PDA

View Full Version : Do you check your blood pressure regularly?

auntierozzi
Mar 1st, 2007, 06:51 PM
I heard a programme on R4 yesterday where they said that one of the most important indications of good health is a healthy blood pressure. A doctor suggested that it was more useful for people to be able to check their own blood pressure at home than to regularly weigh themselves. I was wondering if any of you do check yours at home, ever. They were saying that people who had not been to the doctors regularly are sometimes surprized by high blood pressure when they consult for something else..Even though they thought they were pretty much OK and not over-weight.

fiamma
Mar 1st, 2007, 06:57 PM
I never do because I tend to have low blood pressure. I know how to check it though and have a stethoscope and sphygmomanometer (sp.?) at home. I think everyone should learn how to check it, it's very easy once you get the hang of it. Always wise to get checked by a doctor though, I suppose, if you've any doubts. I would beware of those ones that snap on to your wrist, I think they're terribly inaccurate. If they check BP in hospital using the brachial artery (the one at your inside elbow) there's a very good reason I think :) But I'm no doctor and I'm sure no-one in their right mind would take medical advice from me ;)

auntierozzi
Mar 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM
I think that I'm on the low side too but there's a history of high blood pressure in my family.
I worry about my littlest girl who craves salty things...She would have soy sauce on everything if I would let her..

Yoggy
Mar 1st, 2007, 07:41 PM
I get mine checked once a year when I go for my pap test. The nurse who checked it last time was really impressed with how low it was. She asked if I sometimes get dizzy when I stand up, and when I said yes, she said, "Yep, that's your great blood pressure". I think I'm really lucky because high blood pressure tends to run in my family. But then, I'm the only person in my family who cares even a little bit about health :).

absentmindedfan
Mar 1st, 2007, 08:12 PM
Last time I checked it was 110 over 60 I think, with a resting pulse of 60ish.
My BP is so good I'm given the BC pill for 12 months instead of 6 as they don't need to check my blood pressure :)

DancingWillow
Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:25 AM
i never check mine. i've never had any problems with it, thankfully, so i don't feel it's necessary. i think low blood pressure runs in my family anyway, so i'm not really worried about it.

edit: when i go for a dental check-up, my dentist checks it (which i've always wondered why), and it's been fine every time.

hollybee
Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
I worry about my littlest girl who craves salty things...She would have soy sauce on everything if I would let her..

Mine too! She really doesn't like sweets, but for years her all she would eat was pasta or rice with soy sauce.

hollybee
Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
My husband has a monitor at home. He used to check it 3-4 times a day, but got the feeling that it was getting to be obsessive. He only checks it now when he's feeling odd. I check mine occasionally, but it's always fine and my resting heart rate is in the 40's.

Tigerlily
Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:30 PM
Wow, Hollybee. My resting heart rate is int he 90s! :eek:

I never really get mine checked but every pharmacy around here as a little station with an arm cuff, maybe I'll check it next time I'm in a pharmacy.

Gorilla
Mar 2nd, 2007, 04:42 PM
i get my blood pressure checked every time i get a repeat prescription for my BC pill, it's never an issue because i have fairly low blood pressure anyway. in fact when i was off the pill for a couple of years my blood pressure got really low and was almost off the bottom of the scale!

auntierozzi
Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Oh Gorilla! That sounds scary. Hope you are fine now. You look nice in your pic. :-)

Gorilla
Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
thanks auntierozzi, i had to go to hospital for it, but i'm fine now (and thanks for the comment about the pic! i like your pic too!) :)

Roxy
Mar 3rd, 2007, 04:55 AM
I get mine checked once every couple of months when I go to donate blood. I always ask the nurse how it is and she says "it's normal". So that's good I suppose.

Yoggy
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I never really get mine checked but every pharmacy around here as a little station with an arm cuff, maybe I'll check it next time I'm in a pharmacy.

Don't put too much trust in them though; the last few times I checked my blood pressure at the pharmacy, I forget the actual number but it was much higher than my result at the doctor's office, and it said I was in the "concern" range :confused:

hollybee
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Wow, Hollybee. My resting heart rate is int he 90s! :eek:

I've always had a very strong heart, even when I didn't exercise. Now I exercise like a maniac (and love every minute of it:D ), so in the past 3 years it's gone from the 60's down to the 40's.