PDA

View Full Version : What did your Vegan Child/ren Eat Today?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

cedarblue
Jan 18th, 2006, 05:46 PM
can i post here?

my daughter is veggie but heres what she ate vegan today

br; apple juice, dry-fried mushroom toasted sandwich
carob coated raisins
d; roast courgettes, scallions, mushrooms, celery, peppers with fries. juice

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 24th, 2006, 04:31 PM
You're child is so very lucky to have you as a mother CC! I would love to cross hemispheres to be indulged in nutritious cooking and talk about food at your house!! What a pleasure that would be!

I'm hungry after looking in this thread.

Thanks! That makes me feel like a proud Mommy :)

Cedar, please do jump in and share what vegan things your little one enjoys ;)

Today for The Child, Blake

'Lazy Tamale Pie'= 1 1/2 cups of casserole with corn tortillas, pinto beans, brown rice, corn, roasted tomatoes and chiles, jarred salsa, 'sour cream' and 'cheese' with nutritional yeast (so easy, so good especially on a cold morning).

To school: (I said, 'Sorry, Blake. No veggies today at lunch :o .' To which she replied, 'That's okay, it's a protein day.' :D She'll get her veggies later ;) )

1 16.9 oz. water bottle, to be refilled at least once

1 4 oz. container apple sauce

1 banana

1 small box apple juice with vitamin C

2 oz. mixed nuts (pecans, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, almonds and cashews)

1 Cliff Z-bar

4 mini whole wheat pitas

5 oz. hummus

After school, on the way to practice:

1 1/2 c. Kale and white beans with Udo's Blend Oil and Nutritional Yeast

Back at home:

10 oz. water

Evening meal:

1 1/2 cups soup of bok choy, napa cabbage, onions, garlic, carrots, leeks, black beans, corn, spices and coconut oil

2 T. pepita pesto with 1 cup whole wheat spirals, 1/2 cup spinach and 1/4 cup peas

Later:

10 oz. water

1 cup Vitasoy complete with 1/2 cup chocolate sorbet, 2 T herbal coffee substitute and 1 T. cocoa powder

Did you know 1 T. of cocoa powder has as much antioxidants as a serving of blueberries? :D

Yoggy
Jan 24th, 2006, 07:42 PM
They make chocolate sorbet??? I MUST find some!

RockyRaccoon
Jan 24th, 2006, 10:48 PM
MiniRaccoon, aged 9-

Yesterday
Breakfast: Multigrain cereal bar
Banana, chocolate, fortified soya milk smoothie
Orange juice

Snack: Grapes

Dinner: Cheatin Ham and cucumber granary sandwich
Aplro Fruit soya yoghurt
4 pieces 'milk' chocolate
Apple juice

Snack: Apple

Tea: Linda Mc sausages, mashed potato, baked beans
Homemade cake and soya custard
Water

Supper: Fortified Alpro chocolate milkshake

Tigerlily
Jan 24th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Did you know 1 T. of cocoa powder has as much antioxidants as a serving of blueberries? :D

:D Excellent! Lately I've been enjoying a nice cup of chocolate rather than my black tea. I'm glad to know it's not only yummier but healthier!

Yoggy
Jan 31st, 2006, 12:53 AM
bump! ;)

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 31st, 2006, 02:56 AM
:D

Not a lot of variety today :S Oh well, it's what I had in the house!

Today for The Child, Blake

1 sprouted grains, lentils and carrot pita bread with 5 slices tofu "bacon" and 2 T. hummus

To school:

1 16.9 oz. water bottle, to be refilled at least once

1 4 oz. container apple sauce

1 small box apple juice with vitamin C

5 oz. hummus (made with chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic and Goddess dressing :D )

2 sprouted grains, lentils and carrot pita breads

1 cup of chopped romaine and spinach

1 Cliff Z-bar

5 oz. hummus

1 cup homemade seitan

1/2 cup whole wheat pasta with 1/2 cup basil marinara and 1/2 cup broccoli

Back at home:

1 1/2 cups salad of red, orange and yellow baby pear tomatoes with romaine, spinach, shredded beets, 2 T. walnuts and 1 T. lemon garlic dressing

Evening meal:

1 c. homemade seitan

1 cup whole wheat pasta and white beans with 1 cup basil marinara and 1 cup broccoli and 2 tsp. nutritional yeast

Later:

10 oz. water

1 cup calcium-fortified orange juice

Tigerlily
Jan 31st, 2006, 03:41 AM
Does Blake pee a lot? I could never drink that much liquid without peeing my pants!

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 31st, 2006, 03:53 AM
Well, I don't really count and I'm not with her 24/7, but when I think about the times I *am* with her more than she's away, I suppose she pees when she wakes up, twice at school, once after school at practice, again at home and once again maybe...maybe 6 times a day?

She *needs* to drink that much, she's active, sweating a lot in dance class, PE and in general a very busy little girl who needs lots of fluids (mostly water). Also, she's only 12 (soon to be 13 ;) ) but she is adult-sized, nearly 5 feet 5 inches tall with a size 9 foot.

Peas'nHominy
Jan 31st, 2006, 04:43 AM
... Also, she's only 12 (soon to be 13 ;) ) but she is adult-sized, nearly 5 feet 5 inches tall with a size 9 foot.

Wow! She's taller than me! :D

Litsea
Jan 31st, 2006, 05:14 AM
For Paul, age 2 yr, 3 mo.:

Breakfast:
3 adult-size chocolate banana walnut pancakes (requesting these almost every day now!)
1 cup chocolate soy milk

Snacks today included: Cliff Zbar, mixed nuts, dried apricots, can't remember if he had a snow pea from the garden

Lunch:
1 slice of sour pecan bread with ~2 Tbsp peanut butter and ~ 1 1/2 Tbsp whole fruit blackberry spread
a few baby carrots with some dressing
~1/2 pear

Dinner:
1 taco--organic taco shell with 2 Tbsp shredded lettuce, 1 Tbsp cheddar veganrella and 3 Tbsp filling (onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomato, black beans, tvp, chilies, broth) --he loved the tacos!
chips and guacamole (finger-licking good, apparently :))
about 3/4 cup cherries (he kept calling them grapes... LOL)

Seems a bit light on the veggies and I forgot the vitamin and flaxseed today. :(:o I think I need to make some hummus again... we go through that quickly when I make it! (And it's great for making veggie sandwiches for lunch that my son will eat.)

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 5th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Peas, she *is* pretty tall for her age! A great example of a healthy vegan!

Litsea, you feed a nice variety of food to Paul! He has a good appetite for a toddler :)

Today, I am with Blake all day and so can post what she's eating :)

2 cups tamale pie with corn tortillas, black and pinto beans, faux chorizo, shredded yukon gold potatoes, corn, tomatillo and green chile salsa, tomato sauce, sliced black olives, onions, garlic, spices and served with nutritional yeast and 2 T. shredded vegan cheese

2 cups steamed broccoli with 1 cup white beans, spices and 1 tsp. coconut oil

1 cup baby carrots

1 cup pineapple

2 cups smoothie of hazelnut milk, blueberries, cherries and 1 T. ground flax

2 cups soup of napa cabbage, onions, garlic, potatoes, black beans, tomatoes, purple cabbage, quinoa and spices served with 2 tsp. nutritional yeast and 2 tsp. Udo's Blend Oil

1/2 oz. dark chocolate with cacao nibs

40 oz. water, throughout the day

1 sublingual B-12, 2 "Bone Support" capsules and 4 kids chewable vegan gummy vitamins (4 is a serving)

RockyRaccoon
Feb 8th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Miniraccoon, age 9

Breakfast: Apple breakfast square, chocolate banana smoothie, orange juice.

Snack: Piece of fruit (not sure which, 20p from the school fruit stall).

Dinner: Cheatin' ham sandwich on granary bread, soya yoghurt, mini breadsticks dipped in chocolate spread, a pear, apple juice.

Snack: Banana. Apple juice.

Tea: Wholewheat pasta with pasta sauce from a jar, broccoli, carrots, black olives and parmazano. Scotch pancakes (thanks Cherry for the recipe, your site is brilliant!) drizzled with maple syrup and a scoop of swedish glace vanilla icecream. Water

Litsea
Feb 9th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Litsea, you feed a nice variety of food to Paul! He has a good appetite for a toddler :)
Thanks! It's nice to read that from a nutritionist! And, I always love seeing what you feed Blake... gives me ideas sometimes.

Well, today Paul did not seem very hungry, but here goes! He took a bad fall on Monday and earned his first two stitches in his forehead. :(

Breakfast:
~1/2 cup multigrain hot cereal with fortified rice milk, raisins, walnuts, dry sweetener, ground flaxseed, cinnamon
~1/2 cup chocolate fortified rice milk
1 Soloray multi vitamin
he requested peanut butter, so 3 tbsp of that by the time he was finished

Snacks today: some nut and seed trail mix, two snow peas and some spinach stolen from the garden, one agave stick, and 1 square of organic chocolate while we watched Willy Wonka! :)

Lunch:
~2 tbsp hummus with some flaxseed oil in it
~1/4 of a whole wheat pita
he didn't touch the salad

Dinner:
-two spoonfuls of sweet potato soup (was posted in the forums recently--used soy milk and broth instead of coconut milk)
-he didn't touch the kale with carmalized shallots
~2 tbsp of dark red kidney beans with a little cajun seasoning
~5-6 tbsp of polenta studded with corn and green chili (made with broth and soymilk) --he loved the "corn bread", as he called it! Geez, his FATHER even went for seconds on the polenta, and he doesn't even like polenta!

Tomorrow will have to be a peas, carrots and broccoli day... he didn't eat many veggies today. :rolleyes:

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 9th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Wow...Hope Paul's feeling better soon!

Today, Here's what Blake had:

1 sprouted grains, lentils and carrot pita with avocado, romaine, nutritional yeast and ume

10 oz. orange juice

To school:

1 sprouted grains, lentils and carrot pita with avocado, romaine, nutritional yeast and ume

1 cup baby carrots

1 tangelo

1 Cliff-Z Bar

1 oz. rippled chips

1 orange

12 cashews

At home:

1 sprouted grains tortilla filled with black beans, avocado, romaine lettuce, roma tomato and habanero salsa

1/2 cup roasted mashed potatoes, cauliflower, onions and garlic with spinach, corn, soy milk, nutritional yeast and ume

1 coconut ice pop

1 sublingual B-12

Water throughout the day (I'm not sure how much but at least 5 glasses)

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 10th, 2006, 04:01 AM
Well, it's a teenaged day :rolleyes:

2 slices apple spice and fiber bread with coconut cream and maple butter

10 oz. pomegranate and blueberry juice

1 orange

1 Cliff-Z Bar

3 1/2 corn shell tacos with black beans, rice, guacamole, hot salsa and romaine lettuce

1 oz. corn tortilla chips with 1 T. each hot salsa and guacamole

10 oz. soy milk with Caffix (herbal coffee substitute) and mint cocoa

2 cups broccoli and white beans with garlic, flax oil, nutritional yeast and ume

5 glasses of water throughout the day

1 sublingual B-12 and 3 calcium/magnesium/zinc/Vitamin D capsules

Tigerlily
Feb 10th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Yummy!

treehugga
Feb 11th, 2006, 10:23 AM
All your kids eat so well puts my 4 year old to shame. The most health things he eats are various fruits and avocados. Any advice appreciated on how to feed a fussy eater.

Today he ate:

toast & vegemite
some orange
raspberries
canteloupe(rockmelon)
carrots
spinach pastie.

And this was a good day.

I am a health nut and have always tried him with d/t things but find he is becoming more and more restrictive about what he will eat. HELP :eek:

Tigerlily
Feb 11th, 2006, 10:04 PM
If you want to get him to eat more veggies, maybe you can offer them in kid-pleasing sauces and dips? Like broccoli with a nutritional yeast based cheezy sauce, raw veggies dipped in vegan ranch or a vegan "mayo-like" sauce, lightly steamed bok choy (the most mild of the leafy greens in my opinion) with a garlic-lemon sauce...

treehugga
Feb 12th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Yes he does like dips - thank goodness. But there's no way he will eat chopped up veggies with them I've tried. He only likes dips with vege chips (a type of crisp style chip) or crackers. :(

Today his diet has been too dismal to even mention on here.

Litsea
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:25 AM
My son likes veggies, so I don't know that I can offer you much... but, I've heard that sometimes if you just leave little veggie plates around where your little one is with some dip that eventually they'll start eating them. :confused:

I've even managed to have my son (2 yrs old) try something new with the old "I'll let you leave the table if you just take one bite of ______________." I figure if he likes it, he'll come back. He doesn't always, but it's worth a shot.

treehugga
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Yes I use that trick of just have a try and then you can leave the table/have dessert or whatever. It works with things he will 'just tolerate' but others like broccoli. cauli, peas etc he will blankly refuse or just spit them out.
I think I just need to be patient and keep encouraging him and he may improve with age :)

Litsea
Feb 14th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Hmmm... I don't know if you have the space for it, but have you tried having him help with growing a garden with you? My son is delighted with our garden and constantly 'steals' bits of spinach and snow peas lately for snacks. I'm planning on having him grow some green beans and sunflowers this year (and I know he'll attack the strawberries and grapes!). I've read that if they grow it themselves, sometimes kids are more likely to eat veggies.

Also, I let my son choose which veggies he has at meals (most of the time). --For example: "would you like peas, broccoli, spinach or salad?" When I do this, he almost always eats what he requested. Try having him pick out veggies at the store to try for dinner... that might encourage him too. If he feels as though he has some control he may be more open to eating them. :confused:

I was reading in one of my books the other day that you can sneak avocado and cooked carrots into fruit smoothies. I've done the avocado and didn't notice any odd flavors. That might be worth a try.

treehugga
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Avocado is actually one of the few green things he will eat so I don't have to sneak it in.

The other stuff he just refuses.

We can't grow veg here unfortunatly as we live out in the dry aussie bush and hardly have enough tank water for outselves.

We do grow some herbs and things in pots.

I'm just concerned as he used to eat a better variety but is now becoming quite restrictive with his choices.

I feel like he will soon just be existing on air.

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I am a health nut and have always tried him with d/t things but find he is becoming more and more restrictive about what he will eat. HELP :eek:
Find things he *will* eat that have the nutrients he needs and keep offering things he has refused in the past. Do *not* 'bribe' or use food as a reward! Setting up the idea of 'good' vs 'bad' food isn't a good idea. Keep offering nutritious foods and eventually he'll eat them!

Offer the dips he likes with any vegies or fruits he will eat as well as ones he doesn't usually enjoy, keeping the crisps and crackers out of the mix altogether. Firmly tell him that it's not time for those foods, that it;s time for *these* foods (the ones you are presenting). Keep the foods that have little nutrition out of the house or at the very least out of sight! Follow up with supplementation as insurance, if you are concerned about his nutrition.

I apologise that I cannot remember how old he is :o please tell me and I'll be more detailed if you'd like :)

Don't lose faith! You are doing a great job!