PDA

View Full Version : Sheese

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9

Essie
Dec 22nd, 2007, 05:14 PM
hello everyone this is my first post!!

could i get any feedback on Cheezly? they sell it in my local market along with another brand that i only wish i could forget... it left me all scared of knockout cheeses.

thank you!!!

sponge
Dec 27th, 2007, 09:31 PM
hello everyone this is my first post!!

could i get any feedback on Cheezly? they sell it in my local market along with another brand that i only wish i could forget... it left me all scared of knockout cheeses.

thank you!!!

I'm interested in how this tastes too. I've heard only good things about it. I don't think it's available where I live, but I was wondering if there was any good fake cheese out there. So far, I haven't found one.

harpy
Dec 28th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I expect you'll both have read back through the earlier messages and seen that opinion is, er, divided on Cheezly and other fake cheeses as well. Some of us hate Cheezly but love Sheese, some of us are the opposite way round, some of us hate all fake cheese and some of us like most of it.

I personally think Cheezly is the best of the ones I've tried but it's not something I would want to eat every day. I also think it's better in cooking (i.e. where something else provides most of the flavour) than eaten on its own.

Will be interested to hear what you both think. (I believe Cheezly is now available in the US from one of the vegan mail order/web companies - yes, here http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/cheezly-vegan-cheese-alternative-by-redwood-foods.htm)

ETA some people prefer the home-made pseudo cheeses such as those in The Uncheese Cookbook. You'll find threads here about those as well - just search on "uncheese".

sponge
Dec 28th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Thanks harpy. Yes, I did go back and find the other threads. I probably should have done that first. Always looking for the easy way. :o

drumsgemma83
Dec 28th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I've heard that Tofutti is good...anyone out there tried it? Had this cream cheese stuff that was a bit wallpaper paste like (always think its funny when we say that..anyone ever tried wallpaper paste?) x

sponge
Dec 29th, 2007, 03:20 AM
I love tofutti!

Zero
Jan 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
To me any vegan cheese only gives a cheese flavor when put it on something, a pizza, a burger, a cracker etc.
I have always found it just tastes wierd on its own.

I think Sheese is the best one I've tried, especially for variety, I always liked the mozzarella Cheesly though.

Tibetan Snake
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I've heard that Tofutti is good...anyone out there tried it? Had this cream cheese stuff that was a bit wallpaper paste like (always think its funny when we say that..anyone ever tried wallpaper paste?) x

yes.:eek:

drumsgemma83
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I bought some cheezly today (cheddar and mozzerella) and found that on its own it was indeed a little wierd, quite salty tasting. But on a burger it was fine. Would like to try sheese but haven't found a reliable source for it yet. My local healthfood shop only sells tofutti and cheezly. What cooking do you put it in? Is it worth puting it into a cheese sauce?

JC
Jan 7th, 2008, 12:53 AM
i'm really not a fan of sheese. i think it tastes too strong. i thought it sounded really good at first, but i'm much more of a cheezly and tufutti person :)

horselesspaul
Jan 7th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I bought some cheezly today (cheddar and mozzerella) and found that on its own it was indeed a little wierd, quite salty tasting. But on a burger it was fine. Would like to try sheese but haven't found a reliable source for it yet. My local healthfood shop only sells tofutti and cheezly. What cooking do you put it in? Is it worth puting it into a cheese sauce?
You can make a brilliant sauce that tastes like sick* with the "Blue Cheese" Scheese (Gesundheit!).
If you like.
I don't really like Cheezly, it's sweet. BassPixie swears by it.
Tofutti stuff is nice.

*Which is apparently what blue cheese sauce tastes like..iirc.

Redveg993
May 3rd, 2008, 02:57 AM
I think the essential point is with vegan (?)substitutes for 'omni' foods, "Do I like this item on its own merits, regardless of what it may or may not resemble". I really don't give a flying f@rt if Tofurkey tastes like turkey or not, I can't remember what dead, partially cremated fowl tastes like any more, and I know I will never eat it again. However, I do like the taste and texture of Tofurkey very much as a vegan food and therefore buy it every Christmas from the one and only British supplier.

Like many other foods of its kind Tofurkey is a bona-fide vegan food based on soya and wheat proteins. Wheat protein is a food of very ancient lineage invented, I understand, by vegetarian monks in Tibet several millennia ago. It is therefore just as authentic and 'natural' as bread, another ancient food made from wheat.

erfoud
May 5th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Ive already tasted the different cheese I brought from New York last month, and I must say I love all of them. I already knew out-of-this-world sheese, I hit paradise everytime I try it on a cracker. The snag, its astronomical price:11$!!
Soy feta, by soy foos, is also great, I take it with salads
And I also got some melting cheese:Vegan rella, which goes fine with my lasagnas and pasta in general.
Finally, the parmesan vegan cheese is also to my liking. All in all, ta a lot NYork, for the pleasurable moments Im having!

Cherry
May 5th, 2008, 08:42 PM
You can make a brilliant sauce that tastes like sick* with the "Blue Cheese" Scheese (Gesundheit!).

*Which is apparently what blue cheese sauce tastes like..iirc.

Sounds delightful :eek: :D

Redveg993
May 10th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Me too. It is the very BEST vegan cheese!

Redveg993
May 10th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Tofutii, that is, not Scheese. Scheese is a bit too strong for my taste, unless I'm making a sauce.

I wonder why my first message has been reproduced 4 times?!!

Risker
Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
After developing an addiction to sheese at the BVF GF and I have been looking for it locally only to find out that my local health food store just stopped selling it because no one bought it :(

I could get some from goodness direct but it's a minimum order of 6 chilled items and if you spend under 50 then there's 9.50 P&P.

Would anyone be willing to post me some that I can paypal you for? I'm sure if it went first class it would survive the journey without needing refridgeration.

alisont
Jun 3rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
I would/will If I can find any - only place I know is the health shop in Worcester where Its about 2.75, maybe less? I reckon it would survive the post if Its a cooler day ,I know the Bute island guys post it out to those who cant get it - they told me that at last years BVF! they have even posted to France!

Ive never used paypal to recieve money - need to reset my password again as ive forgotton it:rolleyes:

What flavours do you like and how many are you after if I see any?

Enchantress
Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Thankoo Alison :D.

We're not really too fussed about what flavour we get, we thought they were all yummy, although I did particularly like the smoked one. We could also send you the payment by cheque or postal order if that would be more convenient for you :).

Flying fairy
Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Risker, they definately sell it at my local health food shop in Gloucester! Im happy to send some to you if you cant get it online!

(My first post, hello everyone!!)

Enchantress
Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Oooh, two offers for Sheese. *Is bowled over by the genorosity of it all*.

(I'm Risker's girlfriend by the way, flying fairy, so that's why I'm replying on his behalf).

alisont
Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Hee Hee can see you getting loads of scheese:D

My faves the medium cheddar, thats really the only one i like.

If Im in Worcester this Sat Il get you some they have the smoked - if you buy 2 of the same product you get 15% off at Rosemary's health store, saves a bit of money....as the postage is a bit steep possibly?

How many would you want (if i dont go this sat be the following one)

I tend to cut them into 4 and freeze portions - it seems to freeze fine.

sandra
Jun 4th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I once tried to order that scheese but they said they wouldn't post it over to Northern Ireland! :(
I can get it now in a health food shop in Belfast but I don't think it would survive being posted over from here, otherwise I could send some too! :)

Risker
Jun 4th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks alisont and flying fairy (and welcome too! such a generous first post!)

I think we'd just want 2 packs, either the cream cheese or the block cheese, we liked them both. If it freezes and defrosts well like you say alisont maybe it would be good to post it when frozen to help it keep in the mail.

I think Enchantress is a bit antsy to get some so the quicker we can get some the better :D PM me an address (either of you) and I'll send you a cheque. Thanks :D

cobweb
Jun 4th, 2008, 10:20 PM
OMG! - really, i threw some out recently it was so icky, wish i'd asked here first!. Sorry guys. Hope you get some soon.