PDA

View Full Version : Miso

Pages : [1] 2 3

Andie
Oct 13th, 2004, 04:35 PM
besides making a soup, what are some uses of miso?
thanks

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 13th, 2004, 04:50 PM
OH! I use it for any sauce or anything at all where a salty/savory flavor is needed! I make "Pate's" , Nut and Seed Cheeses, Shepheard's Pie, Pasta Sauces, Steamed Veggies, Salad Dressings, Stir Fries..oh, everything that needs a "salty" taste! (Same thing for nutritional yeast, actually):) Just add after cooking and never heat to a boil!

Mystic
Oct 14th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Mix it with tahini and spread it on a sandwich

DianeVegan
Mar 29th, 2006, 11:28 AM
I use a LOT of miso and am always on the lookout for great miso. Currently I am using Miso Master Organic, which has a lovely complex taste. But it's also expensive at $7.50 per pound. I have tried some other cheap brands but they just taste like salt to me. I even recently tried some brands at an asian market (careful, many of them have bonito in them) but most tasted salty.

So, if you have a favorite miso please share.:)

Mr Flibble
Mar 29th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Some of the stuff sold in the UK supermarkets and healt food stores also contains bonito. I've tried most brands i've come across in the UK, but i'm not really a connisseur

DianeVegan
Mar 29th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Ah, Flibble, I was hoping you would have a good brand. I know you do a lot of wonderful cooking.

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 29th, 2006, 07:45 PM
i got a book called The Miso Book about preparing food with miso and i would like to share some of the recipes. first some shopping and cooking guidelines are given.
*choosing organic miso and other soy products has become even more important in recent years because of the rapidly increasing production of genetically modified soybeans. since there are no federal laws regulating the labeling of products made with genetically mekified ingredients, the only way to ensure that the miso you buy has not been made with GM soybeans is to use miso that is made with organic ingredients which prohibits the use of GMOs.
*the color of miso is an indication of its quality. long-aged salty miso, marketed under such names as 'brown rice', 'barley', 'red', and 'rice' miso should be a ruch russet or earthy brown color, not black or nearly black. sweet misos, which are marketed as 'mellow white', mellow barley', 'white', 'sweet white' miso should be light in color, never brown.
*the key to fine miso cooking is to integrate the more subtle aspects of miso's color and flavor in a gentle balance with other ingredients, not to overpower dishes with its strong taste. for example, when making miso soup using a stock as a base helps achieve a full, rich flavor with considerably less miso than you would if you used plain water and relied solely on miso to supply all the flavor.
*although miso will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator it's best to use sweet miso within 9 months and dark miso within 18 months.
*miso that is sold unrefrigerated in sealed plastic bags is almost certainly pasteurized or has an added preservative such as alcohol. an exception to this rule is very old, dry soybean miso, such as Hatcho miso.
*although there are some exceptions, unpasteurized miso should be added to dishes at or near the end of cooking time, at the last minute, to preserve its full fresh flavor and beneficial enzymes and other microorganisms.
*when making a sauce or stew that is thickened with arrowroot or kuzu, both of which are usually added near the end of cooking, incorporate teh miso first and allow it to simmer at least several minutes before adding the thickener. if miso is added along with or after the thickener, its enzymes will begin 'digesting' the long carbohydrate chains that are needed to maintain thickness.
*it is best to mix the miso with some stock or other liquid in a separate bowl before adding it to a recipe. this allows the miso to permeate the soup, stew, or sauce more evenly.
*when incorporating miso into a thick mixture such as a tofu-based dip first combine it with vinegar, lemon juice, or other liquid from a recipe, or simply thin the miso with an equal amount of water.

sweet miso:
*it is an excellent dairy substitute. instead of adding milk, butter, and salt to mashed potatoes or creamed soups, try a little sweet miso. replace the sour cream typically used in dips and spreads, with a mixture of sweet miso, tofu, and lemon juice or rice vinegar.
*together, sweet miso and naturally brewed rice vinegar create a delicious tartness that is both refreshing and cooling. known as su miso, this combination has a long history in japanese cuisine. blended with other ingredients, such as oil, onion, dill, rice syrup, tofu, and tahini, su miso is excellent in american style dressings, dips, and sauces.
*mixed with equal amounts of mirin or sake, sweet miso makes a delicious and versatile sauce for baked, broiled, or stir-fried vegetables and tofu. (bringing it to a simmer momentarily evaporates the alcohol) add sauteed slivered almonds for an amandine sauce.
*create another versatile sauce by combining sweet miso with tahini that has been thinned with water or stock. adding ingredients such as lemon, ginger, garlic, onion, mirin, and/or herbs changes its personality to accompany different veggies, grains, noodles, and tofu. substituting freshly roasted ground nuts or seeds for the tahini achieves a delicious result.

dark miso:
*dark salty misos combine nicely with beans, gravies, baked dishes, and hearty vegetable stews and soups.
*when mixed with sweet, tangy, or pungent ingredients, such as mirin, rice syrup, rice vinegar, or fresh ginger, dark miso adds refreshing flavor to sauces.
*keep in mind that dark miso is stronger in flavor than sweet miso, so use it sparingly.

rantipole
Mar 29th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I am so excited for new ways to use miso. Goodbye Girl, I have to say, you post some great recipes.

I make a miso sauce for my stir-fries sometime. When I figure out the proportions, I'll post it. It involves miso, ginger, sesame oil, water, and lemon, but I can't recall in what proportions off the top of my head.

Cheers,
rant

Mr Flibble
Mar 29th, 2006, 08:44 PM
well, it's not really a help to you unless you visit the uk ;)

Here we have an importer from asia which sell mostly (if not all) vegan products, most of which is also organic - called Clearspring Direct (http://www.clearspring.co.uk/pages/site/products/index.htm). I first found their site through google and wrote to them long before they became big - now their stuff is in major supermarkets. It's all rebadged as their brand though so although the same produce may end up in the US there's no way of knowing. The other main importer is G. Costa (http://www.gcosta.co.uk/), who trade under a variety of names including Blue Dragon, but also sell non vegan products.

Clearspring sell quite a few varieties of miso, but as I say i'm not really a connisseur of it, i tend to just add a dollup to various broths (such as shiitake/konbu stock) for a bit of extra flavour :o ;)

Tigerlily
Mar 29th, 2006, 10:56 PM
What does Miso taste like? It's too expensive to simply try it to see if I like it, I have to know if it's worth the 9 bucks!

Jane M
Mar 29th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I usually buy Eden brand. It is made locally and I don't know how far they ship though.

Tigerlily
Mar 29th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Yeah, miso is sold at the grocery store but it's fairly expensive for me. I'm afraid I'm just going to waste my money if I don't like it.

rantipole
Mar 29th, 2006, 11:33 PM
It's salty (very salty) and savory. You generally use a little bit of the paste to make soups, sauces, and flavorings. The next time you go out to eat at a Japanese resturant or such, order a cup of miso soup. That will give you an idea of the flavor. Just make sure there is no fish in it, as some Japanese resturants do put fish in it.

Cheers,
rant

Tigerlily
Mar 29th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Ahh, we have no Japanese restaurants here. :(

Jane M
Mar 30th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Tigerlilly, do they have an asian section in your supermarket? Ours has little packs of instant noodles with a miso broth for under a $1. It is a way to get an idea of how miso tastes but it really isn't a very high quality miso.

Tigerlily
Mar 30th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I bought them once but they had bonito in it. :(

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:18 AM
mellow miso dressing

1/3 c safflower oil
1/4 c water
3 T sweet or mellow miso
1 1/2 T brown rice vinegar
1 T chopped onion
2 t rice syrup or mirin
1/4 - 1/2 t dried mustard

place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. if necessary add more water to reach desired consistency. transfer to a jar with a lid. use immediately or cover and chill until ready to use. shake well before using.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:22 AM
a different version of 'thousand islands' salad dressing. good on salads, tofu, and vegeburgers.

'miso islands' dressing

1 c tofu mayonnaise
1/4 c ketchup
3 T sweet or mellow miso
1 T rice vinegar
1 T rice syrup
1 T finely grated onion
1 T grated fresh horseradish
2 T relish

place all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until well blended. transfer to a jar with a lid.
use immediately or cover and chill until ready to use. shake well before using.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:25 AM
amazake dressing

1/2 c amazake
1/4 c brown rice vinegar
2 T light sesame oil
2 T olive oil
1 T red or brown rice miso
1 clove garlic, sliced

place all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth. transfer to a jar with a lid. use immediately or cover and chill until ready to use. shake well before using.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:28 AM
coconut - lime dressing

2 T fresh lime juice
2 T coconut milk
2 t maple syrup
1 T sweet or mellow miso
1 T water
1/4 c canola oil
3 T shredded unsweetened coconut

place the lime juice, coconut milk, maple syrup, miso, and water in a blender. with the blender running remove the lid and add the oil in a thin stream. blend until smooth, then stir in the shredded coconut. treansfer the dressing to a jar with a lid.
use immediately, or cover and chill until ready to use. shake well before using.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:33 AM
cool-as-a-cucumber dressing

1 medium pickling cucumber
2 T chopped onion
2 T lemon juice
2 T sweet or mellow miso
2 T water
1 T rice syrup
1 T lemon zest
1 T chopped dill
1/8 t black pepper
1/4 c walnut oil

place all of the ingredients excepts the oil in a blender. with the blender running remove the lid and add the oil in a thin stream. blend until smooth. transfer the dressing to a jar with a lid. use immediately or cover and chill until ready to use. shake well before using.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:37 AM
zesty crimson dressing

2 T sweet or mellow miso
2 T water
2 T brown rice vinegar
1 T brown rice syrup
1 T chopped red onion
1 T grated beet
2 t fresh ginger juice
1/4 c canola oil

place all of the ingredients excepts the oil in a blender. with the blender running remove the lid and add the oil in a thin stream. blend until smooth. transfer the dressing to a jar with a lid. use immediately or cover and chill until ready to use. shake well before using.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:54 AM
fu (baked wheat gluten) adds protein and an interesting texture to this simple soup. shonai fu, which is the variety sold in flat sheets, is recommended.

fall miso soup

6 c shiitake stock
4 fresh or reconstituted shiitake caps, thinly sliced
1 c butternut squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 1/2 c tightly packed chopped kale
1 sheet shonai fu, broken into bite-sized pieces
1/4 c barley, red, or brown miso

place the stock and shiitake in a 4 quart pot over medium geat and bring to a boil. reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes.
add the squash and simmer 5 minutes.
add the kale and fu and simmer 10 minutes more, or until the greens are tender. remove from the heat.
dissolve the miso in some of the broth and add it to the soup. allow to steep a minute before serving.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 11th, 2006, 08:04 AM
miso soup with fresh corn is a summer favorite. boiling the cobs results in a delicious stock. when using a different summer vegetable, such as bok choy or zucchini, start with a tasty shiitake or vegetable stock.

summer miso soup

3-4 ears fresh corn
6 c water
6 inch strip kombu
1 onion, diced
1/8 t sea salt
1 carrot, thinly sliced
2-3 T minced parsley
2 T barley, red, or brown rice miso mixed w/3 T sweet or mellow miso

cut the corn kernels from the cobs and set them aside. place the cobs, water, and kombu in a 4 quart pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. remove the kombu and reserve for another use. continue simmering the cobs 5 minutes more, then remove and discard.
add the onion and salt, simmer for 10 minutes, then add the carrot and corn kernels. continue to simmer another 10 minutes. stir in the parsley during the last minute of cooking. remove from the heat.
dissolve the miso in some of the broth and add it to the soup. allow to steep a minute before serving.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 11th, 2006, 08:10 AM
before modern transportation enabled us to eat produce from all over the world year-round, winter soups usually featured easy to store root vegetables. in this typical japanese winter soup, wakame replaced fresh greens.

6 c stock
1/2 c julienned daikon radish
1/2 c julienned carrot
6 inch piece wakame
1/4 c red, brown rice, or barley miso

place the stock, daikon, and carrot in a 4 quart pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender.
as the ingredients simmer, soak the wakame in cold or tepid water for 10 to 15 mnutes. cut away any tough ribs, and slice the fronds into 1 inch pieces.
add the wakame to the pot, simmer 1 to 2 minutes, then remove from the heat.