Pages : [1] 2

Panda
Oct 13th, 2004, 01:09 PM
does anyone know which is better?
unhulled or hulled tahini?
and why?

eve
Oct 13th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Not sure about 'best', but I always buy unhulled - why wouldn't I want the whole sesame? :)

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 13th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Unhulled Sesame has 50% more Calcium, more fiber and protein...;)

Mystic
Oct 14th, 2004, 03:57 AM
I buy unhulled.

Unhulled vs hulled is the same idea as brown vs white rice. Unhulled is a whole seed like brown rice is a wholegrain :)

Panda
Oct 14th, 2004, 11:50 AM
cool thanks, I have unhulled at the moment so that is good.

I have another question about sesame seeds. someone told me that they are Oxalic. Then they sent me this article on Oxalic acid. Should this be a concern with the consumption of sesame seeds? Just wondering, I shouldn't think it would matter because you prob would need to consume a S**T load of them.

Oxalic acid occurs naturally in quite a large number of plants.
The human body also synthesizes oxalic acid from ascorbic acid (Vitamin
C.) Oxalic acid may combine with calcium, iron, sodium, magnesium, or
potassium to form less soluble salts known as oxalates. Oxalates also
occur naturally in plants.
>
> Since oxalic acid binds with important nutrients, making them
inaccessible to the body, regular consumption of large amounts of foods
high in oxalic acid over a period of weeks to months may result in
nutrient deficiencies, most notably of calcium.
>
> Oxalic acid is a strong acid, and is irritating to tissue all by
itself. Extremely high doses are fatal. Oxalates, on the other hand,
form tiny little insoluble crystals with sharp edges, which are also
irritating to tissue. So, high levels of oxalic acid/oxalates in the diet
lead to irritation of the digestive system, and particularly of the
stomach and kidneys. They may also contribute to the formation of kidney
stones (the most common form of kidney stone is composed of calcium
oxalate).

Mystic
Oct 17th, 2004, 02:53 AM
To be perfectly honest, I really don't pay much attention to all that stuff. It confuses me! Iron and calcium cancel each other out, oxylic acid blah blah...it is mind boggling. So I just try to eat nutritious food and hope :) that I am absorbing some nutrition!!!! I just feel that if you eat a highly nutritious diet full of wholegrains, fresh fruits and vegetables, legumes, healthy oils and raw nuts and seeds, you cannot go wrong. (Of course there is also nothing wrong with a little bit of junk here and there too!!!!)

Sorry I haven't been helpful - just crapping on a lot!!! I am bored and procrastinating from doing an assignment on childrens literature.

Anyway, I reckon CC will have the answer to this one. She is awesome!!!!

foxytina_69
Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:10 PM
in the 'raw vegans' thread, there were questions on how to make your own raw tahini.

i found a recipe from this link: http://www.purifymind.com/GlutenFree.htm

if you want it raw, you wouldnt toast the seeds. i imagine making homemade tahini is cheaper?

Tahini
· 4 oz (115g) sesame seeds
· 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
· salt

Toast the seeds for 15 minutes. Blend with the oil until smooth. Variations: substitute sunflower seeds, peanuts, almonds, walnuts or cashews for the seeds.

my3labs
Jul 1st, 2005, 06:00 AM
What's up with Tahini? I can't find it anywhere. Isn't it a sesame paste? Should I look for Sesame Paste, instead? And..is it Indian, asian, etc?
I have so many recipes that call for it and can't find it.

Artichoke47
Jul 1st, 2005, 12:45 PM
You should be able to find it in the peanut butter section. You're in Seattle? I'm sure they have it. Sometimes it's even at the "regular" grocery store.

It is off-white in color and yes, is sesame paste.

FR
Jul 1st, 2005, 12:48 PM
Look for Marathon brand raw tahini. They discontinued their conventional line of that and only offer an organic version now, yay!

Helen_Edwards
Jul 1st, 2005, 12:54 PM
I'm sure Whole Foods Market sell tahini. From their website (www.wholefoodsmarket.com (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com)) they have one in Seattle:

Seattle
Whole Foods Market
Roosevelt Square
1026 NE 64th Street
Seattle, WA 98115
206.985.8500 fax
Store hours: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.

Franny
Jul 1st, 2005, 03:03 PM
You should be able to find it in a regular grocery store. I haven't had a problem, but it is a bit hidden sometimes. It's usually in with the organic/health foods section of the store. Also, as was mentioned it could be with the peanut butter. You could even try the ethnic food aisle. Just ask though. I'm sure they have it.

tipsy
Jul 6th, 2005, 02:21 AM
You should be able to find it in a regular grocery store. I haven't had a problem, but it is a bit hidden sometimes. It's usually in with the organic/health foods section of the store. Also, as was mentioned it could be with the peanut butter. You could even try the ethnic food aisle. Just ask though. I'm sure they have it.

i was laughed at for asking this in my local grocery store...

the natural food store kind is good but its like 7 bucks!!!

so i thought i could find it cheaper at the regular grocery store.... i asked and the guy behind the counter looked at me wierd and asked me to spell it.... and then he asked his co-worker-friend and they bust out laughing...

gotta love the inner city chain-owned "food" stores!!

trust you me i spoke with the manager...but i dont think she took me seriously either. :rolleyes:

oh well.

adam antichrist
Jul 6th, 2005, 08:20 AM
I think tahini is middle eastern, an ingrediant in hommus

FR
Jul 6th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Tahini is sesame seed butter. You can make it from scratch.

I love the stuff!

Helen_Edwards
Jul 6th, 2005, 12:04 PM
You can often find it in Middle Eastern food stores too, if you're lucky enough to have one near you. They usually sell it in bigger size pots, and it's much cheaper.

tipsy
Jul 9th, 2005, 04:59 AM
tahini is great!

http://www.annecollins.com/diet_foods/tahini.htm

Tahini
Diet Nutrition
Tahini is a spread made from sesame seeds. Tahini is a good source of essential fatty acids (EFAs). Tahini is a healthy alternative to butter and margarine on bread and toast.

Tahini has a strong, nutty flavour and can be used as a dip on its own or mixed with other dips. Tahini is mashed with chick peas, lemon juice and garlic to make hummus. It is used widely in the Middle East.

Because of it's high oil content, tahini is high in calories and should be eaten in moderation.

Calories in Tahini:
4oz/100g = about 600 calories

my3labs
Jul 9th, 2005, 06:48 AM
I found it. It was in the health food section of Fred Meyer. There were a few different options so I went with the "Raw" version.
I tried to make hummus with it and it was a dismal failure. I think I blew up my food processor.
I did however, find the best hummus in the world!! It's from a company called Emerald Valley (http://www.emeraldvalleykitchen.com/) . I have been buying their salsa for years, so I thought I would give their hummus a try.
This is such yummy stuff! Some pita chips and some Emerald Valley Greek Olive & Roasted Garlic hummus!
Seaside: they're in Eugene OR so you could probably find some locally.

Mystic
Sep 6th, 2005, 04:26 AM
Ideally, I wish I could say I like the unhulled tahini better then the hulled. I spent years hating tahini and avoiding it like the plague, until I convinced myself to try the hulled version. And I love it! Unhulled is too bitter and IMO, unbearable to the pallate.

What about everyone else?

veganblue
Sep 6th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Ideally, I wish I could say I like the unhulled tahini better then the hulled. I spent years hating tahini and avoiding it like the plague, until I convinced myself to try the hulled version. And I love it! Unhulled is too bitter and IMO, unbearable to the pallate.

What about everyone else?

I buy raw stone ground hulled tahini in 2kg jars. It lasts me a few months. I know that the hull contains a lot of goodness but it also makes a very different product.

Hulled tahini is still rich in Vitamin A, fats and calcium, folate, copper and manganese. I am not sure how much better the unhulled version is, but I am happy getting that which is in the hull from other sources. :)

FR
Sep 6th, 2005, 07:12 AM
I am not sure if the kind I get is hulled or unhulled. I know that it is raw, and organic. It is much more thick, and "pasty" than the watered down, almost flavorless one you get at a restaurant. I love the kind I buy. It is sort of bitter, but IMO, it is a yummy bitter. :)

abrennan
Sep 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM
There's definitely a difference, the hulled one does have a stronger taste but I like it better. I do eat the other also, if I can't get the hulled I buy the unhulled. It's a matter of personal taste isn't it. Surely the hulled version would better as it is a wholefood. When things are seperated they usually are also reduced in value.

Antony unhulled:cool:

FR
Sep 6th, 2005, 11:13 AM
I guess mine would be hulled then, :p .

abrennan
Sep 6th, 2005, 11:20 AM
I guess mine would be hulled then, :p .

Yeah sorry I was meaning to type that but I got carried away

have you tried Halva made with tahini, sall sweel!!!

FR
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah sorry I was meaning to type that but I got carried away

have you tried Halva made with tahini, sall sweel!!!

No. Probably would like to.