PDA

View Full Version : Peta sent me 5p

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Mr Flibble
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
Since ordering from the animal aid shop I've been recieving all sorts of spam through the post from them and other AR charities. (They and vegan store are the only poeple I've ever given my current address to who are likely to pass on details)

Yesterday I got a 5 pence piece from PETA. It came with a 2 page propoganda letter and an 8 question questionaire. The questionaire actually doesn't have any useful questions on it, it's just rigged to make you feel bad, then answer the last question as "Yes, I will change my shopping habits".

Why are they wasting their money sending letters to people who are obviously already vegan and know all this stuff already?

I'm moving house in a couple of weeks and want to continue ordering from/supporting animal aid, but I will think twice about it now.

karmadust
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
I get so much crap from PETA and it drives me crazy. I get petition after petition after petition (which I also get online, so I don't need the paper copy), followed by endless pleas for money, and about a million address labels that *never* have my name and/or address spelled correctly. Talk about generating a ton of waste.

RedWellies
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
I've had a similar thing happen with Animal Aid. Not only do I get sent their mag (which I never asked for and don't even want to read because some parts are so upsetting) but I also have had a few "begging" letters. I'm sure these people/organisations have got my name and address from Animal Aid. I keep meaning to call them and tell them to stop doing it or I will stop buying from them.

Edit... Oh, this is under Peta. Are we discussing them or Animal Aid or both?

Smoothie
Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
You SHOULD call them and tell them to stop. it's crap, to send stuff out to people who doesn't want it. i mean, if it is just send out, for the hell of it.. danm. it's not okay.

Lilac Hamster
Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:23 PM
You should ask Animal Aid and Veganstore if they in fact do pass on details to PeTA, as this is not OK without your permission. Did they give you a box to tick to say you did not want your address passed on when you ordered from them? They are supposed to give you the option, there are laws on Data Protection after all.

Gorilla
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
i get all kinds of begging letters from various charities despite always saying i don't want my details passed on by any organisations. i wrote to Peta asking them to stop sending me all this stuff but it still keeps coming. i don't know if i can do anything because i have supported Peta in the past, and i believe you can't make a company stop writing to you if you've had personal dealings with them in the past. if your details were passed on by someone else though that's probably different.

Lilac Hamster
Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:32 PM
NO if you ask them to stop they have to stop, regardless of previous dealings with them! It can be considered a form of harassment if they ignore your request repeatedly.
Good luck.

puffin
Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:21 PM
I got the 5p to. I also got 2p from them last year :rolleyes: They must have more money to waste this year.

Risker
Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:43 PM
I got 5p too, the survey that came with it was very short though, only about 8 questions. The last question pretty much just said "will you give us some money?"

Kevster
Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:06 PM
Well if everyone sends the 5p to a group that's more useful...... ;)

I order from Animal Aid and they haven't passed on my info to anyone, can't remember if they have those check boxes somewhere about??? But i wouldn't think they'd pass on your details to Peta, as much as we'd like groups to co-operate some do and some don't i've never heard of Peta being close to Animal Aid, unless they chuck them a load of 5ps.

I like the Animal Aid mag though, there's plenty of interesting stuff in there, they are my favourite campaigning group in the UK! I think they manage to strike a good balance.

Troutina
Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:20 PM
5p?
Seriously,what is the point?

Roxy
Jan 23rd, 2007, 04:33 AM
I'm in Canada and a couple of times a year, I get the same letter with 5 cents glued to it. I keep the 5 cents and the 2 page letter gets filed in the trash.

Barley
Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Well if everyone sends the 5p to a group that's more useful...... ;)

I order from Animal Aid and they haven't passed on my info to anyone, can't remember if they have those check boxes somewhere about??? But i wouldn't think they'd pass on your details to Peta, as much as we'd like groups to co-operate some do and some don't i've never heard of Peta being close to Animal Aid, unless they chuck them a load of 5ps.

I like the Animal Aid mag though, there's plenty of interesting stuff in there, they are my favourite campaigning group in the UK! I think they manage to strike a good balance.

Good post Kevster... Why are we knocking AR organisations for trying to help animals? Cancer Research organisations etc do it - it's how charities survive... I got stuff from Animal Aid which I didn't ask for, and decided to support them because they stand against horse racing and stand up for rats - lots of AR organisations stick to fluffies, which is fine because we want the fluffy brigade's money too.... Yes, I sometimes dread opening the magazines and if I'm having a bad day I might put it away for later, but sooner or later I'll look because I'm lucky - I have the choice, animals don't :o

puffin
Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
I like the animal aid mag, after all they are there to educate. Sending money is pointless as far as i am concerned and we all have no clue how much they sent out. I wouldnt like to think money i gave them was sent out as 5p's around the country, i want it to go to help animals. I would prefer emails with animal news on though.

Gorilla
Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Good post Kevster... Why are we knocking AR organisations for trying to help animals? Cancer Research organisations etc do it - it's how charities survive... I got stuff from Animal Aid which I didn't ask for, and decided to support them because they stand against horse racing and stand up for rats - lots of AR organisations stick to fluffies, which is fine because we want the fluffy brigade's money too.... Yes, I sometimes dread opening the magazines and if I'm having a bad day I might put it away for later, but sooner or later I'll look because I'm lucky - I have the choice, animals don't :o

true, but personally i object to these marketing letters being sent out because if i want to give money to a charity i will choose one myself of my own accord, not because they send me begging letters with silly gimmicks like sticking 5p pieces onto the letters.

karmadust
Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
My issue isn't receiving information. Information is good. My issue is the mass amounts of paper waste generated by these campaigns. I'm aware that not all animal rights activists also care about the environment and the overuse of resources, but a large number do, and it really turns me off to an organization to get envelope after envelope full of stuff that most people toss before it even gets opened!

Barley
Jan 24th, 2007, 12:24 PM
true, but personally i object to these marketing letters being sent out because if i want to give money to a charity i will choose one myself of my own accord, not because they send me begging letters with silly gimmicks like sticking 5p pieces onto the letters.

I expect you will find that for the vast majority of charities this is the ONLY way they survive. You open an envelope - you see a picture which distresses you - you send some money. I can agree with you at some level and when I receive 'begging' letters about anything not concerning animals I can get very angry, but if someone gives money to help animals who wouldn't normally, because they've seen how animals are treated in this world via unsolicited mail, then I'm glad.

Barley
Jan 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM
My issue isn't receiving information. Information is good. My issue is the mass amounts of paper waste generated by these campaigns. I'm aware that not all animal rights activists also care about the environment and the overuse of resources, but a large number do, and it really turns me off to an organization to get envelope after envelope full of stuff that most people toss before it even gets opened!

I can agree with you, but see the last sentence of my reply to Gorilla's post... All we can do is recycle.

Gorilla
Jan 24th, 2007, 12:29 PM
i understand that many charities get their main source of revenue from writing to people, but when i've repeatedly asked organisations like Peta to stop writing to me, and they've ignored it, it annoys me that they're wasting their money and resources.

Mr Flibble
Jan 24th, 2007, 08:17 PM
My reason for creating the thread (which may have been lost) is the fact that I'm a supporter already. I'm also already practicing the things they are spending money trying to persuade me of.

I understand that charities have to create revenue, but there's some pretty poor marketting going on here. In this case PETA are sending out a letter like this which has been recieved by no non-vegans I know - the only people I've found so far are all vegan already! If I got a letter asking for money towards an impartial education campaign (i.e. not shock tactics and propoganda of equal treachery as the opposition) for non vegans then I'd be a lot more receptive to it.

Gorilla
Jan 24th, 2007, 08:23 PM
i used to be a Peta supporter, but didn't feel they were spending my money as effectively as they could be, so i switched to other charities. i told them so and they ignored me completely.

karmadust
Jan 25th, 2007, 11:32 AM
same here

aubergine
Jan 25th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I recieved the letter too. I would assume it's because I requested a 'Vegetarian Starter Pack' when I was looking into going Vegan.

I don't see the point of this letter other than to get some really skewed results on a poll which doesn't help any of us in the long run.

dreama
Mar 20th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I get annoyed with these letters too. Not just the PETA ones either. Although the 5p doesn't impress me one bit.

Even with groups I actually support such as VIVA. I notice they sent me an email about the Demo against M and S selling factory farmed pigs and their response which was fine. I even passed it on to friends, but they also sent exactly the same thing in letter form. I'm all for VIVA but I wish they would stick to emails as then it doesn't waste valuable resourses in sending such stuff or paper either.

lysi
Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
I've been told that Animal Aid is sharing their data, for example with the League Against Cruel Sports and other similar charities. :(

The only way to get your name removed I think is to tell each one of them or you'll get passed on again. They should theoretically check their databases to see if you haven't registered to be excluded from marketing materials, so if you haven't done that, you could give this a try too.