PDA

View Full Version : Do we need fridges?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

onebigvegan
Jun 14th, 2007, 10:49 PM
you can make a cool area by putting a container, something like a deep sink in a larger container put a lid on the container, fill the area between the two with water. the evaporation of the water will keep the deep sink cool...
also peltier effect pumps can remove 50watts or more, i have a camping cool box that does this, in a house this could be wind or solar powered.... adding the two together you could get as much as 30degrees less than ambient...

ps i second patio....

RedWellies
Jun 14th, 2007, 11:41 PM
OMG, you're talking about your axe again aren't you!!!

onebigvegan
Jun 15th, 2007, 12:06 AM
OMG, you're talking about your axe again aren't you!!!

it's a fine axe! i think of it often!
mind you, it's a bit rusty through lack of use:)

anyone one remember finbar saunders?
he'd be having a complete brake down with all this axe talk:)

ps it was YOU redwellies that got me started, it's all your fault

deer
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:10 PM
It's funny but I have a trouble with keeping the food in the fridge (vs eating it all instantly).

Hemlock
Feb 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM
We just went without a fridge for 6 months when the last one broke down, we just don't need one. The freezer on the other hand is indispensible as we pick wild fruits, sea kale etc in large quantities and keep them for eating or making smoothies out of season or making wine and drinks with.

harpy
Feb 27th, 2011, 12:59 PM
That's interesting - did you find you had to go shopping a lot more Hemlock, or did you have enough stuff in the garden etc to keep you going?

I find things like salad spoil quite fast if not refrigerated (and they also did when we accidentally turned our fridge up/down so it wasn't cold enough :o). I'm sure I could manage without one if I had to but I probably couldn't do the weekly veg box thing for instance.

gracefulswan
Mar 23rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
I think we don't per se, though we all probably have one for convenience sake and for the fact that we cannot raise our own food anymore. It's a shame in a way... Our bodies evolved to eat foods highly fermented with millions and millions of more bacteria than we consume currently on average.

This is why we have so many digestive/bowel disorders these days... Many have to take probiotics, etc.. I had a chronic problem where I lived and when I moved abroad and started to eat very natural, fermented foods, my problems went away. I even took probiotics and other synthetic stuff at home, all to very little or no avail.

DeMontfort
Mar 23rd, 2011, 02:34 PM
I have lived without one in the past; we used to use an old milk churn to keep things cool.

Most of the things I put in the fridge probably do not even need to be in there at all as the 'milk' I buy is from a none refrigerated aisle anyway. Even in a relatively hot country (unlike here) I am sure I would be able to make do with just a larder.

My omni fiancÚ however probably would not be so pleased by the idea.

whalespace
Mar 23rd, 2011, 09:14 PM
I like a very cold drink once in a while, but I hardly ever go in the fridge... I think I would get myself a cool box, and buy some frozen peas if I needed to cool something.

A giant 'wine cooler' type cool chamber can be made from an upside down terra cotta pot . The pot should be in the shade, preferably in a breeze, and continually supplied with enough water to soak the pot. Evaporation takes away heat. I haven't tried this yet... broke the last enormous terra cotta pot that came my way.

DeMontfort
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:47 AM
What an interesting idea, I will have to try that sometime!

The last enormous terra cotta pot I had also ended up broken but that had more to do with my father parking a Land Rover on top of it than anything else.

FaerieSuzy
May 27th, 2011, 02:13 PM
what you could do is swap to a little caravanning fridge, smaller so less energy maybe? rather than one of those huge monstrosities :S

CoolCat
May 27th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Those tiny mini fridges often have very bad insulation. I seen in a docu how in africa they made a hut with walls and a roof out of charcoal and let water run over it to cool it down. They could keep vegetables fresh like that before those where collected with a refrigerated truck to take them to market.

imblissful
May 31st, 2011, 06:05 PM
I only shop about once a month (2 1/2 hour round trip drive to grocery stores), and have fresh organic fruits and veggies delivered weekly. So I don't think I can live without my refrigerator. We also tend to cook a large meal and eat leftovers for several days. With a teenage boy, several friends and a toddler girl I know that it would be devastating to lose ours. It's funny that I am responding to this today because yesterday my husband ordered a new fan and motor for it. We even keep a spare one (unplugged) downstairs in case the tempermental newer one throws a fit. The older one is from about 1960 (not very energy efficient) and the new one is only 10 years old (guess that is getting a little old).

When I was a docent for a local museum one of my jobs was to take tourists through an old victorian home, still in tact like the family abandoned it and left everything as is. This house had an addition put on in about the 1940's that included a modern kitchen, it had a wonderful wood/coal cookstove and a sink, full electricity, but no refrigerator. The house was built right up to the rock mountainside and they chisled out a really large hole in the rock, put a door on it and called it thier fridge, it was always cold in there, even when the temperature outside was 80 degrees.

Unfortunately I do not have a rock mountainside out my back door. Maybe that's not unfortunate, I like my backyard.

harpy
May 31st, 2011, 07:12 PM
In my limited experience those very small fridges don't work too well, but I think even ordinary European fridges are generally small relative to US ones - on our recent hols over there we had two self-catering apartments and both had enormous fridges (even though one of them had no cooking equipment to speak of!). Of course, "small" doesn't necessarily mean energy-efficient.

Risker
May 31st, 2011, 07:33 PM
. Of course, "small" doesn't necessarily mean energy-efficient.

It does a bit, the more full a fridge is the more efficient it is, and as a smaller one is easier to fill makes sense it'd be more efficient.

harpy
May 31st, 2011, 07:38 PM
Yes, and other things being equal a smaller fridge must use less energy than a larger one - but they aren't necessarily equal.

(I don't think I would have trouble filling a larger one given time, as mine always seems to be full of months-old items that need throwing away :p )

Risker
May 31st, 2011, 08:02 PM
Same here, trying to work through our open jars of only used once things.

genisis
Sep 30th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Fridges are essential, where else would i keep my magnets ?
LOL that made me giggle :lol2:

genisis
Sep 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM
i have had to live without a fridge and a freezer at one point and yes you kinda get used to it and 'work' round the fact you hav'nt got one but it is a lot easier with one!
I no longer have a dryer or dishwasher as I thought I really can live without them, my toaster and microwave both broke and i havent replaced them and although I do missed them occasionally I do manage fine without them....so would I give up my fridge freezer and washing machine?? If they break I will let you know but untill then...Im keeping them!!! :thumbsup:

made of sequins
Jan 24th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Do we need a fridge?
Yes.

agreed. there is middle ground between 'no fridge' and 'massive energy-hog typically sized American fridge'. and i'm a big fan of moderation in general; i don't think there's any need for going to one extreme or another, either attempting to completely shun modern conveniences or full-on buying into the outrageous overly-wasteful setups that are typical of most households. :) but that's just IMHO.

I love modern life and I'm very much a city person; rather than giving up technology, I'm more interested in innovation, finding new possibilities for improving and powering modern technology in more sustainable eco-friendly ways. I believe it can be done, and that it's a worthwhile pursuit. :) (everything we have now was once thought to be "impossible", and yet we're still foolish enough to look at ideas today and think the same thing!) of course, I think part of that has to involve a shift in habits too, as well as infrastructure (comprehensive public transit in lieu of cars, urban renewal/decreasing sprawl, etc.), and re-thinking and being more reasonable about how much we really need. A combination of innovation and conservation, if you will.

when i moved into my current apartment, the landlord had just got done renovating and didn't have a fridge in yet, so i told him not to worry about providing one, and i got a small under-the-counter fridge. it's the perfect size---i do find that as a vegan i don't need as much fridge space, but i do still need some.

cedarblue37
Jan 26th, 2012, 08:52 AM
on the recent 'river cottage veg' series, hugh visited a japanese couple with an allotment who follow the shojin ryori method of cooking and eating. he was shocked that they had no fridge.

they seemed to bring allotment produce home everyday and cook it fresh. no dairy either. they used miso which is fermented and they did use tofu so probably bought that fresh too.

it does look more effort to gather and prep the food daily but if you have time, very satisfying. the other precept of shojin is that one gathers and prepares just enough for that meal or day so none is wasted.

it inspired me and i got myself a couple of vegan japanese cookbooks following this practice - the recipes look very tasty.

Daffodil
Jan 27th, 2012, 11:31 PM
well we managed a few years without a freezer when ours broke and we were too lazy to go shopping for a new one but then the need for ice cubes became too strong so we had to buy one.... but i could never live without a fridge. i like to cook a big pot of whatever (soups, etc) enough to last a few days and keep it in the fridge so that i don't have to cook daily, and i also like salads and cold beer :-)