PDA

View Full Version : Sheese

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Yogini
Jan 30th, 2007, 09:37 PM
If you live in the U.S. (and maybe Canada - I don't know where all Vegan Essentials ships to), if Vegan Essentials has any left (I think they're sold out of half the flavors) and if you can afford it (10 USD for 8 oz.), order some Sheese. I just received a package of the strong cheddar and it's good. Way better than FYH. Not quite as good as Cheezly, but unlike Cheezly, now available to Yankee Doodles. I ate it sliced on crackers, no melting involved, and found it quite tasty. Very firm, too. Quite nice. :p

I was going to provide a link, but the URL that appears over the Sheese page is for the homepage. So go to www.veganessentials.com (http://www.veganessentials.com) and click "New Products." You'll find it there.

Tigerlily
Jan 31st, 2007, 12:21 AM
I'm dying to taste it!

I should buy some!

Roxy
Jan 31st, 2007, 02:51 AM
Thanks Yogini. Looks like they're all sold out now, but next time I put in an order at Vegan Essentials, I'll be sure to order one of those to try.

Oh and they do ship to Canada......I order from them a few times a year.

inkedmiss
Mar 11th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Has anyone tried this brand and if so is it any good ?

They do lots of varities and I am thinking of trying the cheddar

Lorrs
Mar 11th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I'd like to try it but I can't find it in Glasgow and the only website I can find it on (www.goodnessdirect.co.uk) requires you buy 6 chilled things at a time. Seeing as that's the only thing I want to try, I don't want 6 incase it's not nice.

RedWellies
Mar 11th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Personally I don't like any of the cheeses but my BF buys them. Apparently they have just improved the cheddar but his favourite is the smoked one.

See this (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=280920#post280920) thread too.

inkedmiss
Mar 11th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I saw about the smoked one. I was going to try cheddar to use in sauces etc and veg wraps etc.

Purplerose, its the same site I saw it on and I'm going to order a few things and give it a try.

Kevster
Mar 11th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I did quite like the smoked one.

Barley
Mar 11th, 2007, 06:35 PM
I think they are excellent cheese substitutes - I tend to stick to the plain cheddar one, but have tried most of the flavours and they are the best on the market in my opinion.

Cherry
Mar 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM
And now without hydrogenated fats ;)

Barley
Mar 11th, 2007, 08:43 PM
And now without hydrogenated fats ;)

Yes, I was going to mention that... but because of that I don't think they're quite so good! Still, I'd rather not have the hydro's! But, they do have that soya protein isolate or whatever, and as the jury's out on that, I do tend to limit my intake...

Patchouli
Mar 11th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I have only seen them available in Beanfreaks and have tried just two flavours - smoked and a herby one, um, chives I think... it went so fast I can't remember!
They are nice, better than all the Cheezly range except the melty one :)

herbwormwood
Mar 12th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I don't like Scheese, it is far too strong for my liking and I think it tastes nasty. I prefer Redwoods Cheezely, which is milder.

Jannan
Mar 20th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Sheese is amazing! I've tried the mozzarella and mild cheddar kinds, and they're both delicious. At first they tasted a little bit weird... but the taste definitely grows on you. I'd recommend Sheese to everyone. And you can buy it from Vegan Essentials and the Vegan Store (Pangea).

Jannan
Mar 20th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I live in Canada... and I know from several experiences that Pangea and Vegan Essentials both ship to Canada.

sprite1986
Mar 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM
I bought some of the Blue Cheese Scheese yesterday, and can honestly say it tastes JUST like it! And it's got the texture of a hard cheese.

I'm happy.

Christina
Mar 20th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I got sheese yesterday and didn't really like it, it wasnt as bad a cheezly (that nearly made me throw up) It didnt melt on my pizza at all, just turned a weird brown colour. Im going to try it in a toastie tonight, see if it melts any better this time.

Gorilla
Mar 20th, 2007, 01:37 PM
is it supposed to melt? i've found there's no point even trying to melt vegan cheese unless it's specifically made for it, like Redwood melting Cheezly, because it'll just go horrible. i hated Scheese last time i tried it and i know they've changed it recently but i'm still not sure about buying it again.

harpy
Mar 20th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't mind trying the new version as it's been reformulated without the dread hydrogenated oils, but I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

The old version certainly wasn't prone to melting.

Mr Flibble
Mar 20th, 2007, 02:14 PM
It's worth a try Gorilla. I agree that the old version was absolutely disgusting. The new one isn't worth getting excited about (I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to buy it - let alone order it from anotehr country! :eek:), but it's OK as a change. If I saw it on sale again I'd consider buying it.

horselesspaul
Mar 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I bought some of the Blue Cheese Scheese yesterday, and can honestly say it tastes JUST like it!
It's been a while since you had cow pus cheese I take it?
Blue Cheese Scheese just tastes like sick to my palette but your mileage might vary..
Cheezly is repulsive (and sweet..wtf).

emmapresley
Mar 20th, 2007, 03:52 PM
i was never really 'into' cheese before..and i'm not that fussed about vegan cheese..but i haven't tried it and i want to simply for the fact that it's available and i can..but i have to say nowt anyone has said is encouraging me

paul..you especially are putting me right off :)

harpy
Mar 20th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I actually quite like Cheezly now and then but I wouldn't recommend eating it on its own, because the fact that it's not really all that cheese-like is rather noticeable then. It's better with something, or in cooking, I think.

Toast with mashed avocado and then melted Cheezly on top is quite pleasant, esp with a sprinkle of Tabasco.

Mr Flibble
Mar 20th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I think meltable cheezly is pretty good, there's always some in the fridge. I don't think of these things as being direct substitutes, just things with similar tastes and qualities that can be used in similar circumstances. Cheezly isn't fantastic on pizza, but it's great stuffed into the crust with sundried tomatoes.

Yogini
Mar 20th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I recently tried the smoked cheddar and gouda Sheeses. I loved the smoked cheddar, but stay away (far away) from the gouda. Not so gooda.