PDA

View Full Version : Snack Control

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bic
Feb 3rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
I, like many other people it seems, have the bad habit of snacking when bored. I don't do it for taste, I don't do it because I'm hungry - I just do it habitually to keep occupied. Trying to distract myself with work doesn't go because well...I don't like working. ;)

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know a good way to break the habit?

I've heard of chewing gum to stop, but I've found that just doesn't work (for me, anyways).

Risker
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
How about just changing what you snack on? Keep some chopped up celery, carrots etc in the fridge?

Bic
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:25 PM
I do snack on those (also a lot of dried fruit). I just think it's a bad habit to continue so I'd like to stop it completely.

Risker
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Why's that bad? As long as what you're snacking on is healthy I don't see the problem.

Bic
Feb 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM
Because when I started my diet (I'm about 10 pounds overweight), I realised my snacking was causing me to consume far too many calories per day. If I can stop it (or at least reduce it, I suppose) it would be much easier to control my weight.

karmadust
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
try knitting. it keeps your hands busy!

SeaSiren
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Keep eating in the kitchen. No food in front of the TV, computer or in the car. People tend to eat too much when they aren't paying attention to the meal or snack. Also be sure you have portions, and not the entire bag available. The first two weeks it'll be all you can think of, since it is a habit (be sure to keep reminding yourself of that). After that it gets easier until you don't have the urge anymore.

sugarmouse
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:20 PM
have lots of water or sugar free drinks to keep yuor mouth occupied...
Clean yuor teeth every time yuo eat, then yuo are less tempted to dirty them again and no food tastes nice straight after brushing yuor teeth if you are a toothpaste user!

Risker
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Because when I started my diet (I'm about 10 pounds overweight), I realised my snacking was causing me to consume far too many calories per day. If I can stop it (or at least reduce it, I suppose) it would be much easier to control my weight.

Oh ok. You probably already know but eating celery actually results in negative calories.

Bic
Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
I'll start some of those today (eating only in kitchen, brushing teeth, etc.) today and try to learn knitting or another hand-occupying hobby when I get the chance. :)
Thanks for your advice everyone!

EDIT: I'm more of a carrot than celery person. Celery is one of the few veggies that I don't really like. I suppose if I cut them up and mix them with my carrots I won't mind them so much, though. ;)

karmadust
Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
i like the advice of drinking lots of water - i keep a HUGE bottle of water with me everywhere and sometimes i'll flavor it with just a bit of juice. the act of drinking actually becomes an addiction if i have the water sitting right there by me and it tastes good. i just keep going for more!

angelamc
Feb 6th, 2007, 03:04 AM
I also drink lots of water and try not to snack randomly. If I feel an overwhelming desire to snack unnecessarily I will draw with colored pencils or color in a coloring book. Anything that keeps your hands busy will help, even if it was meant for a little kid! Knitting is also a great idea.

twinkle
Feb 6th, 2007, 03:41 AM
I used to eat grapefruit a lot - it took me ages because I'd peel all the skin off the segments and generally disembowel it while eating it, so each grapefruit, not the most calorific of fruits in the first place, took me about half an hour to eat.

I really need to get away from my bad snacking habits, I've put on over a stone since September :(

Bic
Feb 6th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I used to eat grapefruit a lot - it took me ages because I'd peel all the skin off the segments and generally disembowel it while eating it, so each grapefruit, not the most calorific of fruits in the first place, took me about half an hour to eat.

I really need to get away from my bad snacking habits, I've put on over a stone since September :(

That's a really good idea, I have some tangerines from Florida in the kitchen (family member just got back from visiting there).

Haha, we shall strive to end our bad snacking together! ;) This forum reminds me vaguely of weight watchers sometimes - except with snarkiness, wit and a bigger conversation range.

angelamc
Feb 7th, 2007, 01:33 AM
-This forum reminds me vaguely of weight watchers sometimes-
That's an interesting sentiment. You're right, sometimes it's totally like vegan weight watchers. I think I'm going to research their food point system- and then probably ignore it...:D

jamboxrock
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:26 AM
I control snacking by not keeping "junk" food in the house. I realise that may not work for most people (living w/ family or roommates), but I practically live alone so it's great. That way the only time I have to exercise self control is while I'm at the grocery store. And if I want a snack, I have to eat something healthy.

Woodsie
Feb 7th, 2007, 06:19 AM
I, like many other people it seems, have the bad habit of snacking when bored. I don't do it for taste, I don't do it because I'm hungry - I just do it habitually to keep occupied. Trying to distract myself with work doesn't go because well...I don't like working. ;)

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know a good way to break the habit?

I've heard of chewing gum to stop, but I've found that just doesn't work (for me, anyways).

Bic, I have the same problem... and once I start I can't stop. Somebody at work yesterday offered me a chocolate, saying 'one won't hurt' but actually one does hurt as it sets me off on an 'eating extravanganza' and off I go in search of something else. After all, what's the point of one chocolate, one biscuit/one potato chip? Just teases the tastebuds if you ask me! I'm an all or nothing person ... I had thought I might give the old '3 meals a day' a go with nothing inbetween. Total abstinence!

puffin
Feb 7th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Its hard not to snack. I am at home most of the time so its easy to just have a look in the cupboard to see what there is to munch. I have been doing really well lately and the thing that helps me is when i go in the kitchen i put the kettle on instead and make a peppermint tea.

Haniska
Feb 7th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Great idea puffin!

wmenke
Feb 11th, 2007, 02:15 AM
I also find that when I'm bored I eat and eat and eat. My New Year's resolution this year was to eat only when I'm actually hungry. I've found that when I'm bored now, I just drink a lot of fluids...especially something like Crystal Light or coffee. It's worked for me so far and I'm well hydrated :)

Ginger
Mar 14th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Today I've decided to keep an HONEST food diary :eek: . Not so I can count calories (not at the moment anyway), but just to get an overall view of what I'm eating (too much :( ) I find it very easy to forget the 3 biscuits and the crisps etc. so I'm hoping this will help me plan my meals better. Anyone else keep a food diary and does it help or just make you fixate on food :confused: ??

RachelJune
Mar 14th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I've been keeping a food diary for a couple of months now, and I find it really helps me to be more conscious of my diet. In that sense I guess it does make you focus more on food, but in a good way.

If you're recording it honestly then you can keep track of what foods you typically consume, whether it's too much or too little and what might be lacking in your diet. For example, I started doing it to keep an eye on whether I'm getting enough calories, fat, protein, fruit & veggies, etc. I've since made a lot of improvements as a result :D

flying plum
Mar 14th, 2007, 03:50 PM
i've been keeping a food and sleep diary for a few weeks now. i was starting to feel really tired, so i wanted to see if my eating and sleeping habits were having anything to do with it. i decided i'm probably not getting enough iron, so i'm remedying that asap :)

amanda

Roxy
Mar 14th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I keep a food diary every day (except for one day a week, which is my "cheat day"). I use http://www.fitday.com/. This helps me keep track of what I eat, my calorie and fat intake as well as all other essential nutrients.

speedylemons
Mar 15th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Roxy,

do you end up creating a lot of your own 'custom foods' in fitday then? I always end up doing that because there's never the foods i eat.. basically the breads/random stuff