer who reads it will know where you stand.

I will also be sure to share with everyone I know what a wonderful company you are.

Sincerely,
Sheila Jenkins

Sheila
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Their Response,

Thank you for taking the time to read through our letter to PETA. Please feel free to fwd it on to your friends, or print it out for those concerned or interested in our position with this matter. Again, thanks for taking the time to read the letter in its entirety.
Sincerely,
POM Wonderful Customer Service

I just don't get some companies?

Tigerlily
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:26 PM
This makes me angry! On the news last night, there was a segment on how wonderful this juice was. They only mentioned POM brand, it was like a freaking 10 minute commercial pretty much. My mom seemed really interested, especially since they said it helped cancer patients (my aunt recently passed away from cancer). I hope my mom doesn't buy POM. I should mention something to her but I doubt she'd get it. She doesn't even understand why we should use recycled toilet paper! :rolleyes:

tsunami
Sep 7th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Used to love that juice until we found out that they did testing...it's so pointless. Most of the things they "discover" were already known for an extremely long time by the people who lived in regions where they grew. Why not ask the people and test it on sick people instead of making innocent lives suffer... At least some companies got smart changed for the better.