PDA

View Full Version : what do you put in your falafel wraps?

triona.d.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM
hi guys! i've bought some falafels and some tortilla wraps and i want to make falafel wraps for my lunch. just wondered what others put in along with falafels? so far i'm thinking vegan mayo, tomato, maybe some lettuce, possibly avocado but none of it seems quite right...any ideas?
thanks! tri

Smoothie
Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
hummous, cucumber, tomatoes, garlic oil, red onions - thats what i use in mine. og yeah, and sometimes ketchup - it's sooo good

Tigerlily
Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Pickles
Pickled turnip called lift (find this in a Middle Eastern grocery store)
Tahini sauce (tahini with lemon juice and thinned out with water, this is important to an authentic falafel wrap)
Hot peppers (if you like)

Risker
Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:54 PM

zorbed
Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
I normally just spread a load of humous on before rolling. Sometimes lettuce/spinach and sliced tommato.

And you need to make a cup of strong, black coffee for after! :D

Oh, and it is much better with actual middle eastern flatbread if you can find any.

triona.d.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
thanks guys - i definately like the idea of red/raw onions and spinach too.

tigerlilly - what sort of proportions do you use to make the tahini sauce? that's EXACTLY what i wanted - the falafel van/stall here uses that but i don't know how to make it from the thick tahini i have in a jar in my fridge....
thanks! tri

Tigerlily
Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
I don't measure it out, sorry. But a few spoonfuls of tahini, lemon juice to taste (a few squirts to half a lemon), and if it's still too thick, just add a little bit of water.

aubergine
Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:45 PM
I do mine like this:

Houmous or Guacamole
Strong lettuce
Tomato
Cucumber

Simple but effective.

triona.d.
Feb 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
thanks all - will be trying this out hopefully for lunch tomorrow. if not, will have to wait til i'm home again next weekend :-( will let you know what i use and how it is! happy veganising, tri

insubordination
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:53 AM
I'm partial to the traditional (tabouli, hommous, tomato, onion) but I like avocado, grated carrot, eggplant (buy if it's too hard to make), artichoke hearts and olives. I also like paprika/red pepper/capsicum spread. Such as awesome meal can be made with bread and falafel, can't it?

Glossgirl
Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
vegan cream cheese
lettuce
cucumber
tomatoes
hot sauce

or

mashed with ketchup ....

or

hummous
lettuce
tomatoes
parsley
oliveoil
lemonjuice

bobobodkins
Apr 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM
My favourite is - wholemeal pita bread(not a big fan of wraps), falafels, baby spinach, sundried tomatoes, red peppers, artichoke heart and balsamic vinegar!

veglover89
Apr 12th, 2007, 01:28 PM
onions, mushroom, houmous, falafel and pine-nuts - divine