PDA

View Full Version : Help Meat is murder by The Smiths get in the charts

Pages : 1 [2]

tilly
Feb 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
I like Morrisey, but I don't download stuff...

I would if it was 'Meat is Murder' though... ;)

PinkLogik
Mar 16th, 2007, 08:03 PM
I got this through email today:

Here's the link as promised. Hope you can help. Apparently 2 downloads per
person is the best way to do it as too many and you can get disqualified.
Thanks
Lyndsey
http://www.freewebs.com/meatisstillmurder/index.htm

Marrers
Mar 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM
:D

Marrers
Mar 17th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I need reminding nearer the time!

In fact within the voting period please, if anyone remembers to bump this on the first day of voting it would be great. Thanks.

vegan doll
Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
I know this has been discussed on here before so I won't go into too many details but if you would like to help with the campaign to download Meat is Murder by The Smiths into the charts please do so this week - cost is 79p. See link for details
http://www.freewebs.com/meatisstillmurder/

This also has a mention on the Vegan Society newspage and the Vegetarian Society classified section.

http://www.vegansociety.com/phpws/

http://www.vegsoc.org/directory/misc.html

Multiple downloads can lead to disqualification so only download once or twice maximum. I have given 79p each to all my non veggie/non vegan friends and asked them to do it also as a favour!

Thanks

vegan doll
Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:43 AM
Also got a mention on Peta's Myspace
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=323228&blogID=248494366&MyToken=b28d85ce-e5a5-461e-a7d3-f7f329f7cd85

Marrers
Apr 4th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I've downloaded it! Anyone else?

aubergine
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I tried several sites and they all crashed.

Can anyone reccomend one that doesn't require me to download any software in order to use it?

Pob
Apr 5th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I don't quite get this idea. Aren't we just shovelling tons of money at this?

Couldn't this money be better used by just donating it to Viva, or someone like that?

Just seems like a lot of money will be needed to be spent in total, and it will give a few people a stack of cash. Seems a bit of an odd idea. Except maybe to the people getting a slice of the cash. :rolleyes:

Mr Flibble
Apr 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
What are your vocals like pob? I've got a grade 2 in piano (well, actually I never took the exam, and I was on my second teacher when i gave up), shall we make an mp3 to flog to stupid people? ;)

Sarcasm aside, I do think this is a really dumb idea.

vegan doll
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I tried several sites and they all crashed.

Can anyone reccomend one that doesn't require me to download any software in order to use it?
I have used HMV & Tesco - they both worked fine and didnt require any software downloading. I would say the Tesco one is a bit more straightforward for new users - instructions on freewebs page.
Good luck!

vegan doll
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I don't quite get this idea. Aren't we just shovelling tons of money at this?

Couldn't this money be better used by just donating it to Viva, or someone like that?

Just seems like a lot of money will be needed to be spent in total, and it will give a few people a stack of cash. Seems a bit of an odd idea. Except maybe to the people getting a slice of the cash. :rolleyes:
I dont think 79p is a ton of money really, collectively possibly but thats not really the point. I dont know of vegans / veggies outside of the Morrissey fan base really but certainly all those I know say it was listening to that song one time that persuaded them to take the plunge. I wasnt a fan of the smiths when I first heard it so I didnt become veggie (later vegan) because Morrissey 'told me to'. I did it because its a really powerful song that hit home instantly. Vivas stats say that a meat eater eats their way through 4022 animals in a lifetime so 79p is better spent persuading more people to become to veggie/vegan and this song works. More animals will be saved this way I would imagine than your 79p going towards a one off rescue operation.

RedWellies
Apr 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
II dont know of vegans / veggies outside of the Morrissey fan base really
Come to one of the UK meet ups and meet me then!!!! I'm not a fan.;)

Pob
Apr 5th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Obviously one 79p isn't gonna go far, but the number of 79ps needed in this case would.

What is happening with all the proceeds?

If it was a new song, or a new recording or something, then maybe there would be merit in the idea. Just seems like some people will be making money for old rope out of the idea.

vegan doll
Apr 5th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Obviously one 79p isn't gonna go far, but the number of 79ps needed in this case would.

What is happening with all the proceeds?

If it was a new song, or a new recording or something, then maybe there would be merit in the idea. Just seems like some people will be making money for old rope out of the idea.
I know what you're saying but because it isnt an official thing the band probably dont even know anything about it. I would like to think if it does well they will donate any proceeds but obviously I cant guarantee that because I can't get in touch with them. Wish I could ring up Moz and ask him though! :D
A few people have mentioned this but if The Smiths earn, say, £2000 from this and just 10 people are persuaded to be veggie then thats somewhere approaching 40,000 animals not eaten. Who benefits the most? I'd pay the 2 grand myself to see that happen!

vegan doll
Apr 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Come to one of the UK meet ups and meet me then!!!! I'm not a fan.;)
What goes on at these meet ups then? Will I get vegan cheesecake? :)

RedWellies
Apr 5th, 2007, 07:07 PM
You might well do! See the UK meet up thread (you need to join the group to view).

StevieP
May 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM
David Hepworth considers how pop music has provided an education for its
listeners. He talks to people who say their ideas were changed by The
Smiths' Meat is Murder; http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/pip/olki1/