PDA

View Full Version : Toothache

Pages : [1] 2

Marrers
Feb 15th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I am sitting here with terrible toothache. I think I might have an abscess under my crown - I have only a 15 minute appointment with the dentist tomorrow, it is all they can fit me in for so I doubt they can do anything much.

I won't take anti-biotics or painkillers. I have had a long standing infection at the root of a tooth dealt with by regular cleaning out and temporary fillings before but that was a gradual thing and the pain was not too bad, nothing like this which has appeared quite quickly and is steadily getting worse.

Also the dentist is closed for the weekend and I'm going away to Paris for a few days on Monday morning - typical timing :mad: - so am a bit stressed about the prospect of surviving the weekend and most of next week without dental treatment.

Any tips anyone?

RedWellies
Feb 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Poor you, Marrers. I know anti-biotics aren't the best thing in the world for many reasons but maybe if you took a course, the infection/abscess would clear up. If you got them tomorrow, they would have kicked in by monday.

Other than that, you could try swilling salty water around in your mouth.

rianaelf
Feb 15th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Aw you poor thing <hugs>
there are a number of herbs that help toothache but obviously only your dentist can sort it out properly.
Myrhh tincture is good, applied staright to the tooth, tastes awful and may sting but it halps to clean and prevent further infection.
Wild Indigo root tincture is also good for combatting the infection and it is a lymphatic cleanser which should help to clear thew infection out fo your body.
Echinaceae and Golden Seal are very good as natural antibiotics.
Jasmine is also a lymphatic cleanser so you could try drinking lots of that as wel.
Don't eat any sugar whatsoever and just try to keep it as clean as possible.
Aloe dent sensitive toothpaste is very good for easing the pain.
I have got anti-biotics before for an infected tooth and the first lot made me feel realy wierd and dizzy so i got a different one and that was fine but since then i've stuck with the herbs.
Anyways, best of luck, hope you can enjoy your holiday !!

Marrers
Feb 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Yeah, just about to try the salty water.

I've not had any anti-biotics etc for about 10 years and I really don't want them in my system (my homeopath will go mad!)

Marrers
Feb 15th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the herb info rianelf. I have some echinacea so I can take some of that tonight. The rest I'll have to look into getting tomorrow.

rianaelf
Feb 15th, 2007, 06:54 PM
You are welcome :)

G Baldwin & Co in Elephant & Castle stock all the tinctures and they are very fairly priced, but i wouldn't totally rule out antibiotics as they can be very effective, especially if you havn't had any for so long, as long as they are not of a type you are alergic to.

puffin
Feb 15th, 2007, 07:15 PM
How awful. I really feel for you. Last year i had my wisdom tooth out and a tooth that broke that became really painful. I just used a temp filling to stop food getting in it but you dont have that problem so im sorry i dont have any pain killing tips. I hope it isnt to painful in Paris for you and you have a lovely time.

Lilac Hamster
Feb 15th, 2007, 07:22 PM
This piece mentions garlic, onions and cloves as good herbal antibiotics and to help with the pain.

http://www.free-herbal-medicines.com/diseases/tooth-ache.html

You have my sympathy, it sounds like agony, please don't be too hard on yourself if you do decide to try antibiotics. You have done well avoiding them for 10 years, can your homeopath see you at short notice and help at all?

Please don't just suffer in silence though.

twinkle
Feb 15th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Holding cloves against the tooth, or applying clove oil is the classic for tooth pain. Not sure it will work if it's not the actual tooth, but the gum underneath, but might be worth a try if you're in agony and haven't got any of the other things suggested?

Sorry to hear about your pain, Marrers, what horrible timing! :(

Frank
Feb 15th, 2007, 09:47 PM
My symphathies are with you.

My physio put me on a machine yesterday to stretch my neck. As it pulls the jaw into a full and long bite it feels like i've been hit in the mouth with a brick. All my front teeth are screaming at the moment but the glove oil has been working for me.

If I run out of oil I will use neat alcohol.

(Somehow I think i got that the wrong way around!) :)

Gloves work for most people - at least on the tooth and sometimes gums and you can normally get it in supermarkets/pharmacies.

You could ask your dentist tomorrow to find out where your nearest dental hospital is and whether they can treat you for your specific problem there - unless he fixes things for you himself.

Most dentisits operate emergency cover outside their standard times and maybe your dentist might ask you to go to whoever is doing this in your area?

Hope you get it sorted tomorrow :)

Gorilla
Feb 15th, 2007, 09:57 PM
i hope you can get it sorted out before you go away Marrers, and i'd just add that i find peppermint oil is good for numbing mouth pain if you put a few drops in with mouthwash such as Sarakan, which is also good for the gums generally.

twinkle
Feb 15th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Marrers, I just had a word with my dad to see if he could suggest any homeopathic remedies, and he asked if your practitioner had an out-of-hours number - he seemed to think they should be available in case of emergencies. Otherwise he might be able to help if he could get a few more details.

karmadust
Feb 15th, 2007, 10:44 PM
aw - i don't know about treating the tooth itself, but for the pain, try drinking willow bark tea...it's basically a naturally occurring aspirin. you'll need to drink three or four cups, but it should help the pain and inflammation.

veganwitch
Feb 15th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Sorry you are in so much tooth pain. I've been there and what worked for me was garlic cloves. I see some folks already mentioned it. I would slice a clove and put the cut side in my mouth against my sore tooth. I had a raging infection as well from an impacted wisdom tooth and another broken tooth. The garlic worked pretty much instantly. The only bad thing was garlic juice dripping down and burning my throat but that was nothing compared to the tooth pain I had.

Another thing I tried was rubbing the skin between my thumb and index finger back and forth on the same side of my body as the hurt tooth. It helped minimally but any relief was welcome.

Also used some lavendar oil on the skin which at least smelled nice and helped me doze off .

I hope you feel better soon.

Marrers
Feb 15th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Marrers, I just had a word with my dad to see if he could suggest any homeopathic remedies, and he asked if your practitioner had an out-of-hours number - he seemed to think they should be available in case of emergencies. Otherwise he might be able to help if he could get a few more details.

Thanks for all the advice and sympathy guys. The pain has subsided a little - after trying various things so I don't know what is working. At least it isn't as bad as it was.

I managed to get some advice on remedies from my homeopath but obviously I can't get them til tomorrow. Thanks for your efforts there Twinks.

I had to make my stew into a soup or face starvation! Hope I can get some sleep but since I grind my teeth I reckon I'll keep waking myself up!

Found out some interesting things while searching the web for ideas - has anyone got experience of Oil Pulling (sluicing oil around your mouth for 20-30 minutes a day on an empty stomach)? Sounds very interesting.

cvC
Feb 16th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I've tried oil-pulling and did get a sense of it cleansing me to some extent, but am now trying to give up all fats, even in nuts, and so haven't done it for a while for that reason. One swishes the oil around the mouth and between the teeth and I presume there's some kind of osmotic process involved in organisms and toxins being drawn through the thin membrane of the mouth into the oil, which should then be spat out. Here's a website about it and below that the oil-pulling forum at CureZone:

http://oilpulling.com/
http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=738

This mightn't be to everyon's taste, but an aspect of a therapy I've written about before is described below:

"I have tried this therapy on worst type of tooth pain, and all sorts of tooth and gum troubles, like gingivitis, pyorrhea and gumboil. It has never failed in a single instance. Severest tooth pain disappears in minutes.

"Once during my lecture, one gentleman rose from the audience and asked me 'Mr. Thakkar, you are talking so highly about urine treatment for all tooth problems, but my experience is otherwise with it. I am washing my mouth with urine since two years, still I have lost my two teeth and the third one is loose and is on the verge of going.' I asked him, 'How long you you rinse your mouth with urine?' His reply was 'for a minute or two'. The defect in the treatment was detected instantly. One has to fill his or her mouth with fresh urine for ten minutes so that it can be absorbed by the gums and would reach the roots of the teeth. He informed me after few days that his teeth had become all right with my technique within a week. During last ten years thousands of people have vouched the efficacy of U.T. on teeth and gum problems of various types."

http://www.indiangyan.com/books/therapybooks/Uropathy/my_personal_experiments.shtml

"Tooth Abscess,- Jose Martinez had a bad infection in a tooth that needed root canal or extraction. The infection caused his face to become inflamed and he had a lot of pain. He obtained temporary relief with pain killers but he was getting desperate. He remembered reading in the urine therapy book that holding a mouthful of urine for a few minutes was an excellent treatment for this type of problem. He used the remedy every four to six hours as recommended just as if he was taking medication.

"He was desperate and wanted to see if this simple remedy would work before going to the emergency room at a local hospital. He recalled the taste of urine being repulsive, but the pain was unbearable. Besides holding urine in his mouth, he also put a rag soaked in urine on his face. Within minutes, the pain started diminishing and two hours later the inflammation started subsiding.

"He prepared the ultimate universal remedy and used it as instructed, every three hours, for a few days before seeing the dentist and all the while the pain and the infection were under control. His dentist could not believe Martinez's story and though she will never admit it in public, she now mentions the application to patients who are allergic to, or do not like using antibiotics."

http://www.earthtym.net/ref-UT-notes-1.htm#Tooth&#37;20abscess

Here's a UT support forum at CureZone:

http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=109

Marrers
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Argh! This darm tooth I've had all the trouble with - finally had a permenant repair done a week back (cost me over &#163;200 in treatment over past few months) and this afternoon it broke off. Once the surgery has closed for the weekend of course.
I feel furious. And now have to face a weekend with sharp shards of the remaining fragments of the tooth catching my tongue, possible pain as the filling beneath falls out too and eating soft foods on one side of my mouth.
And I'm going away for the weekend so can't even use the emergancy surgery if needed.
There is not a smilie suitably bad for the expression I wish to convey here.

auntierozzi
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:43 PM
You poor thing Marrers..I wonder if there is anything you could put on it to protect it in the meantime. Is there a chemists near you that might be able to advise?
I hope that it doesn't ruin your weekend.

Heartsease
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Marrers ~ Iym gonna recommend something that is readily available and usually very effective (for me particularly) ...butt it's also unpopular (I recommend this treatment to everyone!).... CHEW RAW GARLIC.:eek:
I LOVE garlic butt even I fynd chewing chunks of it raw a bit yuksome....butt...it always wurks really quickly for me with any kynd of infection that's threatening to grabbify me...

Goooooood luck!:)

Enchantress
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:45 PM
:( I'm so sorry to hear that, Marrers. How infuriating.

Marrers
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
You are a star auntierozzi - why do I always forget about the emergancy filling material I brought for emergancies til someone else says something like "can't you use chewing gum to protect it"! I'm going to get it from the cupboard now.

I'll bear the garlic in mind too and bring some clove oil away with me just in case.

Heartsease
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Whooooooops...I think my reply wuz a bit mis-thymed :o
Hee hee...I really shud concentrate more....:p

Marrers
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Were you replying to the first post Heartsease? Well your advice could still come in handy!

auntierozzi
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Excellent to have that in your cupboard Marrers!! Lucky you remembered it before you set off. Now you can enjoy your weekend but I would stay away from any peanut brittle just incase...

RedWellies
Apr 13th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Maybe have them all removed and go for dentures?