PDA

View Full Version : Sheese

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

alisont
Jun 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Risker still not sure where Il be Sat options being Birmingham, Stratford upon Avon, Worcester or Solihull! All have health shops that should stock at least 1 type of Scheeze, I hope!

The creme type isnt as good out of the fridge the solid ones are better, will get you some Sat if I can and can try freezing 1 to see how it travels best, in case of future sends.

Wont get to post til Mon unless im mega organised and take large envelope and sellotape with me! but then out of fridge over Sun:confused:

If you PM me your address so i know where to send it, you can send me a cheque after ive got it so il know how much it costs, i dont need any money in advance!

Apologies in advance if I dont find any in health shop!

sandra
Jun 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks alisont and flying fairy (and welcome too! such a generous first post!)

I think we'd just want 2 packs, either the cream cheese or the block cheese, we liked them both. If it freezes and defrosts well like you say alisont maybe it would be good to post it when frozen to help it keep in the mail.

I think Enchantress is a bit antsy to get some so the quicker we can get some the better :D PM me an address (either of you) and I'll send you a cheque. Thanks :D

Can I have a cheque too Risker even without the exchange of cheese? :p:D

alisont
Jun 9th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Well a smoked and a medium cheddar scheeze are on their way to Risker and Enchantress now just hope they dont melt!

Laura-Louise
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Hi my name is Laura and I am also a Sheese-aholic! I bought a load at the BVF, and in the brochure they gave me, it said they're now stocking selected Sheese flavours at Sainsbury's stores? Not sure if it meant ALL Sainsbury's but might be worth a look/phone call.

Risker
Jun 10th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Well a smoked and a medium cheddar scheeze are on their way to Risker and Enchantress now just hope they dont melt!

Thanks alisont, they arrived today all intact :)

wildcatstrike
Jun 10th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Hiiiiiiii! my first post too, woo hoo. Aw i feel for you guys not being able to get Sheese locally! Most health food shops i know stock at least 1 or 2 different flavours. Have you tried Holland and Barratt? My local health food shop is quite good at ordering stuff in for me if they don't stock it, like Fry's products etc. It's always worth asking if they can get it in for you.

Get the medium cheddar style though if you can - AWESOME! (to be honest i rarely eat vegan cheese but Sheese is my fave and the medium cheddar one makes fab Sheesey puff pastry pasties! i can give the recipe if anyone wants it - its in the Solihull Animal Aid recipes book vol 3)

Redveg993
Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
This product has a very nasty tangy after-taste and I wasn't slow to tell the manufacturers at their London Vegan Festival Stall so.I think this is because they put too large an amount of vinegar in their recipes.
It's Cheezily EVERY time for me!

I'd agree about that. All Sheese products I've tried so far have been TOO STRONG!! (although I have to say that they make a good vegan cheese sauce). My local supermarket (Sainsbury's) have started stocking the Smoked Cheddar, and as much as I want to encourage them to stock vegan cheese, I really don't like this much at all, apart from the fact that there is too much bloody vinegar in it, I never liked smoked cheese much as an omnivore and a lacto-veggie, so it's not surprising that I'm not bowled over by this product now.

What is the mildest hard cheese made by Bute Island Foods now? Is it the Medium Cheddar.? That might suit me better. There is always the alternative of Redwood Foods Cheezly which I quite like, but somehow it is as if there is something missing in this that I can't quite put my finger on. I have made a couple of 'uncheeses' from Joanne Stepaniak's book which I really liked, but I have to confess I'm too lazy/busy to make these very often.

I can remember the fearsome concoction of Tomor margarine and yeast extract (it was DARK BROWN -eeek!!!!)that passed for vegan cheese in the seventies and eighties, and have to say that the prospect of eating this delayed my permanent transition to veganism for two decades!

Marrers
Jul 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
I can remember the fearsome concoction of Tomor margarine and yeast extract . . . delayed my permanent transition to veganism for two decades!
Lol! :D

I was put off the thought of being veggie for years because of an awful, corrugated cardboard style home made lentil burger I ate at 16! :rolleyes:

Gorilla
Jul 24th, 2008, 10:03 AM
terrible vegan cheese put me off going vegan for quite a while too, until i decided i could live without cheese.

noodle
Aug 15th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Oh I hate this stuff, I wrote a review of it for Goodness Direct but funnily enough they didn't include it on the website. I wrote that it looks like a hockey puck, it actually bounces (we tried), and it tastes like feet. It was so bad I had to spit it into the bin and eat something quickly to get the taste out of my mouth.

And all the while my omni fiancee was laughing at me :D

Thank god I like Redwood melting mozzarella style!

ETA: I was quite the cheese lover as an omni - blue, mature, feta, I loved it all. So maybe that's why I was so insulted by this product!

Redveg993
Aug 15th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Oh I hate this stuff, I wrote a review of it for Goodness Direct but funnily enough they didn't include it on the website. I wrote that it looks like a hockey puck, it actually bounces (we tried), and it tastes like feet. It was so bad I had to spit it into the bin and eat something quickly to get the taste out of my mouth.

And all the while my omni fiancee was laughing at me :D

Thank god I like Redwood melting mozzarella style!

ETA: I was quite the cheese lover as an omni - blue, mature, feta, I loved it all. So maybe that's why I was so insulted by this product!

Redveg993
Aug 15th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Hello Noodle,

That's the first time I knew feet were vegan!! Seriously though, Scheese is pretty awful. It's the vinegar - there's far, far too much of it.

wildcatstrike
Aug 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
No way! Sheese is awesome!!! Hehe, it's funny how people are so split over Cheezly and Sheese though. I've come across so many lovers and haters of both.

I love Sheese though and can't eat Cheezly. And when my cheese eating brother tells me he wants me to make more Sheese pasties i know i'm onto a good thing :D

You've gotta try them for yourself though. So anyone whose not had Sheese before, don't be put off by the haters, you may love it!

harpy
Aug 16th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I'm wondering if there's some strange genetic thing going on here to do with an element that some people can taste and others can't (the same way some cats like catnip and others don't "get" it).

I have a friend who loves Sheese but to me it has a very strange under- or after-taste. (And I certainly don't have a refined palate :D )

Elahiya
Aug 16th, 2008, 09:49 PM
i think it depends on which kind of sheese you have. i donīt like their whole range, but some parts of it, i.e. mexican cheddar style cream sheese, some of the hard ones i like as well.

wildcatstrike
Aug 18th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I used medium cheddar sheese on a pizza last night. Tasted cool! As long as you grate it small-ish and put it under the other toppings it works a treat.

Rakey
Sep 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Is Sheese any better than cheezly (I got the super melting mozarella style and thought it tasted like sick)? I'd love to find a mozarella substitute to made aubergine parmigiana (never had vegan parmesan either).

Are the tofutti mozzarella slices any better?

Stu
Sep 19th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I think Scheese is a LOT worse than Cheezly. But you should give them a try - different people like different things. So just buy them once, then you'll know!

Risker
Sep 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
The slices taste like crap if they're the ones I'm thinking of, but then I think they're meant to be a substitute for the rubbish processed cheese you'd get in a meat cheeseburger so they're probably meant to taste rubbish.

Sheese is great, just ate some actually, grated in pitta with falafel, salad and mayo.

Gorilla
Sep 19th, 2008, 03:17 PM
most people seem to like either Cheezly or Scheese, sometimes neither, but rarely both. so if you hated Cheezly, there's a chance you might like Scheese - or you might think that tastes like sick too. ;) personally i like Cheezly if i'm in the mood for it but i can't stand Scheese - i couldn't even finish the free sample i got at a vegan fayre :eek: :p

Enchantress
Sep 19th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I like both, but then I'll eat almost anything (as long as it's vegan, obviously).

Gorilla
Sep 19th, 2008, 04:21 PM
well we always knew you were one of a kind Enchantress :)

Rakey
Sep 19th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I'll definately try it, i'd love to like vegan cheese so I can do vegan versions of recipes I like. But then when I was veggie I thought dairy cheese was repulsive, (could just about eat mozzarella raw) unless it was melted on pizza or within a dish like lasagne.

The cheezly reminded me of the synthetic tasting chedder they used to make paninis with in our school canteen. Maybe it was the school connection...

Elahiya
Sep 19th, 2008, 11:33 PM
i think it really depends. the stall of bute island at the vegan festival was quite handy with their samples, cus u could try everything before buying a whole package an being very disappointed when u donīt like it. i think their cheddar-styles are good, but the mozzarella/blue flavour/cheshire were horrible. but as stu said, people like different things. from the cheezly i like them almost all, especially their "feta"!

Gorilla
Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
i found some Sheese in my local Sainsburys and thought i ought to buy some to support it, even though i hated it before. ;) they had the smoked cheddar and the cheddar soft cheese. i bought the cheddar soft and put it on some poppy seed crackers with slices of cucumber. i spread it very thinly and it was just about edible. :p i'm going to try making a pasta sauce with it.