PDA

View Full Version : Help Meat is murder by The Smiths get in the charts

Pages : [1] 2

gertvegan
Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
I received this yesterday

Hi

You have probably already heard Meat is Murder by The Smiths (see lyrics below if not) but at http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=67434 we are doing an experiment with downloaded music.

The idea was just to get Morrissey in the charts but a few of us think it should be Meat is Murder and there has been a great suggestion of everyone downloading it Easter week when everyone will be tucking into their Sunday dinners and Meat is Murder gets played on the radio!

It isnt decided yet but would your members be prepared to download the track in the same week so we can get it in the charts and get more people to hear it? It would be a great way to raise awareness of vegetarianism. It is responsible for converting me to vegetarianism and I wasnt all that keen on Morrissey at the time.

Please let me know if you are willing to participate and I will be in touch with dates and the link.

Thanks
Lyndsey

Heifer whines could be human cries
Closer comes the screaming knife
This beautiful creature must die
This beautiful creature must die
A death for no reason
And death for no reason is MURDER

And the flesh you so fancifully fry
Is not succulent, tasty or kind
It's death for no reason
And death for no reason is MURDER
And the calf that you carve with a smile
Is MURDER
And the turkey you festively slice
Is MURDER
Do you know how animals die ?

Kitchen aromas aren't very homely
It's not "comforting", cheery or kind
It's sizzling blood and the unholy stench
Of MURDER

It's not "natural", "normal" or kind
The flesh you so fancifully fry
The meat in your mouth
As you savour the flavour
Of MURDER

NO, NO, NO, IT'S MURDER
NO, NO, NO, IT'S MURDER
Oh ... and who hears when animals cry ?

Will let you know more as and when. :)

Marrers
Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:39 PM
I'll always do anything I can to help to get Mozza in the charts but to get this track in would be especially good!

But is that the way the charts work? Can any track get into the singles chart as long as it is popular enough or does it have to be offically released as a single?

Gorilla
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:09 PM
the charts now include downloads from certain sites, so if enough people download the same song in the same week it'll end up in the top 40.

boomshanka
Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
He just keeps getting better! Will defo download in support. prefer 'cemetery gates' though.

Purple
Jan 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM
I presume you don't mean the Pantera version? :(

Barley
Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:50 AM
YES... I'll do it :-)

aubergine
Jan 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
What webstore works with the charts?

boomshanka
Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:16 PM
I presume you don't mean the Pantera version? :(

As a member of the 'Doris Day fan club' Purps, I think you could take an educated guess. I wonder if you could can 'headbang' to Doris Day?
Tell you what, I'll listen to Pantera and you headbang to 'secret love'. Deal!

emmapresley
Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
What webstore works with the charts?

woolworths apparently. Does i-tunes?

ill happily download :)

Stu
Jan 26th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Don't do it yet though, folks! We all need to download it at the same time (or rather, in the same week) as each other.

fiamma
Jan 26th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Tell me the time and place and I'll be there, virtually... :)

vegcurry
Jan 26th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I checked http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=67434 and it looks like they aren't going for Meat Is Murder, but Pigsty instead :(

terrace max
Jan 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM
What do they know? They voted 'National Front Disco' into second??

Stu
Jan 27th, 2007, 05:45 PM
So?
National Front Disco is a fantastic song. It should have been a single.

terrace max
Jan 27th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Compared to the rest of his dreary solo output, admittedly, not a bad tune - although SPM can't claim much credit for that.

The lyrics, on the other hand, are shit.

Stu
Jan 27th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Must.... resist...... correcting.... Terrace......... Max.............

terrace max
Jan 27th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Lol! Go on, give in to it...

gertvegan
Jan 30th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I received this today, after enquiring if it was still going ahead, and if you wish to follow the thread, see http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=67434

Yes it is but on Moz solo they are doing another song first so I thought I'd get an idea of whether people wanted to help, get that one out of the way (Feb) then send out exact dates (most likely Easter but will confirm) then send a final reminder the week before. I also want to make sure of other releases that week as I would be very upset if Robbie Williams did one the same week and kept Meat is murder off the top spot!

We need the support of Moz solo so I'll wait for them to get the other one done. Might be good practice as a trial run anyway. I will be in touch and thank you for your interest.

vegpunk
Jan 30th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Does Napster work with the charts?

vegpunk
Jan 30th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Is this for the UK or US?

Marrers
Jan 31st, 2007, 11:59 AM
Clearer details here - saves you trawling through the message board thread.
http://www.getmozinthecharts.vze.com/

If you sign up to the mailing list they will email to tell you when to download the track - though they have chosen to do 'Life Is A Pigsty' now. It's a shame they aren't doing Meat Is Murder but maybe if this works we can do that next.

There is a list of where you can download from to get it counted in the UK charts and there is one site mentioned which can be used by people outside the UK.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_285kKwF3Q&eurl=)

fiamma
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:05 PM
Sorry for being dense, but I thought the point was to get "Meat is Murder" in the charts? Or is this just a trial run? But then, if it is a trial run, how will we know how many of those who voted for Life is a Pigsty would vote for Meat is Murder? Sorry to be such a pedant.

Marrers
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:17 PM
From reading the website it seems there was just a plan to get any track in the charts. Someone suggested if they chose Meat Is Murder they could get Peta etc behind it - but I think they got no response so gave that idea up.

Stu
Jan 31st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Sorry for being dense, but I thought the point was to get "Meat is Murder" in the charts? Or is this just a trial run? But then, if it is a trial run, how will we know how many of those who voted for Life is a Pigsty would vote for Meat is Murder? Sorry to be such a pedant.

No - they just wanted to get a another Morrissey song in the charts. When they were taking a vote as to which song it would be, 'Meat Is Murder' just happened to be one of the choices.

fiamma
Feb 1st, 2007, 09:01 AM
Oh... I thought it was a vegetarian statement since PETA was originally behind it.