PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Halloween treats????

Andie
Oct 13th, 2004, 03:19 PM
I'm giving small packages of raisins to the trick or treaters this year, if we have any. last year we didn't.
That's the only packaged vegan treat I could come up with. I'm too cheap to buy vegan chocolate!!!!
Do other countries besides the US have trick or treating on Halloween?

gertvegan
Oct 13th, 2004, 03:30 PM
We get it, but its usually trick or trick around my area. HERES (http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-children/vegan-halloween.htm) an interesting article "Vegan Halloween: Tricks and Treats" by Erin Pavlina found on vegfamily.com.

celtic rose
Oct 13th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Oh no, trick or treating, I'd hadn't even thought about that.

We just get loads of brats banging on the door expecting sweets, could be worse though. At least in the States people make a big effort - or at least that's what it looks like from over here.

Just remembered - I think Skittles sweets are vegan (correct me if I'm wrong, its a long time since I had any).

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 13th, 2004, 05:16 PM
They have gelatin :(. Peta has a list of "Vegan" candies but I have to say that their disclaimer posted about checking with manufacturers and the source of sugar in these candies makes their "Vegan" status questionable, at best. I don't consider any of the candies listed as "Vegan" to be Vegan... :(

celtic rose
Oct 13th, 2004, 05:34 PM
I am surprised - didn't think they had gelatine in them let alone any other nasties :o

mysh
Oct 13th, 2004, 05:43 PM
The question is, how far away from animal sources do you need your food to be to consider it "vegan"?

For me, for most things, not containing animal products is good enough. But I do buy "vegan" sugar, that isn't bleached using bone-char.

For others, the company can't have used animal products in the manufacture of the food. This would rule out many alcohols, and sugars bleached with bone-char. Personally, I haven't managed to give up my alcohol, and I live in ignorance of how it is made. (This is another reason why I consider myself a strict vegetarian, rather than a vegan).

Still others won't buy anything that is made in the same facilities as things containing animal products, or will even avoid anything from any company that also makes animal products.

And I'm sure there are even further extremes.

It might be useful if we explicitly state these implicit assumptions of ours.

Me, I'm quite fond of Uh-Oh Oreos (also known as Golden Oreos), as they contain no animal products. But they're made by Nabisco, and I'm sure they're made in the same factory as normal Oreos, which do contain animal products. But right now, this is where I draw my line.

gertvegan
Oct 13th, 2004, 06:05 PM
HERES (http://www.vegparadise.com/cookingwith510.html) "A VEGAN HALLOWEEN PARTY For a dozen frolicking ghouls" from vegparadise.com. And HERES (http://vegweb.com/food/events/index-halloween.shtml) "Halloween Recipes" from vegweb.com.

Kiva Dancer
Oct 13th, 2004, 11:42 PM
I like the bagged mix of sweedish fish, hawaiian punch candies and something else that come in the little individual wrappers. The best I can tell they are vegan.

It doesn't matter to me the bone char thing. I know it matters to a lot of vegans but not me.

<-- another strict vegetarian trying to do the best I can.

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 14th, 2004, 01:42 AM
I have read conflicting unformation about the Swedish Fish. I have read that they have both gelatin and carmine (red dye) in the US. Please tell me where you buy them (Is it in the US?) because I have fond memories of eating them as a child on the rare occasions I was allowed a sugared food and would like to share them with my daughter :)

Artichoke47
Oct 14th, 2004, 01:50 AM
My family and probably other kids all around used to go to this one house that was great; we all looked forward to it. They gave us popcorn balls, probably made with some type of caramel. I'm sure there's a vegan equivalent. I've seen vegan caramel recipes. That would be cheap, wouldn't it?

Of course nowadays, there's so many concerned over contaminated candy that I don't know how well homemade things go over.

My first year living here, I was a lacto-ovo when Halloween came around. I got all kinds of goodies, like Butterfinger BBs, Reese's cups, Snickers, Twix, all of the yummy chocolate candies that kids love. I left a big container on the porch, as I was going to be gone that night. When I got back (even left a note for the mailperson to take some), only a few were gone! This was the next day! No one took it!

So now I leave the light off and don't bother. :)

assilembob
Oct 14th, 2004, 02:20 AM
^^ awww that's so sad.
But Twizzlers are "vegan" dunnno about the sugar thingy, but they are "vegan"

~Mel

John
Oct 14th, 2004, 07:55 PM
American Skittles are not vegan. European Skittles supposedly are vegan.

Kiva Dancer
Oct 15th, 2004, 12:48 AM
I have read conflicting unformation about the Swedish Fish. I have read that they have both gelatin and carmine (red dye) in the US. Please tell me where you buy them (Is it in the US?) because I have fond memories of eating them as a child on the rare occasions I was allowed a sugared food and would like to share them with my daughter :) The last bag I bought didn't seem to have either carmine or gelatin in them but I'll check again this year. Candy comapnies are notorious for constantly changing ingredients so it's very possible that what's vegan one year is nothing of the sort come year next.

I've also read that what's vegan in one area, especially in US, is not vegan in other places so... who knows? But I will surely check it out and reply back as soon as I find something out.

mysh
Oct 15th, 2004, 04:14 PM
But Twizzlers are "vegan" dunnno about the sugar thingy, but they are "vegan"

My wife just got a big bucket of them, and they definitely contain gelatine. Some of the other brands of the same thing, on the other hand, are just fine.

lolamako
Oct 30th, 2004, 04:05 AM
I got list of things that you can give out that are vegan, things most kids normally like and will come back for next year. They also have leaflets you can get to hand out to Trick or Treaters about veganism.

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/VeganShoppingQS-Snacks.asp?Category=Snacks

mophoto
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:13 PM
i was wondering if anyone handed out food/candy to kids for halloween??

while i was typing this i thought of a solution to my problem- stickers or small toys of some sort. well, i'll post this anyways:)

i want to keep up the tradition, because i loved it so much when i was a kid. i am sure there are a lot of people who would disagree with me.

twinkle
Oct 1st, 2005, 04:28 PM
I always try to have something to hand, though we don't seem to get many trick or treaters round here.

Last year I think I got vegan lollypops ready to hand out. Oh, and Uncle Joe's Mint Balls.

LittleNellColumbia
Oct 1st, 2005, 05:52 PM
You could always just hand out "tricks" instead of "treats":D go on, spoil the kids fun:p

lol i remeber when i was trick or treating when i was tounger, An old man gave me un-popped popcorn :confused: LMAO it was funny

mophoto
Oct 1st, 2005, 06:41 PM
An old man gave me un-popped popcorn :confused: LMAO it was funny

that would be hilarious. and cheap. the neighborhood kids would come back later and egg my house:)

JennyX
Oct 2nd, 2005, 01:01 AM
Unless kids in my town are willing to track through 1/2 mile of woods to get to my door I dont have to worry about handing candy out.. I work at a pre-school though and I made a list of vegan candy options and handed it out to my co-workers (they humor me well) lol.. I am giving all the kids pencils and stickers.. they totally dig that kind of stuff and even if I wasnt vegan that is the kind of stuff I give out anyway.. These kids get enough junk from everyone else.:cool: