PDA

View Full Version : Vegans and eggs

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]

maggielassie
Nov 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM
What "proves" meat-eaters that the corpse they're eating is the one of an animal that lived a 'happy' life is beyond me. They know nothing about what happened to the animal. And it's highly unlikely that it was 'happy'. :(

littlemiss
Oct 7th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I stumbled across this website yesterday. They sell rescue hen eggs. My personal objection to eggs is the unnatural treatment in this country and slaughter of unwanted male chicks, however this site claims not to do any of that and uses rescue hens, so claiming they are vegan friendly and that some vegans buy the eggs.

Just open for discussion. Don't go getting scary vegan on us though...
Ps sorry if the link doesn't work, I tried!

Firestorm
Oct 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Personally I would still not touch them with a barge pole.
I appreciate that they are not being treated cruelly (allegedly), but I don't think we have any right to take eggs that belong to another animal, I also see eggs as still being animals (albeit undeveloped), and I dont like the idea of eating anything which comes out of another animals backside. :-)

leedsveg
Oct 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I totally agree Firestorm. Don't see how the people who eat these, or any other eggs, can call themselves vegans. As far as I can understand, they are vegetarians.

Leedsveg

missbettie
Oct 7th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I also see eggs as still being animals (albeit undeveloped), . :-)

Just out of curiosity, are you pro choice? Not that it really matters, eating eggs is still wrong to me, but this is something I have a really hard time explaining to non-vegans, the idea that eating non fertilized rescue eggs is wrong. I generally go down the path of, its just not right to take something that doesn't belong to us.

CoolCat
Oct 7th, 2011, 07:16 PM
What happens if you don't take the eggs from chickens? If I understand birds right they will lay a full nest and start breeding. These eggs aren't fertile, so if I understand chickens right they end up eating them theirselfs.

So by taking the eggs away, wouldn't you prevent a full nest and thus putting a strain on the body of the chicken to keep producing eggs. By all means rescue chicken (as long as you don't buy them from batteries, because then you just create demand) but let them do their own thing. Feed them, love them, interact with them if they are up for it, but just let them be.

missbettie
Oct 7th, 2011, 07:19 PM
good argument, I think i will start using that one. Thanks CoolCat. :) I've never really researched that before.

Firestorm
Oct 7th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Very good point coolcat!

Just out of curiosity, are you pro choice?
I don't really know ( I have spent hours thinking about it but can never come to a conclusion) - its such a sensitive and difficult subject, I would rather not discuss it.

missbettie
Oct 7th, 2011, 08:29 PM
ya, I kind of feel the same way...you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't.

CuddlyChicken
Oct 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM

missbettie
Oct 7th, 2011, 09:09 PM
but by definition if you eat eggs, regardless of where they came from, you wouldn't be Vegan.

jackie
Oct 8th, 2011, 01:08 AM
^ what she said :-)

littlemiss
Oct 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I agree its a difficult one to explain if the chickens just lay the egss anyway but in nature they lay far fewer eggs, and sometimes none, especially winter. I don't think its good idea to encourage eggs consumption, or we end up with industrialisation of animals all over again. I still feel this feeds the business that kills the male chicks far down the line.
I tried ackee last year which was supposed to taste eggy. It was disgusting so I think i've adjusted to no eggs.
I'm pleased the ex-batt's have somewhere nice to go.

Crusty Rat
Oct 10th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Q) Vegan Friendly eggs?
A) Vegan's don't eat eggs.

I agree with the above that it's promoting eating eggs which is clearly a slippery slope. I don't have much experience with chickens but I've heard from friends that if you drop the eggs on the floor the chickens peck them right up, so I figure they'd enjoy them more than I would. Personally I'm not rushing to eat anything that came out a rescue bird's back end any quicker than I am to eat anything that came out the back end of my rescue rabbit.

splodge
Oct 21st, 2011, 02:29 AM
The hens are rescue hens and the eggs are incidental but eating eggs would not have been possible without the death of some males, even if it was nothing to do with you. Vegans catergorically don't eat animal products.

Plus chickens have one hole for everything so the eggs come out of the same place as their shit. And it's basically a chickens period.

Korn
Oct 21st, 2011, 08:03 AM
but by definition if you eat eggs, regardless of where they came from, you wouldn't be Vegan.
That's true - you wouldn't be a vegan if you ate eggs from any chicken... I've merged this thread with a couple of other threads about eggs - with many posts explaining why vegans don'teat eggs at all.

For other reasons (valid for non-vegans as well) to stop using eggs, look eg. here:
20-30 types of cancer and animal products (eggs, fish, milk, meat) (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?27770-20-30-types-of-cancer-and-animal-products-(eggs-fish-milk-meat))

ETA: More here (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?18759-Vegans-and-eggs-here-s-the-short-one-paragraph-version!&p=695116&viewfull=1#post695116).

TheHRchannel
Oct 23rd, 2011, 08:22 PM
Humans don't even need eggs. Plus, eggs have high cholesterol and fat causing some serious health problems.

crisinic
Dec 6th, 2011, 02:22 AM
If there is a supply and demand of ANYTHING, as humans, greed sets in and we do all we can possible to exploit it to the max. Chickens are stuffed in a cage and don't leave their whole lives...there are thousands in a warehouse with no windows so you can't see this in action...you can't see the birds laying in their own shit with cuts and bruises and broken bones TRYING to get out. Some are put with other hens so at some point their beaks were burned off with no form anesthesia so they won't peck at each other. If you ask for organic, and if enough people demand it, someone will supply it. I can't make anyone change their lifestyle... but geeze would it hurt you to get something "better" and go to a local farmers market?

Kalikyo
Mar 30th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Hello all. I am new here so forgive me if I've put this in the wrong section or if this has been asked. I am recently vegan and have a question about eggs. I realize many vegans don't condone eating eggs for the ethical reasons, or the means by which the eggs are harvested, and I completely understand.

That being said, I'd like your opinions on the following matter:

My family owns about 40 acres and we are situated somewhere near the center and I was thinking of buying a chicken from a local farmer. The farmer told me that the chickens will not stray very far from their roosting area/coop, and he just allows his chickens to roam freely. My plan was to set up a coop/roosting area and have the chicken get accustomed to it, and just let the chicken roam freely, but collect the eggs (and eat them)

I was curious if it's "acceptable" in your opinions to eat eggs under these conditions, and still be considered "vegan"

Thanks for any input.

mini_mi
Mar 31st, 2014, 08:33 AM
Hi kalilkyo,
Vegan is no animal products regardless of how raised or obtained. Not saying that your plan of obtaining a chicken and raising it, is wrong. Just that eating ANY animal products is not vegan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tickled onion
Mar 31st, 2014, 09:19 AM
what did the farmer do with the male chicks that don't lay eggs....? did he castrate them to fatten them for meat or did he kill them after sexing because they are no use to him... I cant imagine he has lots of roosters about the place, worrying the hens, fighting and crowing all the time. There is no such thing as an ethical egg, billions of male chicks are killed because they serve no purpose to the industry/farmer

Clueless Git
Mar 31st, 2014, 10:22 AM
Hello all. I am new here so forgive me if I've put this in the wrong section or if this has been asked. I am recently vegan and have a question about eggs. I realize many vegans don't condone eating eggs for the ethical reasons, or the means by which the eggs are harvested, and I completely understand.

There is a further reason why vegans don't eat eggs, Kalikyo.

Enough eggs for all is NOT ethicaly/moraly/whateverly sustainable.

Eggs for me but no eggs for you is a double standard. One rule for one/some and another rule for others. A blatant hypocracy.

It's a simple case of if a thing becomes wrong if everyone does it then no right minded person should do it.

harpy
Apr 1st, 2014, 02:00 PM
Another reason that I wouldn't do it myself is that it might give non-vegans the impression that we need to eat eggs, which obviously we don't.

I like hens though - if I had room I'd get some rescue hens from an intensive farm (and not eat the eggs :) )

Risker
Apr 2nd, 2014, 06:27 AM
I think the vegan ethos of not using any animal products can seem rather simplistic and dogmatic but the universal truth is that whenever animals (or parts thereof) are 'used' it's never for their benefit.

Korn
Apr 2nd, 2014, 02:12 PM
I think the vegan ethos of not using any animal products can seem rather simplistic and dogmatic but the universal truth is that whenever animals (or parts thereof) are 'used' it's never for their benefit.
True. The 'argument' which sometimes pops up about eggs is that if one picks egg from "happy" hens, it won't harm anyone - but the fact is that whenever someone has access to animal products which they assume can be consumed without causing any harm, it would much better to hand these over (sell, give a way...) to someone who aren't vegans, with the result that these non-vegans would spend less money on supporting factory farms, commercial egg production etc.

Veganism was never about looking for "happy" in order to use their milk, eggs etc. We don't need animal products, we don't want to take their feathers/milk/eggs etc from them, and they certainly don't need our use of animal products. And if a hen starts producing more eggs if we take their eggs from them, we end up an overproduction which harms the poor birds and which nobody needs.

I was thinking of buying a chicken from a local farmer.
That action, even before you 'own' the chicken, is a non-vegan action, because it helps people who make a living out of "producing" animals (and animal products) make more money on it. The point isn't that it's "non-vegan" though - it's that buying animals/birds etc contributes to the production of commercial animal products... and the "production" of animals. The core idea behind veganism is that if we don't support those who try to make money on animals, directly or indirectly, we contribute to making it less profitable and therefore less attractive to earn a living on making animal product, selling animals etc.

Eggs aren't really useful for humans – the B12 in them is kind of problematic (only circa 30% is absorbed), and we don't need them for other nutrients. So - why keep using then year after year anyway? It only takes a few weeks to break a habit. :-)