PDA

View Full Version : J D Wetherspoon Pubs

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Gorilla
Oct 10th, 2004, 09:58 AM
you may have seen these pubs all over the UK, they're buying up a lot of old pubs and making them part of the Wetherspoon chain. the booze is cheap which is always a good thing ;)

they also serve food in most of their pubs, and nothing on the menu is marked as suitable for vegans. but i checked out their website and apparently their vegetable Wetherburger is vegan. that's the only main meal, the only other things that are ok are the bowl of chips, side salad without dressing and potato wedges minus the sour cream. they do a curry night on Thursdays, but the veggie curry isn't vegan, although apparently the poppadums and mango chutney are ok :rolleyes:

i have emailed them to ask if they could mark on their menu that the veggie burger is vegan and if they'd consider making another of their veggie meals vegan as well. in the meantime though if you're out somewhere and stuck for food but stumble across a Wetherspoons it should be OK to have the burger. :D

their website is www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk , click on food and then check out the food facts - additional info section. there is a feedback section to fill in if you want them to make more vegan meals! :cool:

Kevster
Oct 10th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Ah weatherspoons i e-mailed them a while ago to tell them to get some decent vegan bottled ales in, as most (or all?) from the tap aren't vegan,

K

I guess they're still 'thinking' about it

Gorilla
Oct 10th, 2004, 07:27 PM
well yes the draught ales may not be the best for vegans but being a Becks drinker myself i'm sorted ;)

Gorilla
Oct 26th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Wetherspoons haven't replied to my email. i guess they don't take their vegan customers too seriously. looks like i'll have to try writing again, and if anybody else wants to get on their case too (in a polite way of course!) that'd be helpful!!! :)

snaffler
Oct 26th, 2004, 02:24 PM
:p Becks & Holstein Pils you can't go to wrong most places sale them.
Some places sale Badge Beer which is vegan as it IPA (Indian Pale Ale)

Tofu Monster
Oct 27th, 2004, 03:49 AM
cheers gorilla. there are two wetherspoons near me. i don't actually like going to pubs, but any ideas for eating out are always useful. :)

PeteNorth
Nov 1st, 2004, 05:58 PM
thanks Gorilla, that's useful. Wish i'd thought of using that signature myself too - might have to borrow 'Sugar rots your teeth and gives you brain damage'.

Kevster
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I guess every country has its day, but perhaps avoid JD Wetherspoons:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/offers/australia_day/

Cloudy
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Hmm nice one, not had a veggie burger for ages, might give it a go. We have one here but I never go in usually due to the types you get in there ;)

Gorilla
Jan 18th, 2005, 02:53 PM
thanks for the link Kev, i know Wetherspoons probably aren't the best places to eat anyway being a large chain and all, just something to bear in mind. ;)

Cloudy i know what you mean, some Wetherspoons are a bit dodgy but round here they're mostly full of old men spending all day drinking half a pint of mild, LOL

Kevster
Jan 18th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Moi, set foot in a Wetherspoons?!?!?!

Gorilla
Jan 18th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Also, Wetherspoon's vegeburger, fries and onion rings are vegan.
i knew about their veggie burger but i didn't know their onion rings are vegan. i just had a look at their vegan list on their website and it seems a bit bigger than it used to be :) the last time i tried to eat in a Wetherspoon pub though, they'd run out of veggie burgers and said all they could offer me was a plate of chips :rolleyes:

RedWellies
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:14 PM
According to Wetherspoons' web-site, the burger,fries and onion rings (as well as a few side dishes from their "curry club") are vegan, but as there seems to be some dispute, I will call them tomorrow to double check.

Mr Flibble
Jan 19th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Also, Wetherspoon's vegeburger, fries and onion rings are vegan.

It's a fairly recent thing (last few months) and some outlets will still have old stock. My main concern is that having known people who've worked for wetherspoons, the standard of their culinary skills are not much higher than mcdonalds. Just because the food comes from the wholesalers vegan, I'm not confident it still is by the time it reaches the customer. For example, i doubt they keep a deep frier only for vegan products. They may have one for vegetarian products only, but that means they're still cooking things with milk and eggs in. I've yet to take the risk.

Gorilla
Jan 19th, 2006, 11:44 AM
well, Wetherspoons isn't exactly the height of culinary good taste is it ;) it's cheap and cheerful, so i wouldn't expect it to be particularly stringent on vegan standards

the chilli is listed on the menu as containing Quorn btw

RedWellies
Jan 19th, 2006, 12:30 PM
I spoke to Wetherspoons' head office and am waiting to hear back from them. In the meantime, I called my local branch and their list said the burger DID contain egg. I'm not sure which listing is correct, so probably best to avoid eating there at all...after all, if one thing is wrong, how many others could be?

Mr. Flibble, I take your point about the cooking methods. The best thing is to ask the individual establishments I guess.

Gorilla
Jan 19th, 2006, 12:40 PM
i won't be eating in Wetherspoons anymore either, as they don't seem too concerned about vegan customers.

Pob
Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
We stopped eating at Wetherspoons when I was an omni - something always went wrong:

Had to wait over an hour and a half for a meal once - they forgot our meal 3 times - despite 2 of those reminders being to the manager. By the time it came we were full on beer, so ate a couple of forkfulls and left (we got our money back).

Discovered something blue in a burger (melted plaster?). Refund for everyone on that one.

On top of that you generally have one or other of the following to contend with: cold food, nuked food, what you want isn't available, etc.

Price and choice of real ale is about the only good thing about Wetherspoons - but since most draft real ales aren't vegan it isn't much of a draw to me anymore.

tabitha
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:20 AM
We are going out to lunch at our local Witherspoons pub. I will of course ask when I get there, but I read somewhere that they were making their veggieburger completely vegan. Has anyone else heard this. Otherwise there will be jackshite to eat and I may as well have a big breakfast!! You cant order anything separate cos its all pre prepared somewhere else. and before you ask its not me that wants to go there its all the meat eaters cos its cheap.

RedWellies
Mar 19th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Tabi, The burgers, chips and onion rings are confirmed as being vegan. There was some confusion due to incorrect lists at the pubs but head office has confirmed that their website is correct and the above mentioned foods are vegan. Enjoy!

Frank
Mar 19th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Hi,

Please note that their head office do make mistakes.

BVV had their second birthday party there and I organised the menu based on what was on their website. I also questioned their head office with various food including the burgers before the event. This went to their supplier who confirmed everything was in order.

On the night we found out that the bun with the burger WAS NOT vegan and God bless a member of their staff for going out to Tesco's to get some vegan bread.

He was a vegetarian whose girlfriend was vegan. If he was not on that evening then up to 22 people would have been upset when they found out.

I have contacted Witherspoons over this and I am still awaiting thier reply...

In the meantime - have the burger without the bun. Their samosas and onion bhajis are vegan too as was one of their curry's.

If they bring something new out and state it's vegan you can always ask to see the ingredients on the packaging before you buy.

It is nice that they are making an effort and its nice to eat in a non smoking pub too.

Frank.

sugarmouse
Mar 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I agree abotu the customer service nt being the best...but then it is so cheap i guess they skimp on staff training and understaff!
their head office make mistakes re.what is gluten free as well i had to email them to ask for a coleiac friend once and they replied with confirmation, then replied again with an apology and stating that after 'double checking' they had found that the said product wasnt wheat free.sorry i cannnot remember what it was now.overall i think you get what you pay for in terms of food/drink and service, i always remember goin there when i was at university and havin to wait ages at the bar!but also i found it a good place togo when by yourself and wantin to read/study.the pubs are usualy big and you wil be left alone..i agree abotu the clientelle being 'amusing'..for want of a better word!Lol

tabitha
Mar 19th, 2006, 05:42 PM
The bun was inedible anyway - over microwaved. I sulked and didnt eat much of anything. It took 1 hour to come out and it was all crap.:mad:

VeganJohn
Mar 19th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I can't abide eating in pubs due to the fact that there is smoking. Most Weatherspoon's seem to be full of dirty old drunks anyhow lol!!

RedWellies
Mar 19th, 2006, 05:59 PM
. Most Weatherspoon's seem to be full of dirty old drunks anyhow lol!!
Don't call Tabi that you rude boy!!!:eek: