PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy a dairy free GREEN pesto?

mooli magic
Feb 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I used to add green pesto to a fair few things pre vegan days- soups and on pizza especially. I found Mother Hemp red pesto in Sainsburys and hoped that the green one would be vegan too, but they put CHEESE in it :( I have looked around trying to find another variety on several occasions now, and to no avail...if there's anyone out there that can recommend a brand name to me, and tell me where to get it I will love you forever:D

Ribbon
Feb 24th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Both zest and meridian make vegan green pesto and both are pretty yummy if you ask me :)!ive only ever bought them in independent healthfood shops but holland and barratt might sell it.and if you happen to be anywhere near Croydon i know a shop there that sells it..otherwise all the places i know are in manchester which might be just a little too far ;)

mooli magic
Feb 24th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Hey Ribbon, guess what? I ran a search on Meridian foods to find a stockist in Essex and have found 2- one of them very close to me! Yay!

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!:D

Hopefully they will not conclude that I am a complete and utter nut job if I phone and ask them if they have that particular item in stock- and if they do- how many jars!!

herbwormwood
Feb 24th, 2007, 01:20 PM
There is also Suma
http://www.suma.co.uk/Pestos_css.html

Felece
Feb 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Its very easy and quick to make yourself and it tastes better imo.
Just blend roasted pine nuts, basil, oil and garlic, and add salt and pepper.
(Vegan options in DK are extremely limited, so no vegan pestos, green or red, here)

!!
Feb 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Tescos do some too, on ther freefrom shelf!

twinkle
Feb 24th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Sunita do some, I think - they certainly do a basil paste in oil which has virtually the same effect.

I second the "make it yourself" suggestion as the taste is a lot fresher - you can make a large batch up and then freeze it if necessary (I kept a large amount in the fridge once and not sure if the temperature settings were wrong but it went mouldy pretty quickly).

Cherry
Feb 24th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I like homemade best too, but of the ones in jars I think the Zest is my fave.

mooli magic
Feb 25th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the other suggestions, perhaps I'm just not looking hard enough!

The main reason I don't make it myself (and I have done once before) is because it's sooo expensive to buy so much basil and pine kernels aren't cheap either! Plus, to store it properly you're supposed to cover it with a layer of olive oil, and I can't afford those extra calories at the moment!! Oh, and another reason is that I tend to use it as a convenience food, so spending the time making it wouldn't always be an option. Excuses, excuses lol!

Hemlock
Feb 25th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Our health food shop sells it but to be honest I don't really like it - too many "bits" and really calorific, 600 calories for 100 grams:eek:
I coat my pasta in chopped basil leaves, dry (home) roasted pinenuts, baby spinach, mushrooms and olive oil and it tastes much nicer for far fewer calories.

mooli magic
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Hey, I like that idea Hemlock! A kind of...lazy pesto :)

emmapresley
Feb 26th, 2007, 10:50 PM
that does sound tasty :)

i got some meridian stuff a bit ago and it went mouldy quicker'n i could eat it! :mad: