PDA

View Full Version : Sheese

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

cobweb
Jan 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Blimey I can't understand how anyone could eat the stuff!.
We have it in the shop where I work and I can hardly bear to look at it, it just smells and tastes like vomit imo :confused:.

Risker
Jan 27th, 2011, 01:41 PM
^ If you read the packet carefully cobweb you'll see that it actually says tofutti on it.

cobweb
Jan 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
^ If you read the packet carefully cobweb you'll see that it actually says tofutti on it.

:tongue_ani:
I'm going to come over to where you live and change that sign on the road to read "Sheese Sucks" lol

friend
Feb 12th, 2011, 08:04 AM
To me, vegan chesse, per se, is very disappointing.Some varieties taste like a weird type of plastic, most dont melt, and its just plain odd tasting.When you consider how so called meat substitutes taste good, ice cream tastes great, why is our cheese so poor?

khadagan
Feb 12th, 2011, 10:04 PM
I completely agree, the vegan cheeses here are not very nice. Although when I went to flew to Ottawa for only a day last month I bought some Tofutti slices which were not bad at all. I'm in Quebec, so it's not exactly around the corner for me and they don't sell it here. What they sell here is disgusting, makes me want to set up my own vegan cheese making company, well at least for my own use. ;)

I miss cheezly, I bought that loads in the UK (sob). I make my own cheeses from the uncheese cookbook, some are nice, but I haven't found any good replacements in Quebec yet.

imothepixie
Feb 12th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Sheese... It's just weird! Don't know if I just tolerate it or hate it! Cheezly seems to evolve in leaps and bounds... while Sheese remains a rubbery lump! :zzz:

khadagan
Feb 12th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Eating Sheese tasted like how goat piss smells mixed with a plasticky flavour shaped into a non-meltable piece of rubber. I don't know if it was the particular variety I had, but it was enough to never want to have any of their sheeses again.

Barry
Feb 12th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Sheese... It's just weird! Don't know if I just tolerate it or hate it! Cheezly seems to evolve in leaps and bounds... while Sheese remains a rubbery lump! :zzz:

I completely agree with you on this. It's the type of thing that gives vegan food a bad name.

Risker
Feb 13th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Well I really enjoy it and think that cheezly tastes awful, has an awful texture and goes mouldy as soon as it's exposed to the air. Tofutti tastes like tramps feet.

cobweb
Feb 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I've NEVER Had Cheezly go mouldy on me and I keep an opened packet for a week or so in the fridge!.
Risker you make me chuckle, I've never 'met' anyone else who enjoys Sheese lol.

harpy
Feb 13th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I do know one person who will eat both Cheezly and Sheese but normally people seem to fall into one camp or the other (or neither)

XchrisX
Feb 13th, 2011, 04:00 PM
i cant believe anyone likes sheese. mad
into cheezly though. i love making pannis with tomato and basil with the super metling mozzerlla

khadagan
Feb 13th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Well I really enjoy it and think that cheezly tastes awful, has an awful texture and goes mouldy as soon as it's exposed to the air. Tofutti tastes like tramps feet.

I've had cheezly go moldy regularly and very often I've had implants packages which developed a huge air pocket in days before the expiration date and were about to explode. I was always checking the expiration date with cheezly.

Barry
Feb 13th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I've never had cheezly go mouldy, but I have had it go rock hard after being out in the air for a couple of hours. Then again, like Cobweb, I've had half opened packets in the fridge for up to ten days and be totally edible. My OH likes both cheezly and Sheese. The big weirdo.

harpy
Feb 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I have had Cheezly go mouldy if I left a half-eaten pack in the fridge for a few days - mind you I discovered recently that our fridge had got turned down (up?) somehow and was a lot warmer than it ought to have been.

Talking of mouldy cheese, I read somewhere (possibly the Vegan Society's mag) that they are going to be introducing a "blue" version of Cheezly, and in fact it seems to be on the Goodness Direct site already. Anyone tried that?

cobweb
Feb 13th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I've had cheezly go moldy regularly and very often I've had implants packages which developed a huge air pocket in days before the expiration date and were about to explode. I was always checking the expiration date with cheezly.

what does 'implants packages' mean?
I noticed one like that, all puffed up, of Cheatin Ham recently..........what makes it do that?

cobweb
Feb 13th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Cheezly shouldn't be kept out in the air though should it? (is vigorous defender of Cheezly - *stares hard at Barry*)
I think 'normal' (omni) cheese does that if left out (goes hard) if my memory serves me right.

twinkle
Feb 13th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I may have mentioned already that although as a rule I like cheezly and dislike most of the sheeses I've tried, I do think the smoked cheddar sheese is rather nice, and a little added to a white sauce does go a long way to jazz it up.

khadagan
Feb 13th, 2011, 11:14 PM
what does 'implants packages' mean?
I noticed one like that, all puffed up, of Cheatin Ham recently..........what makes it do that?

When sealed packages are all puffed up it means the item has gone bad. The bacteria inside have multiplied loads, they produce gasses as they multiply so the package gets all puffy. I wouldn't eat it anymore. With cheezly I always used to return the puffy unopened packages if they were within expiration dates for fresh ones. It happened very often with the cheezly I bought and I did buy cheezly a lot.

harpy
Feb 14th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Agreed, I wouldn't use those "blown" packages. On the other hand, I might slice off a small amount of superficial mould and use what's left, although I know some people are concerned about that too.

cobweb
Feb 14th, 2011, 06:48 AM
ew, no, I've never seen a 'blown' pack of Cheezly but have seen other stuff like that (and avoided them, but didn't know why).

Ms_Derious
Feb 14th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Talking of mouldy cheese, I read somewhere (possibly the Vegan Society's mag) that they are going to be introducing a "blue" version of Cheezly, and in fact it seems to be on the Goodness Direct site already. Anyone tried that?

Why yes, they had it in the trio pack that was selling in H&B in December. It was smoked, pepperjack and blue style cheezly. It was blurry lovely! Sadly, I'm not really one for buying food online as I get moody over the delivery charges.

I had the blue sheese once... much prefer the cheezly version.

Barry
Feb 14th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Cheezly shouldn't be kept out in the air though should it? (is vigorous defender of Cheezly - *stares hard at Barry*)

:o

But sometimes I'm too stuffed with cheezly pasta to put it back in the fridge!

harpy
Feb 14th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I think I read they're introducing the Pepperjack one as part of the normal range as well - not sure about the smoked.

cobweb
Feb 14th, 2011, 07:25 PM
:o

But sometimes I'm too stuffed with cheezly pasta to put it back in the fridge!

good excuse, have to let you off with that one lol