PDA

View Full Version : Sheese

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

emmapresley
Mar 20th, 2007, 04:46 PM
I recently tried the smoked cheddar and gouda Sheeses. I loved the smoked cheddar, but stay away (far away) from the gouda. Not so gooda.

ha ha. i saw what you did there ;)

Gorilla
Mar 20th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I actually quite like Cheezly now and then but I wouldn't recommend eating it on its own, because the fact that it's not really all that cheese-like is rather noticeable then. It's better with something, or in cooking, I think.

I don't think of these things as being direct substitutes, just things with similar tastes and qualities that can be used in similar circumstances.

i have to agree with both of these points. :)

Toast with mashed avocado and then melted Cheezly on top is quite pleasant, esp with a sprinkle of Tabasco.

Cheezly isn't fantastic on pizza, but it's great stuffed into the crust with sundried tomatoes.

ooh two great ideas there :D never made my own pizza dough though, can't imagine i'd be very good at it :rolleyes: ;)

Yogini
Mar 20th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I don't think of these things as being direct substitutes, just things with similar tastes and qualities that can be used in similar circumstances.

I think of most analogues in those terms. I have never encountered a vegan version of an omni food that tasted identical. I hope I don't ruffle feathers here (ha!), but that's why our omni relatives get pissed when we serve tofurkey for thanksgiving. Because it doesn't taste like tukey and that's what they were expecting. We'd be better off to serve something that's tasty without trying to mimic a traditional omni food. Stuff like Sheese and Cheezly has it's place in a vegan meal, but at this point in time, there's just no pretending that they actually taste like cheese or chicken nuggets, or turkey.

Tigerlily
Mar 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I bought the mild cheddar. I hope it tastes good! My mom would freak if she knew how much I payed for it. :o

Christina
Mar 20th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I didn't use the sheese in the end for the toastie, I have no idea what im going to use it for!!! What do you all use it for?

Jannan
Mar 20th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Mmm... I'm having Sheese pizza tonight. :)

sprite1986
Mar 21st, 2007, 02:28 PM
It's been a while since you had cow pus cheese I take it?
Blue Cheese Scheese just tastes like sick to my palette but your mileage might vary..
Cheezly is repulsive (and sweet..wtf).

Riiiiight, I am well and truly put off it now. :(

Orange-powered
Mar 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM
well, I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually like scheese...at least the cheddar flavour anyway, which is the main one I've tried....ok so its not exactly like cheese, but its similar enough. I also like cheezly too...I dont buy either very often because I get really unhealthy with things like that and eat it all really quickly...usually in something, not on its own, but I can do that too. I'm disgusting :p

Yogini
Mar 21st, 2007, 07:18 PM
I didn't use the sheese in the end for the toastie, I have no idea what im going to use it for!!! What do you all use it for?

The good ones, like the cheddars, I just eat out of the package. The not so good ones (like gouda) I use up bit by bit in cheese sauces to pour over pasta.

Tigerlily
Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:59 PM
I tried Sheese today! I had the medium cheddar flavour.

I ate it with a savoury scone. I ate it "raw" and warmed in the microwave (not quit melted but turned into a cheese spread).

The texture was nice. I like how it crumbled, like real hard dairy cheeses. I liked how it wasn't rubbery or chewy. The feel in my mouth was very similar to a crumbly hard cheese.

The smell was strongly cheesy. It smelled like an artificial cheese spread product, which is good for me because I liked those things.

It tasted like a cheese spread (Cheese Whiz and Kraft cheddar slices mixed into one). I quite liked it. I wouldn't use Sheese to replace cheese for dairy-eaters because they will know the difference. But if you're a vegan who hasn't had any dairy cheese in at least a year, it should be satisfactory.

Over all I liked this product but I need more taste tests. :p I will try it "melted" into macaroni and I will try it on top of nachos. It definitely hits the spot for a cheesy craving but it is not a direct substitute.

Marrers
Apr 3rd, 2007, 12:55 AM
I made an aubergine and sweet potato bake with tomato sauce and grated cheddar Scheese on top. It was really nice, esp where it mixed in with the tomato sauce. I'd have it again!

Ara
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:03 PM
I looooove scheese, i generally have a scheese and salad sarnie most days for lunch.

Tigerlily
Apr 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM
I love my Sheese. I can't believe people hate it. It's so delicious!

Jannan
Apr 10th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Mmm... Sheese and crackers... :)

Frosty
Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
I bought some mozzarella from Beanfreaks in Cardiff this week for the first time, I rather liked it :) I was a tad sceptical at first - a lot of people I have spoken to have said that dairy-free cheese is quite horrible and one of the things that you can't really replace when moving from veggie to vegan. But I'd definately recommend it. Can't wait to head back and try some more of their varieties. From what I've read here, the smoked might be my next.

harpy
Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:37 AM
I eventually got some of the smoked Sheese and thought it was a considerable improvement on the old Scheese. I still prefer Cheezly but I might try some of the other Sheese flavours when the opportunity arises.

I also bought some cream-cheese style Sheese :eek: but ended up throwing most of it away.

JustMe
Jun 4th, 2007, 09:44 AM
We bought some Scheese a few years ago and didn't like it at all... even the dogs turned their noses up at it!

If we're in the mood for "cheese" then it's Tofutti's Creamy Smooth Original on a jacket/baked potato or the Garlic & Herbs one on crispbread or some Redwood's Cheezly Mozzarella grated over a cauliflower and broccoli bake.

eco
Jun 4th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Blue Cheese Scheese just tastes like sick to my palette but your mileage might vary..
Cheezly is repulsive (and sweet..wtf).
With the exception of a vegan soft cheese that sadly no longer exists, which I think was made by a company called Kalo, all vegan cheese tastes like sick to me. I've tried almost everyone on the market in the hope of finding something that I like, but so far, no luck. They're obviously pretty popular as they seem to sell quite well and Scheese has been around for years but I really can't acquire the taste for them.

harpy
Jun 4th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Yes, I used to like the Kallo one as well - Fromsoya?

I don't like to buy the Tofutti "cream cheese" because of the hydrogenated oil, but I think in the US they may have a non-hydrogenated version so no doubt that will come our way eventually. There was supposed to be one made by the same people as Swedish Glace but I never managed to find that.

Anyway, as has been pointed out, it's not essential.

JustMe
Jun 4th, 2007, 10:30 AM
I don't buy the Tofutti stuff very often... at £2.49 a tub it's not something I put in the shopping basket every week. To us, Tofutti Original tastes much like Philly and the Garlic & Herbs like a tamer version of Boursin.

It's all down to individual taste. As my dad used to say, "If we all liked everything then there wouldn't be enough to go around".

Marrers
Jun 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM
. . . Scheese has been around for years but I really can't acquire the taste for them.
Scheese has recently been reformulated (in UK) - I used to hate it but now I quite like it. Although it is quite similar to Cheezly so I suppose if you don't like that you still won't be impressed!

eco
Jun 4th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Yes, I used to like the Kallo one as well - Fromsoya?
Aye, that's the one. My favourite was dill flavoured. I think Kallo still exists (?) but I haven't seen the soft cheese for years.

I've tried the new Scheese Marrers, both the hard and soft versions and still don't like them. They looked quite promising too :(

Gorilla
Jun 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM
i tried the new Sheese and didn't like it either. i didn't think it was similar to Cheezly, which i like.

coconut
Jun 8th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I bought a tub of Sheese the other day and I think I prefer Tofutti. The two have a very similar taste but Sheese is a bit too salty for me.

Gorilla
Jun 12th, 2007, 05:09 PM
i had a free sample of Sheese at the Bristol vegan fayre. it was horrible. i wouldn't even eat it for free. :p