PDA

View Full Version : J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Risker
Oct 31st, 2008, 12:24 PM
They forgot to give us mango chutney, I had to go to the bar and ask for it - despicable

They should include lime pickle as well imho.

emzy1985
Oct 31st, 2008, 12:26 PM
My ex works there so I got everything as it should have been, albeit a tad slow. I actually got her to shove in another tub of mango chutney...simply because I love it! :D

Mmmm lime pickle! :satisfied:

Gorilla
Oct 31st, 2008, 01:06 PM
lime pickle, yuk! thanks for the photo, Emzy.

Hemlock
Nov 1st, 2008, 11:31 AM
I'm definitely planning to try this vegan curry next time I'm near a Wetherspoons. It will probably be the Briar Rose or the Square Peg in Birmingham City Centre.

Anyone else got a review to post? What did you think of the meal (as a pub curry, or compared to authentic ones?), and the service from the staff (in which Wetherspoons where and when)?

(Can we watch vegan yumminess spreading across the UK? :-)

We stayed at the Briar Rose (they have a v. nice Wetherlodge, right above the pub) when we were last in Birmingham. We'd just been to the NEC to see Iron Maiden just after we got together (eight years ago!)

Crafterga
Nov 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
I'm so glad that I read this thread yesterday. We headed out to Saffron Walden last night to visit a turkish restaurant that usually serves us a good vegan meal...it had closed down :-( We then decided to try the pizza restaurant that can usually provide a cheeseless pizza for us...fully booked.

We wondered around with hungry tummies, until I remembered this thread and said hey, there's a Wetherspoons, they do a curry thats suitable for us! We were well impressed! The curries were excellent and at £5.99 a shot, good value. They came with a huge pile of poppadoms and 2 tubs of chutney each. Washed down with a pint of Westons cider, I left the pub in a very good mood!

It's great that we've now got somewhere that we can visit with omni friends, and they can see that it's no hassle at all being vegan. So often I get asked "but it must be so difficult for you to eat out", now I can say that even Wetherspoons caters for us!

BlackCats
Nov 1st, 2008, 01:06 PM
I went to my local Wetherspoon's yesterday and they didn't have the vegan curry available and when I asked for something else they didn't have it either. Absolutely f*cking useless. Lol.:mad::D

I will try their vegan curry one day I hope.....

bradders
Nov 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM
the big chains:
JD Wetherspoon
Punch Taverns (owns spirit group and others)
Lorell (owns Yates's)

to be honest when I'm in central I'll drink in one place and we'll eat somewhere else and then go back for drink, I may briefly split to get food separately if need be.
(thanks to bry and co for introducing me to glasshouse and vitaorganic)

Risker
Nov 27th, 2008, 03:54 PM
We're in wetherspoons now, just got their curry club meal, 2 curries, basmati rice, onion bhajis, vegetable samosas, bombay potatoes, poppadums, mango chutney (extra samosas instead of naan bread) and 2 pint of coors light - £14

Shame they gave us lamb samosas instead of vegetable ones, I swallowed it too.

Still, we got a full refund and are getting a new meal for free.

EDIT: we also got another 2 pints free, but I did eat lamb, so not so good.

Buddha Belly
Nov 27th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Coors aint vegan either. Sorry:o

Risker
Nov 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM
^ I hope it is, this website says yes - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/geraint.bevan/Vegetarian_beers.html#Coors

I'll ask.

Buddha Belly
Nov 27th, 2008, 09:29 PM
The last thing i read about beers said Coors was not vegan, but as we all know they change everyday, so sorry if it is not now.

Risker
Nov 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM
TBH after eating lamb it wouldn't phase me much if it wasn't.

Gorilla
Nov 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM
sorry that happened to you Risker, i've been totally put off eating samosas from non-veggie places since an Indian restaurant accidentally gave me a meat one, and i bit into it before realising. hopefully Wetherspoons will make sure it doesn't happen again.

bradders
Nov 28th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I usually break a piece off them now for this reason

Gorilla
Nov 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
i did that for a while, but it's so easy for them to make this kind of mistake, and if they have to take the meat one back they're only going to throw it away which is almost as bad as if i'd eaten a piece IMO! :down:

Risker
Nov 28th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Is it really almost as bad? I'd be much much happier if I hadn't eaten any but realised it was meat beforehand.

We decided to do the same thing as bradders after realising what had happened, (breaking a bit off to check), even though it happened I'd still eat there again, the manager gave me confidence that it wouldn't happen again.

emzy1985
Nov 28th, 2008, 12:22 PM
I find alot of places do that with spring rolls aswel. :( Like Bradders I often break a peice off, have a look and have a smell just to make sure.

Gorilla
Nov 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Is it really almost as bad? I'd be much much happier if I hadn't eaten any but realised it was meat beforehand.

obviously i'd be happier if i'd realised first too, but if the meat's only going to get thrown away then that's just a waste of the animal and more meat samosas have to be made to replace them. i'd rather they didn't serve them up to me in the first place.

bradders
Nov 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
It is one of those things though that once it has happened and has been dealt with it can ensure good practice in the future (like uni where there are now daily and very popular they are too vegan options)

emzy1985
Nov 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Kicking up a fuss in those situations might not be fun, but will definately lead to improvements. I always kick up a fuss if shit ain't right.

bradders
Nov 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
if it was a case of realising before biting there would be a half decent chance that the 'chef' would eat them when sent back.
Chef = microwave and high temperature viscose fluid operations technician

bradders
Nov 28th, 2008, 12:37 PM
fuss kicking and fear of god into people type situations can be so much fun.

Gorilla
Nov 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
if it was a case of realising before biting there would be a half decent chance that the 'chef' would eat them when sent back.
Chef = microwave and high temperature viscose fluid operations technician

possibly, although in a place like Wetherspoons i'm not sure the staff would be allowed to eat incorrectly served food.

Risker
Nov 28th, 2008, 12:47 PM
They would, I worked there. (many years ago but I'm sure it hasn't changed).

There was definate fear of god in the manager when he realised what had happend.

Me: "Excuse me, is this lamb?"
Manager: "Yes"
Me: "We're vegans"
Manager: (oh shit!)

emzy1985
Nov 28th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Haha! Yeah they fear law suits and shit these days more than anything.