PDA

View Full Version : J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18

jimmeh
Jan 10th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I've had the curry about four times now. Twice I was told that they couldn't substitute extra poppadums for the naan because of "stock control" - even though it states to ask them for the substitution on the menu. When I pointed this out, on one occasion my curry still arrived with naan and no extra poppadums. However, I have emailed them to say thanks for adding a vegan option, most importantly for stating that it's vegan on the menu. It's a welcome and important step forward for a chain pub

Buddha Belly
Jan 10th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I've had the curry about four times now. Twice I was told that they couldn't substitute extra poppadums for the naan because of "stock control" - even though it states to ask them for the substitution on the menu. When I pointed this out, on one occasion my curry still arrived with naan and no extra poppadums. However, I have emailed them to say thanks for adding a vegan option, most importantly for stating that it's vegan on the menu. It's a welcome and important step forward for a chain pub

Despite my moans that is a really good point you raise i will send an e-mail tomorrow sort of saying the same.

Topcat
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:21 AM
We've just had a Wetherspoons open up near us, never been in one before always thought they were like those Steak house places, never realised they were pubs (i dont get out a lot). Not eaten out for more than 15 years, oh i tell a lie, at music festivals the veggie stalls but thats it.

Risker
Jan 15th, 2009, 12:26 AM
This was in the letters page of the Wetherspoons magazine last time we went in;

Say cheese? We're not smiling

Dear Editor
A friend and I were dissappointed that your veggie burger is no longer suitable for vegans and that, now, the only vegan meal on your menu is a curry - which we were unable to have on a recent visit, as it had run out.
I'd like to know why your veggie burger contains cheese.
Yours sincerely
Miss Hunt, Hampshire

Editor Replies: We set great store by testing the vegetarian burger. The members of our taste panels all felt that the cheese added taste and texture. We appreciate that this doesn't help you with the vegan option, but we will have a look at that for you, for future menu offerings.

Daffodil
Jan 15th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Well the night I went there to try their new curry they didn't have any! and also they'd run out of Heineken beer!! So I had to have onion rings which were awful - I don't think they'd been near an onion in their life! i shan't be eating there ever again!
I was so pleased they'd put a vegan meal on their menu too! shame.

jimmeh
Jan 15th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Well, I suppose they're trying :undecided:.

Did anyone get a reply re whether the £2.99 pasta is vegan??

Enchantress
Jan 15th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Well the night I went there to try their new curry they didn't have any! and also they'd run out of Heineken beer!! So I had to have onion rings which were awful - I don't think they'd been near an onion in their life! i shan't be eating there ever again!
I was so pleased they'd put a vegan meal on their menu too! shame.
The onion rings at Wetherspoons aren't vegan.

Gorilla
Jan 15th, 2009, 03:00 PM

i had a vague feeling they were vegan (not that i've eaten them in years) but you're right, Enchantress. not that i didn't believe you but i had a quick check of their website again; does anyone else find that on the Nutritional Info page, if you only click 'vegan' it doesn't work and says 'Please select at least one item from the list', you have to click both 'vegetarian' and 'vegan' :confused:

it seems the tomato soup is vegan if you have it without bread, i'd been wondering about that (i see it had been posted before but i couldn't remember). as i'm a wuss with the curry i think i might have soup and chips next time i find myself in a Wetherspoons ;)

Risker
Jan 15th, 2009, 03:07 PM
does anyone else find that on the Nutritional Info page, if you only click 'vegan' it doesn't work and says 'Please select at least one item from the list', you have to click both 'vegetarian' and 'vegan' :confused:

Once you've ticked the vegan box you have to give it a second for the page to reload before you click the search button.

tigerbabe
Jan 15th, 2009, 11:26 PM

No they haven't been for a long time. I believe they come up in the seafood section on the website :eek:

Risker
Jan 16th, 2009, 12:22 AM
They're vegetarian, they contain milk though.

Ames
Jan 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Eating out at places like Wetherspoons scares me . . . I get the feeling they are not entirely truthful kwim? It's all in the profit!

jackie
Jan 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM

OMG why not??? what 's in them that I've eaten???? :confused:

EDIT: Ok, just seen a later post about the milk....UGH!!

tigerbabe
Jan 16th, 2009, 10:58 PM
They're vegetarian, they contain milk though.

Oh right, it's a while since I've checked. I had them about a year or so ago because they'd been on the vegan list last time I checked.... I had a look on the website a couple of days later and they were coming up in the seafood section

BlackCats
Jan 19th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hurray! I tried the new vegan curry today. It was very nice I thought, the girl gave me about 8 poppadums with the meal and I felt quite full up after.:)

Gorilla
Jan 20th, 2009, 02:59 PM
am i really the only person who thinks it's too spicy? :o

BlackCats
Jan 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM

It seems that way.:p I thought it was very mild actually but then I like jalapeno chillies and so I have probably deadened my tastebuds with them. I had some Weston's cider with my curry but I didn't really like that. It's quite sour.:(

Gorilla
Jan 20th, 2009, 03:20 PM
i love Weston's cider!

seems i really am a wuss with chilli. :(

tigerbabe
Jan 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM

No, it was a bit spicy for me too ;)

Buddha Belly
Jan 20th, 2009, 08:52 PM
It's just right for me. I hate anything spicier.

Zero
Jan 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
seems i really am a wuss with chilli. :(

Awww, it's okay babe, we will keep some soy yogurt on standby for next time :D

Gorilla
Jan 21st, 2009, 11:52 AM
No, it was a bit spicy for me too ;)

hooray, it's not just me! :p

Awww, it's okay babe, we will keep some soy yogurt on standby for next time :D

haha, i think i'd rather just have a plate of chips though - the curry's expensive enough as it is without buying a tub of yogurt as well! ;)

Rebbecca
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I find the curry quite plain myself. But I am really glad that Spoons have taken this important step forward.

d0od
Jan 26th, 2009, 01:40 PM
From reading the thread it certainly sounds like a pretty sweet introduction. It'd have been easy for JDW to introduce a non-vegan curry as there are tons of veggie ones.

I'm not a mahoosive curry lover, but if i get trapped in a JDW i may give it a try - especially since their burgers are now cheese filled. Yuck!

How much are their curries normally? I'd hate to know Vegans are being ripped off...

Zero
Jan 26th, 2009, 09:23 PM
It's £5.99 according to the current online menu (http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/resource/documents/food-and-drink/jdw-food-menu-Autumn-2008%20(prices%20vary%20depending%20on%20pub%20vis ited).pdf)