PDA

View Full Version : Do we need fridges?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Smoothie
Mar 12th, 2007, 09:40 AM
yes it should.. it will get really bacteria filled by room temp. i was in a hygiene class (i work in a kitchen), and the teacher told us, that it should be kept in the fridge, cause of the possibility, that it would catch some dangerous bacterias, and cause food poisoning.

Gorilla
Mar 12th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Jam, mustard and anything pickled shouldn't need refrigerating, I doubt flaxseed oil does either and suspect that vegan mayonnaise and margarine would probably be ok. Olives can be kept in brine.

organic jams etc. need refrigerating because they go mouldy very quickly. unless you have a very cold cupboard in your house vegan margarine will quickly melt and mayonnaise will go rancid - i know because when my fridge broke a whole load of food was ruined in less than 24 hours.

if you can live without a fridge go ahead, but i personally wouldn't want to. organic fruit and veg spoils too quickly out of the fridge and i don't have time to buy it fresh every day, as well as the fact that i like a few processed foods like margarine, yoghurt and soya milk which won't keep long unless refrigerated.

Yoggy
Mar 12th, 2007, 09:51 AM
yes it should.. it will get really bacteria filled by room temp. i was in a hygiene class (i work in a kitchen), and the teacher told us, that it should be kept in the fridge, cause of the possibility, that it would catch some dangerous bacterias, and cause food poisoning.

It drove me nuts that at a burger place I used to work at, the boss left out the mustard and hot sauce 24/7!!! But she always put the ketchup and coffee creamers in the fridge overnight - after they had been out on the tables from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. :rolleyes:

Klutz
Mar 12th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I do not have the time nor the energy to shop for food on a daily basis, so for me, a fridge is necessary. Before I went vegan, it would have been possible as I pretty much lived off of prepackaged proccessed crap. Now that I'm into things like fresh fruits, mushrooms, fresh veggies...well, a fridge is necessary. If I were a homemaker, perhaps then I'd go to the market on a daily basis. But, I have to teach to earn some won to buy some food and riding the busiest subway line during rush hour, teaching young children all day and then riding the subway back home again tends to wear me out.

Greenboy
Mar 12th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Fridges are essential, where else would i keep my magnets ?

Mr Flibble
Mar 12th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Our fridge is big and shiny. It chills water and makes crushed ice for cocktails :)

coconut
Mar 12th, 2007, 01:43 PM
If you don't need a fridge, why do you need a freezer?

I need a place to store all my severed heads :p

Marrers
Mar 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I need a fridge to keep my wine cold!

Also if I cook, which is rarely, I usually make big pots of stew or soup so need a fridge to keep it fresh til it is all eaten.

Tigerlily
Mar 12th, 2007, 04:03 PM

LOL. The stove?

Klutz
Mar 13th, 2007, 12:24 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~~~~ I love that! Very funny! :D :D

MarkAnthony
Mar 13th, 2007, 01:23 AM
I certainly think it could be argued that fridges are not strictly needed, but then nor are many modern facilities. I have no intention of getting rid of mine in any case.

Roxy
Mar 13th, 2007, 03:57 AM
And they must use a lot of energy and therefore money being on all day, every day. When i eventually get a place of my own i really don't think i'll be shelling out for a fridge/freezer.

Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone living a fridge free life?

Woody, what about a small bar type fridge? That would probably consume a lot less energy and could keep just a few things cold if you needed them (leftovers etc).

fiamma
Mar 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I used to have one of them, it wass so cute :) Unfortunately I find myself going in the opposite direction - I need a bigger fridge!!! Veg seems to go off really quickly anyway, and with the weather we have here in summer it would be Bacteria City without a fridge... But whatever floats your boat.

Woody
Mar 13th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Woody, what about a small bar type fridge? That would probably consume a lot less energy and could keep just a few things cold if you needed them (leftovers etc).

Yeah if i did decide to go definitively fridge-less i'd probably get a little one to use occasionally, unless i had a cold pantry type thing; that would be great.

harpy
Mar 13th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Our previous fridge used to pack up regularly for a couple of years before we bit the bullet and replaced it. When it did it in winter I found I could manage without for a few days by putting some stuff outside or in a cool cupboard. It was difficult not to waste food though when it happened in the summer.

I guess if you had time to shop, or forage, every day you could probably manage without. But you'd have to buy stuff like soy milk (if you wanted it) in small quantities and that could be un-green in terms of the packaging.

PainterLady
Mar 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Would you like a refrigerator that you can power by riding a bicycle that is connected to a generator that powers it? Would you be willing to cycle a half hour a day for your refrigerator needs?

harpy
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I like that idea, PainterLady - I always feel that exercise for its own sake is a bit pointless but if I could power something by it I would be more motivated.

Mind you it might be an idea if you had some form of backup power as well because it would be annoying if you were ill or something and all your food decomposed.

pavotrouge
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I need a fridge, but can get along without a freezer (though this means no soy ice cream!)... I could live without a fridge, however.

But it's more handy because I don't have the time to go shopping very often, working 50h a week.

Did I ever mention that the fact my fridge was broken a year ago ignited the idea of becoming vegan in me?

Fekkler
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I always feel that exercise for its own sake is a bit pointless but if I could power something by it I would be more motivated.

I wonder how much electricity a random gym could generate. Green power for and by the people! :)

The Fekkler

pavotrouge
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Just imagine how much energy could be generated by all vegan misundertstanding and omni's ignorance power...

samtoo
Mar 18th, 2007, 07:21 PM
No, of course we don't.

People managed before, and if we take into account the real & present threat of climate chaos to all forms of life (WHO estimates 160,000 people/year dieing from climate chaos), surely we should be giving them up now? That's not to mention cost, the hum etc etc. Socrates said something about there being so many things that he didn't need. I'd quite like a future for our children, myself, hence no fridge.

I've not had one for 14 years, in a variety of homes.

People get in the habit of keeping things in the fridge that don't really need to be kept there. Many things actually keep better out of the fridge, and the risks to health are far fewer.

It's hard to think how you can manage without, like people have forgotten how things worked before mobile phones! A lot of the things people say they'd lose, they wouldn't in my experience - one problem indeed, is that you have to eat all your swedish glace (or similar) in one go - not a hardship I find! Frozen food is convenient but bereft of nutritional value by and large. Ice I get (for free) from my local pub, leftovers I tend to eat within a day or two (especially if you share food with others), cold beer I buy from nearby shop or have drinks best not too cold (they keep their cold for quite a while, or you can use cold water to cool 'em). Soya & marg are fine. Buy good fresh veg and it'll last longer - depending on what kind of lettuce, it lasts without wilting for days to over a week! I don't shop every day (about once, sometimes twice, a week). I ignore the refrigerate after opening labels, and use my commonsense instead. People in warm climates use keer pots, or matkas, or cold cellars, etc etc etc. Perhaps once stuff has been kept in the fridge, it can't survive so long out of one, from people's stories on this thread - I've kept all those things fine out of a fridge. I don't waste any food.

I've only just started using a larder, and have a balcony I can put stuff out on. I also have an allotment, so can be clever with seasonal veg & would like to get into preserving. However, for most of the years I've not had a fridge or freezer, I've not had these advantages, so it's easy even without.

Try it.

Risker
Mar 19th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Ice I get (for free) from my local pub

Careful with pub ice, it's notoriously unclean and having worked in a pub I avoid it myself (You don't want to know the reason why)

Marrers
Mar 19th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Careful with pub ice . . . (You don't want to know the reason why)
I now NEED to know!

Risker
Mar 19th, 2007, 02:59 AM
I now NEED to know!

What the hell - there were 2 buckets in this particular chain pub, one was used for carrying ice and one for catching urine when there was a leak.

They weren't labelled, enough said.

Marrers
Mar 19th, 2007, 10:33 AM
:eek: