PDA

View Full Version : traveling to a non-vegan country?

carivegan
Feb 9th, 2007, 03:49 AM
How to Be Vegan in Non-Vegan Country

So, you want to be a vegetarian (one who subsists on a diet composed primarily or wholly of vegetables, grains, fruits, nuts, and seeds, with or without eggs and dairy products), but you have to live in a non-vegetarian community? Here is some simple advice on following the diet of your choice when surrounded by others who may not be understanding of your dietary preferences.
Steps

Listen to your body. While there are some diseases that may preclude one from eating a solely vegetarian diet, meat-free diets tend to be lower in unhealthy fats, and cholesterols and higher in vitamins and fiber than non-vegetarian diets. Be aware of your energy levels and cravings as they relate to your diet.
Be aware of what foods are and aren't vegetarian. Some cheeses for instance contain rennet, which is an enzyme derived from a calfs stomach, and thus not vegetarian. Always read the labels on your food products.
If you are eating out, feel free to ask the waiter or waitress to check with the kitchen on what menu items are vegetarian-friendly if you are unsure. Soups are often made with a chicken-stock base, and these are especially important to check on before ordering. You'll likely find that by being patient and polite most restaurants are more than happy to accommodate your needs. Sometimes the chef will even whip up a special entree if there is nothing substantially vegetarian on the menu! Leaving a larger tip than you normally would can demonstrate your appreciation for the restaurant's ability to accommodate you and can lead to positive feelings that may in turn lead to more vegetarian options being added to the standard menu.
Learn the joy of cooking for yourself. One way to make people more accepting of your dietary choice is to cook foods you enjoy and share them. Many people are under the false assumption that eating vegetarian means surviving mainly on salads and bland unseasoned vegetables. You may be surprised at your friends' or family's positive reactions after eating a tasty, filling, yet healthy and meat-free meal.
Get to know if there are any small farmer's markets or whole-foods retailers in your area. Foods from these places can sometimes be less expensive than grocery store bought goods, and are often fresher and of higher quality.
Let your local supermarkets know if they are not carrying the types of vegetarian products that you wish to purchase. This may not immediately effect change, but if there are others in your area that have also made the same complaint, the products in question will likely be added to the shelves.

Tips

Be conscious and confident of your decision to eat vegetarian. When others question you on it, don't be afraid to defend your beliefs. In general, it will be much easier for others to understand and respect your choice if you do yourself.
If you don't feel like defending your choice to be vegetarian (or if you haven't done enough research to feel confident doing so), then recommend that the person look on-line for answers to their questions. This may prevent you from being verbally abused by someone who seeks pleasure in challenging other people's beliefs.
If there are no vegetarians in your community, then consider finding an on-line community in which to be active.

Warnings

Be sure to eat a varied diet with many different types of foods in order to help ensure that you are getting the nutrients your body needs. Consider taking a daily multi-vitamin.
Create a peaceful frame of mind around your decision to be vegetarian. A defensive frame of mind invites attacks, comes across as an easy target, andmost importantlyrobs you of the joy of lighter living.

many more tips & recipes at http://www.myspace.com/carivegan

Marrers
Feb 9th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Lol - I haven't had time to read this yet but the title made me laugh -where is there a vegan country? I'll move!

Korn
Feb 13th, 2007, 09:07 AM
traveling to a non-vegan country?Yes, the title is kind of misleading, since there are no 'vegan countries'.

berta_the_aspie
Mar 1st, 2007, 10:49 AM
lets make a microstate then

Korn
Mar 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM
lets make a microstate then
This site IS that microstate, it's just that we're living in different places still - but I've arranged for a driver to come an pick you all up next week and bring us to one of these islands:

Islands for sale (http://www.escapeartist.com/International_Real_Estate/Islands_For_Sale/Islands_For_Sale.html)

Or maybe we should buy one of these villages instead:

A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity (http://orvietocastle.com/)

French Village For Sale (http://okfuture.net/2006/10/30/french-village-for-sale/)

pavotrouge
Mar 1st, 2007, 04:54 PM
I'm in...let's make a poll on what piece of land to buy! http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/froehlich/h035.gif

Hemlock
Mar 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM
I was pretty mad when I went camping in France - me and my son had the worst food imaginable and had to resort to shopping for and cooking our own from raw while our trvelling party ate like kings. We were excluded from all restaurant outings as there were NO edible vegan options where we were.
I don't feel like going there again even though the ferry to France is just a mile up the road from us.
I suppose the only option is to take all our own food next time and do activities that don't involve eating.