PDA

View Full Version : What did your Vegan Child/ren Eat Today?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Here's what my Daughter (she's 13 now!) had yesterday:

3/4 cup baked tater tots with 1/3 cup fresh salsa

2 slices kalamata olive bread with 2 T. avocado-miso-jalapeno olive spread

2 cups kale with green beans, garlic and carmelized onions with 1/2 T. miso and nutritional yeast and spices

3 slices seeded sourdough bread with 1/2 cup marinara sauce and 1 T. nutritional yeast

6 peices tempura (baked) vegetables (taro, green beans, zucchini, carrot, sugar snap pea, onion)

1 cup green tea noodles

2 cups asparagus, broccoli, carrots, onion, garlic

2 oz. tofu and many, many spices

1 T. sesame seeds and nutritional yeast in a flavorful, lemony-ginger broth

2 cups grapefruit juice

1 cup rice milk

1 oz. dark chocolate with cacao nibs

6 glasses water

1 sublingual B-12

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 19th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Today (she may have more and if so, I'll add it on)

2 large slices banana bread (we're calling it cake but it's really bread :p)
1 mug herbal tea, women's formula and 1/4 cup rice milk

1 cup red lentils with 1/2 cup peas with nutritional yeast, lemon and curry spices

2 cups broccoli, steamed then mashed with onion powder, lemon and nutritional yeast in 2 sprouted grains tortillas with 1/2 an avocado and 1 cup black beans

1 cup cranberry-pomegranate juice

2 cups fruit salad of cherimoya, green apple, tangelo, tangerine, currants, cranberries and 2 T. lemon juice with 1/2 cup soy yogurt, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 T. agave nectar, 1/3 tsp. each cinnamon and ginger and 1 T. each ground flax, sunflower seeds and almond meal

Individual casserole: 1/2 cup arugula "pesto" with 2 slices seeded sourdough bread, torn and 1/3 cup marinara sauce

1 cup raw baby carrots with 1/3 cup arugula pesto

6 glasses water

1 sublingual B-12 and 3 calcium-magnesium-zinc-D capsules

treehugga
Feb 22nd, 2006, 04:38 AM
Connor is 4.

We don't really have bad for you foods in the house. Mainly fruit and veg etc.

I buy 1 small pkt of veg chips once a fortnight as a special treat instead of junk like other kids seem to eat.

I do try not to do the good food bad food thing. But occasionally out of desperation I have done this and it has worked. I make a fuss of him when he eats well. He does enjoy a lot of fruit.

My older son was the same and now he's 20 and eats every type of fruit and veg imaginable and has grown up to be fit and healthy.

Some people believe children choose the foods they need but I do worry about the lack of variety.

I do continue to always ofer him lots of different things even those he says he doesn't like, in the hope he will like them.

There's no way he will eat raw chopped veg. :)

akaredarcher
Feb 22nd, 2006, 04:47 AM
Today (she may have more and if so, I'll add it on) 2 cups fruit salad of cherimoya, green apple, tangelo, tangerine, currants, cranberries

I had to look up what a 'cherimoya' is. Thanks for sparking my interest and helping me learn about a new fruit! That fruit salad sounds yummy :p

Diana
akaredarcher

treehugga
Feb 22nd, 2006, 04:51 AM
Today has been really grim. We went out with my mother and I'm embarrassed to say what he's eaten. My mother's idea of healthy food consists of anything chocolatey, sugary or deep fried :eek: .

My mother filled him with junk. And yes I hear you asking why did you let her do this? It was when I wasn't with them :mad: .

So dinner will consist of a healthy array of fruit etc:
rockmelon
avocado
banana
dates
sunflower seeds and whatever else healthy is existing in the fridge.

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 26th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Treehugga, please don'tbe embarrassed! It's important to have less than perfect days here as an example of the wide variety fo vegan meals for children :)

Today was my Daughter's 13th birthday party that had been postponed due to my car accident :o and it was a completely "teenaged" day :rolleyes: On the plus side, we brought "organic healthier junk food" with us into the Bowling Alley :)

She had breakfast with my Sister and so I don't have exact details about her AM meal:

Pancakes (whole grain, buckwheat and flax) with maple syrup and Earth Balance, juice and "sausages"

At the "Party":

2 Blue Sky Sodas :eek:
1 1/2 oz. potato chips
4 "Newman's O's" cookies

Later, at home:

3 cups of pasta mix (whole wheat rotini, chcikpeas, peas, green beans, marinara sauce, black olives and spices)

2 slices chocolate-almond-cheese-mousse pie with a chocolate cookie crust

60 ounces of water throughout the day

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 26th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I had to look up what a 'cherimoya' is. Thanks for sparking my interest and helping me learn about a new fruit! That fruit salad sounds yummy :p

Diana
akaredarcher
:) It *was* really great! I may have to make one again today!

Tigerlily
Feb 26th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Mmm Blue Sky is good, but they don't sell it here. :(

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 26th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Mmm Blue Sky is good, but they don't sell it here. :(
Her friends loved it! They said it tasted just like the 'regular' stuff :p But then one of the girls went and bought a 'Rockstar' (a energy drink that's like liquid speed :eek: and is illegal to sell to underagers) and I was *horrified* :( Oh well, baby steps, right :o ?

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 26th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Today, A Lazy Sunday at home :)

2 Hempseed and flax waffles with crushed peanuts and 1 very small slice chocolate-almond-cheese-mousse pie with a chocolate cookie crust

2 small plates full of potato pancake/fritatta (so delicious, with spinach, almond meal, yukon gold potatoes, shallots, tofu and 12 other ingredients!)

12 oz. blueberry juice

^^all of that by 1pm and the rest spread throughout the day and evening:

1/2 lb. baby carrots

1/2 cup spinach-arugula pesto with 1 cup brown rice pasta and spices

2 cups broccoli with 2 T. lemon juice and 1 T. Udo's Blend Oil

2 oranges and 6 Brazil nuts

2 cups blackbean and veggie polenta pie (tomatoes, carrots, celery, onions, jalapenos, garlic, corriander, black beans, polenta and 12-veggie juice)

60 oz. water

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 28th, 2006, 04:31 PM
It's actually rainy here today :eek: and I wish I had a Thermos to keep soup hot for my little Sweetie!

Oh well, she'll get a 'Summer' lunch instead :o

At home:

2 slices 'apple spice and fiber' bread (5 grams of fiber per slice!) with 2 T. delicious almond-tahini-coconut-maple spread

1 cup (1/2 and 1/2 of each) of Silk Coffee and Westbrae Plain soymilk mix

To School:

1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced and dusted with Celtic sea salt

1 cup baby carrots

1 cup mixed baby tomatoes

1 tangerine

2 slices whole grain sourdough bread with 1/3 an avocado, 1 T. stoneground mustard and 5 thin slices Tofurkey

16.9 oz. bottle of water, refilled once at school

Before practice/after school: (Here's the soup! ;) )

2 cups black bean, corn, quinioa, carrot, celery, jalapeno, onion, shallot, leek, tomato, spinach and many spices 'soup' (more like a stew or chili really) with 1 serving flax corn bread crumbled inside and 1 T. nutritional yeast mixed in

Back at home:

12 oz. water

1 cup soup of black bean, corn, quinioa, carrot, celery, jalapeno, onion, shallot, leek, tomato, spinach and many spices with 1 serving flax corn bread crumbled inside and 1 T. nutritional yeast mixed in

1 cup steamed broccoli with 1 T. lemon juice and 2 tsp. Udo's Blend Oil

8 oz. water

2 whole grain and flax banana blueberry mini-muffins and 1 cup soymilk

insubordination
Mar 1st, 2006, 11:01 AM
Your daughter eats so well with so much variety. Her peer would be envious if they knew. It's giving me lots of ideas.

cherimoya

Haven't eaten one in years. Can't find them in Australia. Lived in South America for a time and not only can you buy it fresh, but you also find it as a yoghurt flavour and cherimoya filled chocolate (those being non-vegan. I was a vegetarian then).

VeganMoominGirl
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Hi, just discovered this thread (not been a member long), and its ACE! Concious Cuisine your kids eat FANTASTICALLY! I'm the UK so I'm not always sure about certain product brands you mention, but I get the general idea :D My l'il babaloo is only 15 months and not vegan - he's
vegetarian (looooong story, involving compromise with my DP), but he does have vegan days, like yesterday:

First thing after waking up:

DODO!!! (his word for breastfeeding) - a full feed, both sides. He's just started sleeping for longer periods at night and wakes up in the morning extremely hungry lol!

Breakfast:

Live soya yogurt and fresh blueberries with banana.
Oatmeal made with rice milk.
Sunflower seed and rye bread with soya spread and whole tahini.

Midmorning: Dodo.

Latemorning: More dodo ;)

Lunch:

Lentil and tomato stew, with steamed broccoli.
Rye cracker with peanut butter.
A whole pear (!)
1 beaker of filtered water.

Late afternoon: Dodo and banana.

Dinner:

Porcini risotto with spinach and nutritional yeast
flakes.
Red berry oatcakes and live soya yogurt.
1 beaker of filtered water.

Bedtime: Dodo.

Sometime after midnight, he also woke once for a full feed.

I have to add here that he is going through a major growth spurt at the moment and is really filling out. He doesn't always eat like this, but as he's still breastfeeding I don't worry at all. He has always been long and lean and a trouble to the Health Visitor as he's *technically* underweight
according to her bloody charts lol! He's a very happy and healthy kid though, which I think says more about his wellbeing than a growth chart.

Hannah xxx

treehugga
Mar 3rd, 2006, 01:51 AM
WOW your bub eats more than my 4 year old. You must be proud of such a great appetite.

Today Connor has eaten:
1 slice toast with pasta basil and garlic sauce
choc mousse (a la Nanna) I have now told her it's a banned substance.
crackers and hommous dip
fruit snacks

For dinner he will have vegan pizza -homemade.

Drinks today
Apricot juice and water

akaredarcher
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:05 AM
Have all your children stopped eating? :eek: Only kidding - busy parents excused!

Diana
akaredarcher

treehugga
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:02 AM
No. But my husband is away on training so I'm doing all the childcare. No time for computer. However I've sneaked 1/2 an hour today.

Connor has eaten:
oatmeal and soy milk with taost and peanut butter
peanut butter sandwich
various fruits
good for you muffin
mashed potato, carrots, peas and spinach pastie.

VeganMoominGirl
Mar 12th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Oz had:
1/2 Banana.
Peanut butter on toast.

Spicey, scrambled tofu.
Steamed chard.

Ginger cookies.

1/2 banana
small bunch of grapes.

handful of kidney beans in tomato sauce
lentil and olive salad (mostly on the floor :D )

Corn craker with spread.

Plus the usual breastfeeds.

princessemma
Mar 12th, 2006, 09:41 PM
My daughter was with my mother today and her diet was awful;

Breakfast (at home) Rice Snaps and soya milk, wholemeal toast and marmite

Snack (at home) apple

Lunch (with my mum) Chips in a pub, fruit shoots and some of my sisters coke!!!:mad: Dark chocolate

Dinner (at home) refused it, they brought her home late and unfed

Snack (at home) 2 slices of malt loaf, pkt raisins

This is the same person who complained about her not getting enough nutrients in a vegan diet. She had only 1-2 servings of fruit and no vegetables. At home she has at least 2-3 servings of fruit and 2-3 servings of vegetables. I make sure she has lots of soya milk for calcium.

VeganMoominGirl
Mar 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Oz (16 months) had:

Half a mango.
Half a kiwi.
Live soya yogurt with tahini and blackstrap molasses.
1/4 slice of wholegrain toast with spread.
1 cup soya milk.

Half a banana.
1/4 slice of wholegrain toast with houmous and avocado oil.
A handful of black olives.
Two slices of grilled aubergine.
1 cup filtered water

I cup of seared tofu chunks with harissa paste.
Half a banana.
1 cup of broad beans, carrots, peas, french beans and sweetcorn.
Live soya yogurt with tahini and molasses.
1 cup of apple juice diluted with filtered water.

We spent 2.5 hours toddling on the common, which may explain the massive food intake!
Hannah xxx

treehugga
Mar 15th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I hear ya PrincessEmma. My mother is exactly the same!:eek: .

Today Connor has had:

wholebran cereal :)
roll and nuttela :eek: at friends house
watermelon
pkt chips :eek: at friends house
advocado and basil pesto pasta

VeganMoominGirl
Mar 15th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Today Oz ate:

Some wholewheat raisin splits with soya milk.
1 pear
Soya yogurt, tahini and molasses.
Water.

Oatcakes with spread.
Soya milk.
1/4 piece of bread with peanut butter.

1/2 Pitta bread with silken tofu/miso spread.
1/2 kidney bean, nut and seed burger with sun-dried tomato spread.
Small heap of grated carrot and chopped yellow pepper.

Hannah xxx

Bunny
Mar 17th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Hannah:

What do you do with the tahini, yogurt and molasses? I am very new to this and bought a huge jar of blackstrap molasses and have no idea what to do with them! Is it the same as black treacle?

Also, in my tired delirium I thought you had fed Oz 1/2 a kidney bean! I was thinking "what?????!!!"... must sleep soon :)

VeganMoominGirl
Mar 18th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Bunny lol! I must use punctuation more accurately lol! 1/2 a kidney bean, poor little mite!
I make a mixture of four tablespoons of soya yogurt, one tablespoon of tahini, and one tablespoon of balckstrap molasses. Its great for calcium from the tahini, plus iron and other inerals from the molasses. If you use live soya yog, you get the added benefits of that too. I love it and I'm introducing it to oz now too. It's an aquired taste for some. Molasses is also good to dissolve in a glass of fresh orange juice - the iron is more easily absorbed when taken with the vit c from the orange.

Bunny
Mar 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I see! Thanks for that Hannah... I suppose I could open the jar now :)

VeganMoominGirl
Mar 19th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Today Oz ate:

Soya yogurt with stewed apple and blueberry puree.
Rye crackers with spread and Tahini.
1 tbsp of peanut butter.

Cup of kiwi, banana, passionfruit and spirulina smoothie.
1 slice of grilled aubergine.
1 slice of grilled red pepper.
1 slice of grilled tomato.

Slice of wholegrain bread with yeast extract.
1/2 kiwi.
Cucumber sticks with tofu dip

Plus the usual breastfeeds