PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional Yeast

Pages : [1] 2

Yogini
Oct 26th, 2006, 08:25 PM
You know what else it's good on? Green salad.

Yeah, man. A little olive oil, a little lemon juice, a light dusting of garlic powder, two pinches of sesame seeds. Then several generous shakes of Red Star.

I've been unhappy with my salads this week because my store was out of green onions and I was finding my salad too bland without them. The nutritional yeast changed everything.:p

Bobbi Luvs U
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:21 AM
i recently became a vegan after being a lacto-vegetarian for over a year. i just bought some nutritional yeast, but i was wondering if there was anything i could do with it besides just adding it to smoothies and juice and stuff like that. :confused: i really don't enjoy many fruit juices enough to drink them regularly and i don't make smoothies very often. any suggestions for adding nutritional yeast to my diet?

Roxy
Mar 12th, 2007, 03:41 AM
You'll probably find loads of ideas in this thread.

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1401&highlight=nutritional+yeast

Mermaid07
Mar 12th, 2007, 06:27 AM
nutritional yeast is good in cheese like recipes. It is good to make a variety of sauces. It tastes good on popcorn and in tofu scrambles.

grrrnola
Mar 12th, 2007, 06:33 AM
how are you finding it? i think it's gross and too salty. it's not a natural b12 source and is enriched. if you're looking for b12 better to take methylcobalamin supplements (and not the cyanocobalamin cuz it's not as good).
and if you're prone to yeast infections adding yeast to the mix is NOT going to help. i think it's just another health fad that isn't really good, kinda like all the organic farms and whatnot promoting the consumption of "dandelion greens" because they're a "great antioxidant". like, whatever, they're abundant in the fields and what better thing to do than throw them away?? sell them to dummies for $3 a bunch! hey, i've bought them before, but i won't anymore. :P i think the same goes for nutritional yeast... it's nothing good.. i know it makes me sick.
good luck finding recipes though. i found some sauce recipe to mix with tamari, garlic and i think that's it... not sure.. i dunno, but it makes a sauce for something, i completely forget. wow no help. anyways, it's bad in my opinion, and not all that natural.

Bobbi Luvs U
Mar 13th, 2007, 04:28 AM
Hey, thanx for the info!
Grrrnola, i agree with you about dandelion greens and organic farms and all that...lol. i heard everywhere that nutritional yeast is just really good for you, but i guess i'll look into other supplements as well. in the meantime i might as well stick to the nutritional yeast cuz i got a lot of it now!

i was wondering if you've read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan? i know we're not omnivores, but it is still a very interesting book. you sound like you might like it.

Soul Rebel
Mar 13th, 2007, 01:58 PM
nutritional yeast is an ingrediant in seitan which we use in veggie pot pie and various other recipes. this seitan recipe is in vegan with a vengance.

Pob
Mar 13th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Nutritional yeast is good for you. It won't have any bearing on yeast infections. This is "dead" yeast that you are eating. Yeast infections are caused by eating to much sugar, anti-biotics, bad diet, etc. Not by eating inactive yeast.

I use it to make cheesy sauces and to thicken and enrich sauces.

It's not high in sodium at all - even if it tastes salty.

rantipole
Mar 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM
This might be off-topic, but how are dandelion greens not good for you? They are high in vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium. They are also high in fiber. They probably do have antioxidants, as most plants do. I personally think they taste gross, but they are certainly good for you.

Cheers,
rant

nervine
Mar 13th, 2007, 08:41 PM
This might be off-topic, but how are dandelion greens not good for you? They are high in vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium. They are also high in fiber. They probably do have antioxidants, as most plants do. I personally think they taste gross, but they are certainly good for you.

Cheers,
rant
Dandelion greens contain a toxic substance that we can easily detect by its bitter taste. That means that you could eat a few leaves but not much more. Your body will let you know when you've eaten too many.

rantipole
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Dandelion greens contain a toxic substance that we can easily detect by its bitter taste. That means that you could eat a few leaves but not much more. Your body will let you know when you've eaten too many.

I have never heard this, and I'm sorry but I doubt it. The Wikipedia entry doesn't mention that, nor does the encyclopedia. It has been eaten and used medicinally for a very long time, so I doubt it's toxic.

Cheers,
rant

nervine
Mar 13th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I have never heard this, and I'm sorry but I doubt it. The Wikipedia entry doesn't mention that, nor does the encyclopedia. It has been eaten and used medicinally for a very long time, so I doubt it's toxic.

Cheers,
rant

People say the same about meat you know..
Well, you could do an experiment. Eat a whole bunch of them on empty stomach and see what happens.

vegancupcake
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:27 AM
i've had professionally made vegan cheeses at restaurants w/ nutritional yeast, and i've also made stuff myself w/ recipes i found online...i just do not like any of these cheeses w/ nutritional yeast.

i am, however, crazy about vegan gourmet follow your heart cheese i love cheddar the most and then monterey jack. actually, i like them all except mozerella, but prob cuz i haven't tried it on pizza which is where it belongs, not pasta.

anyway, does anyone have a recipe that closely resembles follow your heart cheddar or monterey jack??? no nutritional yeast please. i've read their ingredients, but i dunno what's in the natural flavours. =,(

Pob
Apr 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I make a cheese sauce with yeast extract (completely different taste to nutritional yeast), onion powder, mustard powder, and dried parsley. I do usually add nutritional yeast too, but it's pretty tasty without.

Basically make a white sauce with soya milk, then stir in the other ingredients. I use about half a teaspoon of each for 1 pint of sauce.

If you make it thick it works pretty well on pizza. Also works great on lasagne, cauliflower cheese, macaroni and cheese, etc.

It probably tastes nothing like those cheeses you mentioned, but it is good.

tipsy
May 11th, 2007, 04:09 AM
look in raw recipies to find nut cheeses. :D

Yogini
Jun 26th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I know it's the B vitamins, but am I the only one who gets a kick out of how bright, neon yellow it turns your pee?

cedarblue
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
anyone in the u.s. or anywhere heard of red star nutritional yeast?

fondducoeur
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:40 PM
anyone in the u.s. or anywhere heard of red star nutritional yeast?

Yes, I have some. I ordered it form veganstore.com. I am not sure I like it as much as the kind I have gotten out of the health food store bulk bin, but I thought I would give it a try. The stuff sitting out in bulk bins (if they are transparant) I've heard can reduce the levels of vitamin b-12 and other good things it contains. But I might go back to using it anyways.

cedarblue
Apr 17th, 2008, 09:43 PM
i ask because i read it supplements vit b12. it it included in the nutritional list?

ellaminnowpea
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I bought (and recently tried) some nutritional yeast the other day. I really like how it tastes cheesy; I add it to pasta and popcorn with a little garlic flavoring mixed in. I'm not one to use "weird" vegan foods, but I really do like it. From what I've read its dead yeast and cannot cause yeast infections. Does anyone know nutritionally (fat, protein, carb ratios) what it is? It seems to taste fatty to me... but I couldnt' find any info on it.

JC
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:55 PM
i was wondering if there was anything i could do with it besides just adding it to smoothies and juice and stuff like that

smoothies?! woah! :amazed_ani: i don't think i'd ever go there with nutritional yeast, lol. i love it sprinkled on corn cakes because it tastes like snack-a-jacks. and i mix it with baked beans to make cheesy beans. i never thought to add it to pasta, that's definately something to try.

Ella, on my packet, the stats per 100g are:
Energy (kj/kcal) 1500/357
Protein 45
Carbohydrate 33
Fat 5
of which saturates 2.5
Fibre 20
Sodium 1

oh my, i do love it! :rolleyes:

Wonderwoman
Apr 17th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I bought some of this a couple of weeks back and like to sprinkle it on soups and on roast potatoes. I have 'Marigold' brand and here's the nutritional info from the side of the pack -
per 100g
protein 33
fat 5 (of which 2.5 is saturated)
fibre 20
sodium 1
B1 15
B2 25
B3 150
B6 1.8
Folic A 23
b5 1.3 mg
iron 4.5
magn. 180

All up, pretty high in protein and B vitamins and very low in fat! It also mentions that the yeast is 'inactive'.
Hope this helps....

sugarmouse
Apr 18th, 2008, 01:59 AM
I have never had nutritinal Yeast.I feel I am missing out!I have nevr come across it anywhere, apart from on sites that only deliver to the U.S!

Mahk
Apr 18th, 2008, 03:42 AM
i ask because i read it supplements vit b12. it it included in the nutritional list?

I have KAL brand which is said to be made for them by Red Star, so I'm told. It says "Vegetarian Support Formula" on it so that seems like more evidence that it is really the same.

One level scoop (included, 70 cc or aproximately 16g) has 130% DV of B12. :)
It is indeed listed in the ingredients, as well as other B vitamins and niacin, but I think it is actually not an added ingredient but rather an ingredient added to the molasses that the yeast (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae) are grown on.

I'm going to try the popcorn topping use mentioned earlier but I primarily use it to make "cheese" sauce, like for nachos:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2158/2248102482_11dea9c3f5_o.jpg

treehugga
Apr 18th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I sprinkle it on mixed salad and it adds a delicious flavour. D/t brands taste d/t I currently use 'lotus' in Australia. It's the nicest out of all the brands I've tried.