PDA

View Full Version : J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18

Frosty
Dec 9th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I had the Wetherspoons veg curry last week and was rather impressed. Despite the barman telling me it was best I had the naan with it instead of extra poppadums. Silly boy.

Edit to say: They had Westons on offer for £1.50 as well, so I had a grand night! Good ol' Wetherspoons :)

alisont
Dec 9th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I had the vegan curry last night rather yummy, my 2 friends ( 1 veggie and 1 omi) had the same and loved it - the member of staff who served me said her sister was vegan and has suggested I get all my vegan friends to email the head office to ask for the curry to go onto the 2 for £6.69 deal as there is nowt for vegans on there.

vorpal
Dec 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I went to the William Henry in Weymouth this afternoon with my dad. Had the vegan curry and some Westons cider and was very happy indeed :) The curry was quite rich and coconutty but I really like it that way. My dad seemed quite impressed that they had something for me too.

Ever so much better than the last time I went there with friends where I had to go through the menu asking about the suitability for vegans of all the veggie meals and they had to get the manager to come and talk to me. Ordered a baked potato with beans (sigh) but they came back and told me they had ran out of potatoes! Then ordered sides of chips and salad and side vegetables but had to send the salad back as it came out with the dressing on even though I made clear at the till I didn't want any of that rubbish on it. The whole ordeal just made me feel like a right pain in the arse haha.

I shall certainly be writing to them to tell them how much I like their vegan curry :) and will include a suggestion to add it to the 2 for 1 menu.

Declan
Dec 19th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I had the curry today too, and I hadn't read about it before so finding the word "vegan" on the menu made me quite excited :) I liked it although as others have said, more curry with it would be good because it's not exactly hugely filling. I'll be emailing them over the next couple of days :)

treaclemine
Dec 23rd, 2008, 01:14 PM
Does anyone fancy forwarding their comments about the new vegan curry at Wetherspoon's to the Editor of The Vegan magazine for consideration for publication?

The new Wetherspoon's curry was mentioned in the Editorial of the Winter 2008 issue. A little bird tells me that 'vegan feedback' for the Spring 2009 letter column of The Vegan would be appreciated. It's

editor at vegansociety dot com

and no guarantees your email will be published, but all messages will be read!

ASAP would be good as the copy deadline was apparently last Friday!

treaclemine
Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
I finally had it! In the Wetherspoon's in Solihull whilst we were visiting, The White Swan.

I was very pleased. I think it's a cut above the usual pub curry in quality and value for money. Yes, you can get better vegan curry (in veg*n curry houses) and better value for money (in veg*n cafes?), but in context: impressive.

I will be recommending it generally - not just to vegans!

It would definitely be great to get it included in the meal deals, though.

Gorilla
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:54 AM
i tried the curry on Saturday. it tastes good but it's much too spicy for me, my mouth was burning by the time i finished and it was a bit of a struggle to eat it all. admittedly i'm a wuss with spicy food but it's a shame they don't have anything else. i'll have to smuggle in a tub of Alpro yogurt if i want to eat it again. ;)

Zero
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM
The curry was pretty good indeed, luckily I didn't find it too spicy though :p too many years eating vindaloo and madras in Birmingham I guess.

It was funny when I ordered it though and the lady said with a disheartened look "oh, but we don't have any naan bread so we are doing extra poppadoms instead". She looked surprised when I said "Well thats exactly what we want so no problem".

That was also good because it meant less chance of them bringing it out wrong :)

Risker
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM
They've introduced 5 new meals today at £2.99 each, one of which is spicy tomato pasta and with any luck will be vegan. They haven't added it to their nutritional info pages yet so can't check. Combine that with 99p bottles of San Miguel (is that vegan?) and you've got a nice meal and a couple of drinks for £5.

Gorilla
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM
that will be good if the pasta dish is vegan. i'm not sure about San Miguel but i think it's ok.

alisont
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:54 PM
They've introduced 5 new meals today at £2.99 each, one of which is spicy tomato pasta and with any luck will be vegan. They haven't added it to their nutritional info pages yet so can't check. Combine that with 99p bottles of San Miguel (is that vegan?) and you've got a nice meal and a couple of drinks for £5.

Fingers crossed Its vegan, nice and cheap that:) just need the curry to be added to the 2 for £6.69 deal and Its getting good there!

BlackCats
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:42 PM
That is good news if the pasta is vegan. :) I still haven't tried the new curry yet.:rolleyes:

KayJay
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I looked on their website and unfortunately the pasta is not vegan. I also noticed they've got a new roast option - Portobello mushroom, chickpea & pumpkin seed roast, which is not vegan either! Surely both of the above could be easily made vegan. Boo hiss!

Buddha Belly
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:46 PM
WHAT! Do they cook it in bacon fat?????? Why the rubbery f**k is that not vegan? They must have a back room team looking at how to make things fit for omnis only.

Zero
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:47 PM
It just seems to come down to what they can get cheapest from their suppliers generally, and it usually ends up being animal product laden stuff unfortunately :(

At least there's the curry though.

Buddha Belly
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Our local one gave out vouchers for two curries for £7.49. We will use them this weekend. Is the Greene King IPA vegan

KayJay
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:11 PM
WHAT! Do they cook it in bacon fat?????? Why the rubbery f**k is that not vegan? They must have a back room team looking at how to make things fit for omnis only.

Am guessing that it's egg pasta & the roast is bound with egg, neither of which are necessary. Rubbish aint it! :dizzy:

bradders
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
wetherspoons need to get their thinking caps on, if they catered for us bunch of alcies we'd be there all the time spending a wad

KayJay
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:28 PM
wetherspoons need to get their thinking caps on, if they catered for us bunch of alcies we'd be there all the time spending a wad

So true, these days I just run in to neck a few glasses of wine, then I'm off to get a decent fresh curry or Thai for the same price as their microwaved version :D

Risker
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I looked on their website and unfortunately the pasta is not vegan.

Where does it say that? It's still not listed on the nutritional info pages.

If their nutritional info about the nut roast is correct it contains both egg and milk.

KayJay
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Where does it say that? It's still not listed on the nutritional info pages.

If their nutritional info about the nut roast is correct it contains both egg and milk.

On the website I did a search under the vegan diet options & it's not listed. If it's new I guess that it may not be listed yet, but the spirale pasta isn't vegan - may be worth an email?

Risker
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Yeah, it's just not been added yet since it doesn't even come up if you select vegetarian (which it's marked as) so there's still hope left.

I emailed them yesterday but no response yet.

KayJay
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:50 PM
My apologies yes there is a spicy tomato pasta - I just looked again and it's an option on their "new deal" menu. Fingers crossed then Risker, let us know when you get a reply :o)

Zero
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM
It probably won't be egg pasta, durum wheat pasta is much cheaper so since they are selling it for £2.99 I would imagine it will be the cheapest pasta around. It is the sauce I would worry about, hopefully it won't contain milk.

Hope you get a good response Risker :)

helen105281
Jan 10th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Buddha Belly and I went to the Wetherspoons in Letchworth today as we had a voucher for BOGOF on the curry. We ordered with extra poppadoms and after a while they came over and told us there were no poppadoms and so we said we would have extra rice instead. When the curry came first of all I had naan on my plate and then we noticed that it was chicken curry (luckily we noticed before we started to eat). They then told us that the currys were actually someone elses which we did not believe as they came with the extra rice we asked for. They then offered us a lamb samosa instead of the poppadoms even after we had said why we did not want to eat the chicken curry!!! In the end our curries came with free onion bajis but were still on the same plate as mine still had a mark on it from the Naan and Ross had some of the sauce from the chicken curry under his bowl of vegan curry!!!! We have made a complaint. :mad: Curry was nice though.