PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Planet

EFCliz
Feb 21st, 2007, 10:59 AM
My copy of this just arrived. Does anyone have any recommendations about what to try from it? It's huge!

piper
Mar 14th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I know this is a little late and I'm sure you've discovered all kinds of yummy recipes in your cookbook but I thought I'd let you know about the 3 yummy ones I just tried.
Last night I made the summertime tomato sauce, so so so so so so good! I made the irish soda bread a couple nights ago. I've never had soda bread before so I'm not sure how it compared to the non-vegan kind but my non-vegan soda bread loving friend liked it. The recipe says it's best on the day it's prepared but I had a few slices left a couple days later and it was fine. I made the chocolate chip cookies and they were loved by all. Even my little neighbor girl who turns her nose up and everything I make and pronounces it "weird". ( as a side note, I tricked her into eating tofu sticks by calling them cheese sticks and she loved them. :p She even wants me to make them again)

pavotrouge
Jun 29th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I finally bought it, too... wanted to buy it when I was in London last time but had to remember the weight of my suitcase =)

Anyway, I've flicked through it and a lot of recipes sound great... but it's just... soooo much info and so many recipes, quite a vegan bible!!!

eclectic_one
Oct 31st, 2007, 11:01 PM
I rated this book "good," though I personally think it has it's good and bad points. Many of the recipes are fairly "drab," so I found myself adding spices or ingredients to make them closer to "fab." Some of the desserts are just downright boring, but now I'm comparing them to the likes of vegan cupcakes:p Because the book is so huge, I have found some recipes I like, but like I said, most I still had to make my "own" in one way or another to like them. I doubt I'll use the dessert section again (esp. since I have the vegan cupcakes cookbook, La Dolce Vegan with quite a few yummy cookies, etc), as I have yet to find one that was worth the effort.

xwitchymagicx
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I ordered this.

Even though I said I'd get no more cookbooks! lol

pavotrouge
Nov 16th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I always say that...:rolleyes:

jaime-lynn
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:49 PM
I love Vegan Planet, I really love to make homemade soups. My favorite soups from this book are:

Tusan White Bean Soup
Roasted Corn Chower
Sherry Laced Garlic Soup

The Balsamic Viniagrette with Sun Dried Tomatoes is excellent over mixed greens with some diced tomato and toasted pine nuts.

jaime-lynn
Nov 16th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Great, now I'm hungry again...

RubyDuby
Nov 16th, 2007, 11:39 PM
the cc cookies and shepards pie are bomb (i repeat myself a lot :))

Darky_
Dec 23rd, 2007, 01:50 AM
I ordered this recently and it should be on its way....I am really excited now and especally because you said it was huge...I was hoping for huge. I LOVE big fat shiny new informative books!!!! lol Thank you for this thread! x

:D hehe

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 24th, 2007, 12:36 AM
oooh la la la la la. one of my favorites. good soups & stews, pancakes, faux tuna, chicken & egg salads, potato bread, olive bread, molasses & walnut bread, kid's foods, pan bagna sandwich, fried green tomato sandwiches, caramelized onion tart, stuffed vegetables, shepherd's pie (i use vege sausage crumbles mixed with the crumbled vegeburgers), pastitsio, faux choron sauce & vegan bechamel

Kitteh
Aug 19th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I'm resurrecting this thread because I recently borrowed Vegan Planet from my local library and so far I love it!

I made the African Sweet Potato Stew which is fantastic and I am looking forward to trying the Faux Tuna Sandwich Filling as well as the Ginger-scented Vegetable pot stickers :)

RubyDuby
Aug 19th, 2009, 06:10 PM
highly recommend both the tunaless and chickenless salads. mmm

Kitteh
Aug 20th, 2009, 12:32 AM
There are two different ones? I'll have to have another look in the book! I think I'd prefer chickenless or eggless salad as I don't want it to taste fishy (I would leave out the kelp in the tunaless salad)

trailvegan19
Aug 20th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I love vegan planet! The sweet potato and pea somosas are awesome. Lots of great recipes in there.

RubyDuby
Aug 21st, 2009, 12:24 PM
mmm, samosas. are they easy to make?

There are two different ones? I'll have to have another look in the book! I think I'd prefer chickenless or eggless salad as I don't want it to taste fishy (I would leave out the kelp in the tunaless salad)

they have all 3 recipes. I leave the kelp out too.

trailvegan19
Aug 21st, 2009, 04:40 PM
The somosas are pretty easy but they do take some time. I would also increase the amount of dough by half to make them easier to stuff.:D

Kitteh
Aug 22nd, 2009, 01:37 AM
I'm making some cashew based mayo now so that for lunch I can have the tuna/eggless salad!

I deffo want to make the samosas too

RubyDuby
Aug 22nd, 2009, 01:26 PM
which one? :D

there's tunaless (made with chick peas), eggless (made with tofu) and my favorite is the chickenless (made with tempeh).

Kitteh
Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:05 AM
I did the tunaless salad minus the kelp, used the cashew based mayo I made and had it on gf bread with lettuce, yum!

Linxie
Jan 4th, 2010, 10:43 AM
My boyfriend's aunt and uncle bought me this for Xmas, I was so pleased. What a nice surprise! I am going to make the sweet potato and black bean enchiladas tomorrow night :)

wendy
Jan 4th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Could someone please e-mail me the vegan tuna recipe?
My boyfriend loves tunasalad and I would love to be able to convince him to eat vegan tuna salad.

Linxie
Jan 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I am going to make the sweet potato and black bean enchiladas tomorrow night :)

I can report that I made these and they were delicious. My omni boyfriend loved them too!